The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-11-2003, 02:02 PM

Default advice needed

hey all....I am just about to change my strings , so I figured I might as well oil the fretboard also......any advice out there as far as how much oil to use , how long should I let it sit before stringing it , best way to apply it ...etc. ? I have never done this , and my 710 kce is a ,'97 model ....I dont think the previous owner has ever done this ... , if so , it was only once....how often should I do this ? once a year I would think would be enough.....sorry if the questions are dumb , but I figured I might as well consult the experts....thanx all
Old 09-11-2003, 02:25 PM
Bit Flipper

Good question. I've never oil a fingerboard. FWIW, this is all could find at the Taylor site on the subject caring for the fingerboard. Alas, it doesn't address oiling, just cleaning.

Quote:
...As for cleaning the ebony fingerboard, we recommend dry, extra-fine steel wool (.000 to .00000). You can rub pretty hard without damaging the fingerboard; just be careful not to touch the body with it!
2003 Taylor 110, "Credo"
2003 Taylor Baby Mahogany, "Lucy"
2005 Washburn C104SCE
Old 09-11-2003, 02:32 PM

I use the gibson "luthiers choice", fretboard oil. When i do it i take strings of, put one drop of (dont know the AE word for it) "dishing soap", into a cup of not too warm water. Then using an old toothbrush getting all the dirt of. just make shure you dont use too much soap and dry the fretboard out. take a couple of frets at the time, then dry the water of with a cloth. An ebony fretboard i usually oil two times, just using a cloth with oil on. Then on with the strings, and she plays like a dream!

Sorry for my terrible english. Some more time at this forum and it will get better...

/Lars
Old 09-11-2003, 03:18 PM

Default my take

Most music stores have some product for fretboards, I use a lemon oil made for violin fretboards. I don't like using steel wool or anything that dries the board out. It will absorb really quickly so I put on a light coat, let it set for a couple of minutes, and use a soft cloth to polish it out. I do that maybe three times a year.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:31 PM

I use Kyser's Lem-Oil, which I understand to be mineral oil with lemon scent in it. I rub it in moderately with a soft cloth, let it sit for a few minutes, and then wipe off the excess. I do this about once a year.

If there's a lot of gunk on the fretboard, I use the Lem-Oil with a small piece of light-duty Scotchbrite (no soap or sponge). I don't use steel wool because it sheds and makes a mess. Scotchbrite holds together and can even be re-used several times.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:50 PM

If you use steel wool to clean the fret board, try to keep the shavings from getting into your electronics, and from getting inside the guitar! 3M makes a scouring pad product that is supposed to work as well as extra fine steel wool. I use Guitar Honey. Whatever you use, don't use too much of it, a little goes a long way. I play every day, and find that I only need to clean my fret board twice a year. (I polish up the frets then too). The point is to get that piled up gunk off the wood, which is probably a vile compound made from dead skin and sweat
Old 09-11-2003, 04:00 PM

mtnbrz, that scouring pad you mentioned is Scotchbrite. You can buy it in thin pads measuring about 4x6" and cut off small pieces as you need them.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:23 PM

I usually oil the fretboards on my instruments about once a year.... that seems to work out well for me

taylorplayer
Old 09-11-2003, 05:37 PM

thanx for the replies guys....i'm on my way to shine my baby up now....much obliged....
Old 09-11-2003, 06:01 PM

Unless your fretboard is distressed and or overly dry I don't thin putting oil on it is a good idea.

I used to use a fret dressing by Dunlop and after a while I learned that all it did was make the fretboard collect grime quicker and spoil the string life.

That is my experience with oiling . Rosewood and I assume ebony are naturally oily wood and with care should not need Oil per se. If it needed Oil Bog would have told you

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion