The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-28-2024, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroad Bum View Post
I guess that 55-point inspection took a smoke break when your $3,000 Gibson was on the bench, lol? That's disappointing, but at least you were able to fix it fairly easily. I am not badmouthing Sweetwater; I just think it's funny that some of these companies advertise stuff like that, and it's obviously BS.
I was thinking the exact same thing...
Old 03-28-2024, 07:27 AM

Quote:
I guess that 55-point inspection took a smoke break when your $3,000 Gibson was on the bench, lol? That's disappointing, but at least you were able to fix it fairly easily. I am not badmouthing Sweetwater; I just think it's funny that some of these companies advertise stuff like that, and it's obviously BS.
You just did badmouth them. I've bought quite a few guitars from S/W and their setups are superior to the posers around my area that have the audacity to call themselves luthiers. You need to communicate with the salespeople, exactly how you want your guitar set up. BS is asking Gibson or Fender to stand behind their inferior products when they fail quickly after you buy them new, and these two companies don't assume any responsibility for what they build.
Old 03-28-2024, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

yep, a K&K fan here, but regardless - a Gibson Songwriter is a nice guitar... I hope (expect) now that you've got this taken care of you will bond with it nicely.
-----
For attempting to learn how to record:
  • Interface: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL
  • DAW: Presonsus StudioOne Artist
  • Computer: Dell Inspiron 15 (windows 11)
  • Mics: Shure SM 57 and 58, Behringer C-2 pair
  • P'up: K&K (J45)
Old 03-28-2024, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Sweetwater's "55 point inspection" is designed to check the guitar against what the manufacturer specifies as acceptable.

That's exactly what they do, and they don't look over an instrument for details that they might determine could be done in a better way.

The "tangled wires" are most likely the result of how that particular manufacturer does the installation of the pickup system and may be done intentionally to prevent a loose loop of wire contacting the guitar and creating noise or buzzing against a internal brace or wood surface.

There are excellent Youtube Sweetwater tours where the 55 point inspection is explained. It's not a "look at 55 points and improve everything we think could be done in a better way" inspection for any guitar selling for $300 and up.

Another point about the "55 point inspection" is that it is NOT a setup. Sweetwater has a professional level repair and setup department and its services are available as an additional cost option for someone wanting a true setup of a guitar that is purchased.

Last edited by Rudy4; 03-28-2024 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I had the exact same problem with the battery holder coming loose in an Alvarez guitar that I purchased from an online dealer about 10 years ago. It happens regardless of the maker or dealer.
The adhesives that are often used for these kinds of things can degrade as they undergo changes in temperature and humidity.
No matter the quality control of the maker or the number of points in a dealer inspection, the guitar still usually has to travel unattended through a variety of circumstances to get from the factory to the dealer and from there to the customer. Sometimes these things aren’t discovered until the player is playing the guitar and it settles into its home environment. It’s a drag but us human beings just don’t get to be in control of everything all of the time as much as we might think we would like to. :-)
Enjoy your new guitar!
Best,
Jayne
Old 03-28-2024, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
It happens regardless of the maker or dealer.
The adhesives that are often used for these kinds of things can degrade as they undergo changes in temperature and humidity.

No matter the quality control of the maker or the number of points in a dealer inspection, the guitar still usually has to travel unattended through a variety of circumstances to get from the factory to the dealer and from there to the customer.
Nice to hear a voice of reason amidst all the caterwauling about this molehill of an issue.
Old 03-28-2024, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Not sure I’d categorize that as a big disappointment. Some sticky tape failed, not a loose brace or anything.
Old 03-28-2024, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasworker View Post
Gibson may appreciate you writing an FYI to let them know. Whatever process they’re using to secure the battery may be flawed. Untangling pickup wire for an hour is a concern and they may have a new person doing the install that needs a little training.
The untangling is difficult as you can't see once your hand is in the sound hole. You take a look with the flashlight, try to determine which way to untangle and give it a try. You keep repeating the process until its free.
Old 03-28-2024, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denandannie View Post
The untangling is difficult as you can't see once your hand is in the sound hole. You take a look with the flashlight, try to determine which way to untangle and give it a try. You keep repeating the process until its free.
Maybe you know this, but you can use your smart phone to take wide angle pics on the inside of the guitar using the flash. It works really well for seeing what's going on in there.
Old 03-28-2024, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
Not sure I’d categorize that as a big disappointment. Some sticky tape failed, not a loose brace or anything.
I disagree. In fact, it's an issue that's so deeply disturbing that although it's not even my guitar, I'm already climbing out a 10th story window.
Old 03-28-2024, 11:34 AM

Yeah, that's annoying. Sometimes the oils from the wood or manufacturing contaminate the adhesive on the velcro. But the upside is that you or a future owner can remove that pickup entirely and won't be stuck with a built-in battery box.
Old 03-28-2024, 12:04 PM

Did the sticky tape have a thin foam layer? The Baggs bags have that foam layer, and it’s tenacious.

It might also be the wood. One guitar I have always dropped its Velcro, until I stopped using my own tape and dredged up a piece of foam backed tape from a Baggs bag. I also cleaned the surface with alcohol.
Furch D24 SR 12 string
Rickenbacker 330w 6 string
Old 03-28-2024, 02:24 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
I bought a set of strings from them. They called me, emailed me and sent
me candy!

-Mike "I think they might have texted me..."
Agreed. The few times I’ve been displeased with a purchase, one phone call and they were all over it.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 03-28-2024, 03:19 PM

it's a bummer but not that big a deal. I get all my electronics removed anyway. Sweetwater will probably send you free strings for your hassle or something.
2021 Martin HD-28 1935 Sunburst
2022 Martin Special 16
2003 Alvarez AJ-60e
2018 Les Paul Standard
2020 61 SG reissue
2013 Fender Mustang Bass
Old 03-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

I don't like either the battery bag or the Taylor type endpin outside loading battery solution, which is why I have Dazzos in my guitars. I also think my SunnAudio DI is better than the typical onboard pre.

I'd make an exception for a Cole Clark.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion