The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2022, 04:31 PM

EMTsteve fails to placate the gods of autocorrect, who then mock him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtsteve View Post
This has been an interesting and informative thread. I do subscribe to AGF having received a nice 3 year rate a while back. I enjoy the magazine. They have a tough task trying to respond to the widely varied audience needs. And I get their needing to not bite that hand that feeds them with advertisers, so I take any gear reviews with a grain of salt. In this new issue, there are lessons that span from beginner to advanced, articles on Billy String and Normal Blake, and an article about a family luthier business. I think they do a nice job being as many things to as many people as possible w/o alienating their money stream (advertisers).
MinorKey, stepping up, suggests the listed artists are unknown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinorKey View Post
Who the heck is Billy String? And the other guy? And that's the trouble with guitar mags. I've never heard of half the artists featured!

I'll help fill MinorKey in with the secret info on these two:

Billy String was the inventor of the Diddley Bow, an instrument that this picker prizes since some days I can't hit a barn door with my pick. Billy, after being bitten by a radioactive mandolin which cloned him, became Billy Strings. I understand he and his clone now plays a mean guitar with more than one string -- but what with the 20 fingers it must be easy.

Normal Blake is another artist after my own heart. I usually cross-pick with a flat pick. On good days I can make some pleasant music, you know like someone with normal talent -- like well, Normal Blake. Norman Blake has a similar name, but is much more talented and accomplished.

Acoustic Guitar magazine is keeping these secrets from us.

Oh, and Doug Young's contributions here: highly valued by this forum member.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-10-2022, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburg325 View Post
I do care about acoustic guitar and Acoustic Guitar. I've been along for the ride from day one. I would like to see it get better so it can thrive. I want it to thrive.

My day job is in strategy, copy, and design. I would be happy to help in any way possible. No charge! Doug, let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
Well, I suggested several already:

Send them a list of specific things, gear they should review, artists they should cover, topics that need to be addressed.

Write an article yourself and submit it, either as an article you'd really like them to publish, or as an example of the writing/design style you prefer.

I'm more than happy to send you one of my articles for your editing/critique. It'd be a win/win/win, I'd learn how to write more excitingly (if I understand what you want), you'd have a clear example of what you'd like to see changed to show AG, and AG could see a concrete example of what you think they should do to make their style match your taste. I'm very used to getting my writing sent back to me filled with red ink, I'd be happy to have the feedback.

I think all these things would be more actionable by AG than reading complaints, which I suspect would get you further toward your goals.
Old 02-10-2022, 04:52 PM

I think everyone has said what they wanted to say, so I am closing this thread.

Rick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion