The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-06-2009, 09:47 PM

Default Shipping Problem: damage

Hi,
I need some advice for you guys who've experienced problems with your shipping. I've recently bought a Simon & Patrick guitar from an ebay shop in the US. It arrived damaged: the joint between the fretboard & top (just above the soundhole) as got a gap/ space in it. I've corresponded with the seller and he says it must have been damaged during shipping. I want to claim compensation from the company (USPS) but I don't know how to (I can't even find any contact details from the website). Is this the way to go, or should I do it through paypal? If I should do it through paypal, I'm not sure how to report that I want to be compensated for the damage on my guitar...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
thanks for you help
Old 09-06-2009, 10:47 PM

I have never heard of shipping damage causing a fretboard to separate from the top, and can't imagine how that could happen due to mishandling in shipping. My suggestion is that you try to return the guitar for a refund. It is the shipper who is the insured party, and who has to submit a claim. If this really was shipping damage, let the seller deal with the insurance.

Got photo?
Old 09-06-2009, 11:21 PM
Was Sceptical. Unsure now

Ditto the above.
A specific localized bit of damage well inside the case may raise some questions as opposed to the damage being from the case inwards.

As HK said, the shipper insures.

As well (and I have a thread on this in the Open Mic re. my own guitar) be aware that in most cases when you sign for the delivery of a guitar, you are ALSO signing, declaring, the guitar arrived undamaged. You'll need a very kind, and generous insurer to look beyond that.

Good luck.
"The only real voyage consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes; in seeing the universe through the eyes of another, one hundred others--in seeing the hundred universes that each of them sees." - Marcel Proust.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

I think that you are not signing that the guitar arrived undamaged, but that the box arrived undamaged. When you sign for the receipt of a box, you need to note any exterior damage that may indicate damage to the contents. Many drivers will note that, some may ask you to open the box to check for any damage to contents, and if none is evident, they will note that. For instance, if the cardboard shipping box is torn, and you want to note that on the receiver, they may ask you to open it and check the case. If the case itself is unblemished, and the guitar shows no obvious signs of damage, they will note that as well.They frequently note the location of the exterior damage, and its correlation the the item inside.

All the shipper is interested in is proving that the item being shipped arrived in as good condition as when they picked it up. With no obvious signs of external damage, you're going to have a hard time proving they are responsible. Much better off returning it to the sender, getting your money back, and let them deal with it. But if there are obvious external signs, and you did not note them when you signed for it, you may have some problems.

If they just left the box on your porch and you didn't sign, you need to work closely with the shipper to get it resolved -

Good luck - Tad
Old 09-07-2009, 01:18 AM

thanks for the input.

The seller's doesn't mind me returning the guitar for a full refund but it's conditional. The problem is, the seller wants me to return using the USPS shipping service (which was what he used to deliver the guitar to me) from Australia! Is this even possible? As it is already, I'm paying for the return shipping and now it has to be unnecessarily costly (as opposed to using Austalia Post) Is this request unreasonable?

Photos should be up soon...
Old 09-07-2009, 02:45 AM
Was Sceptical. Unsure now

Australia?
That's a beast of a different colour. Well, you need to work privately with the seller to see what the best course is.

It all comes down whether you want to keep the guitar, repaired with a price adjustment, or do you want nothing to do with it anymore?

If the latter, it would be in the seller's interest to have the guitar remain in the US where there is a MUCH larger market to sell. You may be able to work out something with him.

If the guitar is worth more than $2000 then the seller has a new risk: the guitar coming BACK to Oz may well be subject to duties AND tax, even though the seller can prove prior ownership - again, it's in his interest to keep it in the US. Maybe you can sell it on his behalf for a commission?

The hassles for the seller to get that guitar back with the horrible Customs restrictions and paperwork may induce the seller to work something out with you?
"The only real voyage consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes; in seeing the universe through the eyes of another, one hundred others--in seeing the hundred universes that each of them sees." - Marcel Proust.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Ugggh - International adds a huge complication to it all. This is where the integrity and reputation of the seller make a huge difference when buying, and conversely why so many sellers won't ship internationally.

You should have a good tech look it over and give you a professional evaluation of the problem, and then get a couple opinions on the solution -

Lets hope it's a simple issue - Tad
Old 09-07-2009, 10:41 AM

i do believe that the seller is ok with asking you to return it by his preferred shipper and usually the buyer is responsible for the return charges. also dont think that its likely what you describe is shipping damage
Old 09-07-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbryan710 View Post
thanks for the input.

The seller's doesn't mind me returning the guitar for a full refund but it's conditional. The problem is, the seller wants me to return using the USPS shipping service (which was what he used to deliver the guitar to me) from Australia! Is this even possible? As it is already, I'm paying for the return shipping and now it has to be unnecessarily costly (as opposed to using Austalia Post) Is this request unreasonable?

I believe you'll ship the guitar with Australia Post, at the US border USPS will take over shipping. Even though it was shipped to you via USPS wasn't it delivered by Australia Post? I've never shipped to Australia, but that's how it work in Canada, Japan, The Netherlands, and England.

Maybe laws are different in other countries but in the US if I sell you something I'm (the seller/shipper) responsible for any damage. I (the seller/shipper) have the right to charge you for insurance. If I allow you to decline shipping insurance, I'm (the seller/shipper) still responsible for any damage. Like I said, it may be different in other countries.

Good luck with a resolution to your problem.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody b View Post
I (the seller/shipper) have the right to charge you for insurance. If I allow you to decline shipping insurance, I'm (the seller/shipper) still responsible for any damage.
Never heard of this one......
TTM-KAE

"Whether you have good taste or not depends on how many people agree with you" - George Martin
Old 09-07-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbryan710 View Post
thanks for the input.

This request is not unreasonable in my opinion. USPS is known for good shipping, esp. with guitars. No need to take any more risks from his perspective. USPS is quite cheap in my experience, is costs less than $70 to ship a guitar Internat'l Priority from Mississippi up to Canada. You could always ship USPS using a lower priority for less probably. It will just take longer to get there. Since you have not paid for the git, don't suppose that matters.

Seperate question - why buy a fairly standard guitar and ship that far? You can certainly find equivalent guitars in Aus and avoid all this hassle.
Collings OM2H Custom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion