The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-30-2022, 05:24 PM

Default Zillio course: "Complete Chord Mastery" -- reviews?

Hi, has anyone out there taken this course? Was it worth the considerable expense? I like Zillio's YT videos, but the course he offers seems very expensive.

Last edited by Bookstorecowboy; 08-30-2022 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-28-2024, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

I’m going to resurrect this post since I am looking at Tommaso’s courses. Anyone?
Old 04-02-2024, 08:07 AM

What does the course say it will teach you? "Complete chord mastery" is nebulous clickbait.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-02-2024, 08:30 AM

I agree with Jeff: "Complete Chord Mastery" is obvious clickbait.

That doesn't mean it's worthless of course, there is probably a lot of good stuff in it. If you have the money to spare, I'm sure you will learn useful things from it. (If only "I'm not wasting money of that kind of thing again!" )

But I can't help, because I'm not in the market for such courses, and never have been. I'm old school! "Chord mastery" for me meant a "chord dictionary" book (more chords than you could ever want, and cheap), a few years of practice, and learning a ton of songs!
Then again "mastery" wasn't in my vocabulary. I just learned the music I wanted to play. If I came across something difficult in the music, that's when I'd learn it.

So - if I was to offer advice, that would be it: don't look for short cuts, formulas and secrets, especially from folks who just have stuff to sell, with silly clickbait ads and titles. Learn the music you want to play. Get help with that when you need it, of course, but start from the music. Not from books about how to play the music (which might not help with the specific things you want to learn anyway).

Last edited by JonPR; 04-02-2024 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-02-2024, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Here is his website:
https://www.musictheoryforguitar.com...r-lessons.html

Impressive website. I will give him that.

Some people get on theoretical this or that conveyor belts and can't get off.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-02-2024, 02:16 PM

"What if you already knew and were able to play any chord on the guitar, in any position?"

I could give you the tools to do that in 3 sentences.

The rest of it definitely feels like clickbait...any time there's "the one trick" or "this simple hack" my BS meter dimes.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-02-2024, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

I like Zillio and his videos. I haven’t opted for his big course either. It probably is good, I think he knows a lot and teaches pretty effectively and is entertaining.

After about 3 years so far learning guitar, however, I have come to the opinion that I have already put more time into learning guitar theory than is probably helpful at this stage.

Learning theory over time will (I presume) add to how you play, write and perceive music. Learning too much of it early in your “journey” is likely premature as it will not mesh with your abilities. They will best proceed in tandem, which means slowly.

What I need is to play songs, learn the skills required to play them and learn a bit about how the cord/note relations go in the song if I want to expand my understanding.

It does help to understand why the notes are there and how they relate to each other. But trying to “master the fretboard” or learning “Complete chord Mastery” puts the cart before the horse. They don’t help much if you can’t play anything.
Old 04-02-2024, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

I've felt like I needed to do this and I ended up finding a teacher that specializes in the method book I'm working through.

It was worth it. He sized me up and gave me exactly the information and path I needed for my purposes.

[Edited out for reasons unrelated to this thread or content of my original comment]

Of course, chord progressions are a different story. I have a few books I went through for that, but I still don't have a good grasp. Instead of playing through a bunch of chord progressions, I think it would be better to continue learning songs and make sure I chart out how the progressions are structured.

Last edited by OnTheFidele; 04-03-2024 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-02-2024, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

I guess it depends on were you are in how you choose to learn.

Right now, if feel like all that is great information and great practice, but I am not at a place where I think I am ready to actually use it to play music.

I know that I can’t book learn my way to play guitar. All the CAGED scales and patterns in the world won’t help me if I can’t make music with just one of them.

It is great you feel that is what you need and where you are.
Old 04-02-2024, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Mainly learn to play actual pieces of music is my advice. Improve you playing technique that way. Second do a fair amount of listening to get a feel for
what you like and why (some theory can help there to know what sort of things to listen for).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-04-2024, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Ok then. I will post something if I take it.

Last edited by Merak; 04-04-2024 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 04-05-2024, 01:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Here is his website:
https://www.musictheoryforguitar.com...r-lessons.html

Impressive website. I will give him that.

Some people get on theoretical this or that conveyor belts and can't get off.
It is a good website.

The “CHORD MASTERY” tag is click-baity but in my opinion forgivable.

The bit I didn’t like was this line “this course is for you whether you are a beginner, intermediate level or an advanced player.” I don’t believe there is any such course.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write