The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-08-2022, 07:14 PM

Default Humidity Opinions Wanted

Hey everybody, I know what you're saying, "Please! Not another humidity question!!!" Sorry, I'll keep it short.
My room humidifier is less than predictable. It's got a High output setting, a Low output setting, and a variable dial (that doesn't work) for fine tuning. On low it hovers at 40%. On high it hovers at 60%. 50% would be nice, but that ain't happening.
My question is this: since a dry guitar shrinks, and a wet guitar expands, in my situation would you opt for the higher or the lower humidity setting? If there was going to be any damage caused, would it be more likely to happen to an expanding guitar, or to a guitar that was shrinking? Any thoughts would be welcome. What would you do, if faced with this problem?

Thanks.........Dave
Mackenzie & Marr "Tofino X" OM (cedar/mahogany)
"Guitars from the past"
Gibson ES-347
Bourgeois Advanced Slope D,
Martin D-41
1964 Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Folk Cedar
Fender PM-2 Parlor All Mahogany
Old 02-08-2022, 07:37 PM

You're well within the safe range at 40-60% RH so either one will be fine for the guitar. I would personally choose 40% as I feel that guitars can sound a little better when they're on the dryer side.
Old 02-08-2022, 07:48 PM

I agree if you keep your RH around 40% you should be fine.
Old 02-08-2022, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
You're well within the safe range at 40-60% RH so either one will be fine for the guitar. I would personally choose 40% as I feel that guitars can sound a little better when they're on the dryer side.
Thanks for that Osage. I'm really not too concerned about damage, since the 40% to 60% range is acceptable. What I am looking for is opinions, such as yours, regarding the guitar's performance. And also when there is, if any, potential for damage, would one take the chance regarding the humidity level at the low end or the high end?
"Guitars from the past"
Gibson ES-347
Martin D-41
1964 Fender Telecaster
Old 02-08-2022, 08:06 PM

I would suggest 40 percent although either would be fine. Martin suggests 45-55 percent. I wish that my whole house humidifier would get the humidity up that high. I have to store my D-45 in its case with humidifiers in the case.

How big is your room?

Tom
Old 02-08-2022, 08:24 PM

I'm know I'm hopelessly naive, but I have only one acoustic that I care about (an Eastman dreadnought). I live in Oklahoma and I know that our humidity varies throughout the year, but I can't (yet) care about the humidity. I've kept it out on a stand for an entire calendar year, and I think it has sounded great the entire time. I haven't given humidity a second thought.

If I had a high-end Martin or a Collings or a Santacruz, I'm sure I'd brush up on this topic, but...
Old 02-08-2022, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teashea View Post
I wish that my whole house humidifier would get the humidity up that high.

Tom
Sharing FYI... I just got the Aprilaire 800 whole house humidifier and it seems to be working well. It has been maintaining 49%RH even during very cold days and low outdoor humidity.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:39 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by teashea View Post
I would suggest 40 percent although either would be fine. Martin suggests 45-55 percent. I wish that my whole house humidifier would get the humidity up that high. I have to store my D-45 in its case with humidifiers in the case.

How big is your room?

Tom
I don't think I'm going to worry too much about it. I'm just curious, and value the opinions of other knowledgeable people. When it comes to opinions about guitars, it's all about the Acoustic Guitar Forum for me.
I'm not a great guitarist, but I have had expensive high-end guitars over the years that I honestly never felt really all that comfortable with. Everytime I'd look at it, and consider picking it up and playing it, I get this feeling that the guitar is saying, "Dave, if you're going to play me, you'd better play me good." Pressure? So now I have a small group of good sounding, relatively inexpensive, very playable guitars. I play them all quite often, and I don't fret over them all that much. I have them all out on stands so there handy when the mood strikes. Sometimes I just like to look at them. They're like artwork. In a case, they're all alone. I don't think I'll ever buy another really serious high-end guitar. I couldn't afford it even if I wanted too. So if, perish the thought, one of my low-end guitars has structural problems, I won't have to go running down the street screaming! I'll just make a planter out of it, and buy another one.

Cheers......Dave .........PS...I almost forgat your question. The room's 12'x12', but theirs an opening (no door) to a 10'x10' kitchen, and on another wall a 4' opening (again no door) to a large 12'x20' living room.
"Guitars from the past"
Gibson ES-347
Martin D-41
1964 Fender Telecaster

Last edited by Solina Dave; 02-08-2022 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:51 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

You’re fine either way…but I prefer the snap of a drier guitar. So if I had to chose between a stubby 60% and a crisp 40% I’m going for the latter.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:15 PM

You can pick up a pretty cheap, but reliable hygrometer (I think that is the correct term) off of Amazon to keep an eye out.
Old 02-08-2022, 10:39 PM
Runaway Tomato

I agree wif everyone else - the guitar will sound a little crisper at 40, a little muddy at 60.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 02-09-2022, 05:00 AM
Charter Member

With an external humidity controller you can set your humidity exactly where you want it.

https://www.amazon.com/Humidity-Cont...44480949&psc=1

Also, onboard humidity controllers on humidifiers can be notoriously inaccurate. I maintain 40% with my large Aircare, the onboard humidity readout shows 55%.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 02-10-2022, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
With an external humidity controller you can set your humidity exactly where you want it.
Actually Paul, thanks for that. I just recently was looking at those controllers, and thinking that might be a good idea. But I think I may have found a simple solution to my problem.
As I said before, my music room is kind of open to the rest of my apartment. The music room is only 12'x12', but it has large openings to the rest of the apartment, which itself has a rather open concept. This morning, even with the humidifier set to its lowest setting, the humidity was 61%. So I tried moving the humidifier out of the room, and now its nearly 20' feet away from my guitars. My Oasis hygrometer has been reading a solid 52% at 74ºF in my music room all day today. So life is good!
"Guitars from the past"
Gibson ES-347
Martin D-41
1964 Fender Telecaster
Old 02-10-2022, 04:09 AM
Charter Member

40% ...when my guitars get to 50%+, they start to sound a bit thuddy.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 02-10-2022, 11:49 AM

40% is what I shoot for. Actually, here in Texas, I'm trying to keep it above 20%. My old Kenmore room humidifier does it, but I don't parse fine distinctions. 40% is much better than 20%, and for me, 60% would be too much.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion