The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-07-2022, 12:45 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default How did I become such a Sapele snob?

I'm looking at a bunch of guitars and I come across a $8,000+ guitar that has sapele back and sides. My first impulse was to say to myself "No way I'll pay that for sapele."

How did that happen?

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-07-2022, 01:10 PM

You forget that you are also paying for the builder.
Old 02-07-2022, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

I can remember wondering years ago if sapele was just another mahogany-wanna-be. Today, while there are similarities, I see sapele as it's own tone wood.

I now own two all solid Eastmans (E2OM-CD Cedar/Sapele) and (AC108CE-LTD Adirondack/Sapele). They sound great.

Last edited by FingahPickah; 02-09-2022 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-07-2022, 01:35 PM

I think we became accustomed to mahogany and accepted it as the standard. When sapele popped onto the seen it was a "substitute" or second wood when thought of in relation to "mahogany" and therefore not as good.

I imagine the same kind of thinking occurred when Indian rosewood started to be used instead of Brazilian.

So, treasure those mahogany guitars.... someday they will be selling for exorbitant prices... just like Brazilian rosewood is today...

I already have a basement full of mahogany guitars just waiting for that day....

Enjoying:

Larrivee CS-09 DF (Sitka/Ziricote)

Recording King ROS 616 (All Mahogany) project

Last edited by E-OM; 02-07-2022 at 01:36 PM. Reason: correction
Old 02-07-2022, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post

How did that happen?
Nothing strange about it. I have two mahogany back/side guitars, and two sapele b/s guitars. The later two cost half what the former two cost. That's just how the market works these days because mahogany is in higher demand.

I think we're all coming to realize that there's nothing tonally cheap about sapele. If it were harder to come by, we'd be paying more for it, and it would be used in more higher-grade guitars.
Old 02-07-2022, 01:40 PM

Sapele is a fine tonewood... especially if the builder knows how to bring out the best in it. As mentioned before, you're paying for the build, not *just* the wood.
Old 02-07-2022, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Sapele(IMO) can make for an outstanding guitar and YET, I also still have some (now unjustified) bias against Sapele. I attribute this to early Sapele guitars I played years ago being lower end and not so well built with "meh" tone. It was likely due to the construction and not the wood, but it's hard to shake off initial impressions.

I experienced the same with cherry wood guitars years ago that were built with more emphasis on sustainablility than quality of the build. Eventually I played a cherry Bourgeois LDBO, which is now one of my "lifers".
Old 02-07-2022, 01:52 PM

I imagine in another 50 years or so, when you can't get real" mahogany anywhere, maybe then the stigma on Sapele will lift...

And now that I've attempted to be the voice of reason, I'll make a shallow but true (to me) comment: Sapele just doesn't look as good to me as mahogany. The banding/striping is often just a bit too busy to my eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-07-2022, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I imagine in another 50 years or so, when you can't get real" mahogany anywhere, maybe then the stigma on Sapele will lift...

And now that I've attempted to be the voice of reason, I'll make a shallow but true (to me) comment: Sapele just doesn't look as good to me as mahogany. The banding/striping is often just a bit too busy to my eyes.
I don't know if this image supports or counters your point

This is from my Edwinson Performance multi scale that is Euro Spruce and Pomele Quilt Sapele

Personally I think this is a wonderful guitar both in looks and sound.

I will add that in the case of this guitar and most of my guitars I try to buy with little preconceived notions of what it should sound like from the pieces that go into it's construction.

In this case many of Steve's Edwinson guitars had caught my eye from several threads on the forum. This instrument caught my attention visually and in general characteristics (setup size ergos etc), I then went back and forth with Steve quite a bit in conversation and email over what I was looking for and like and then he offered a trial period where he sent it to me to play at home. Needless to say it has stayed with me.

IMG_20220207_120614004.jpg

Last edited by Aspiring; 02-07-2022 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-07-2022, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

I've played and owned a grand total of one sapele b/s guitar - a 2013 Taylor custom cedar/sapele GA, so I'm no expert on the subject of sapele. But I do love the looks and tone of this one.

Collings, Froggy Bottom, Huss & Dalton, Santa Cruz, Taylor and the requisite Martin and Gibson
Old 02-07-2022, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

As an owner of an $8,000 Sapele/Englemann Rod Schenk guitar I’m here to tell you it’s a fabulous tone wood! Sapele may look like mahogany, it is however significantly more dense than mahogany so sound wise, IMHO, I would call it a mix of mahogany and rosewood (like if they had a baby) …very crisp and clear.

Rod Schenk builds exceptionally fabulous guitars and this one blows away pretty much any other guitar I’ve owned! According to Rod: Sapele is an excellent wood choice that provides clear notes and articulate chords. Probably the most underrated choices for providing amazing sound.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8C10BA8F-F232-47B4-9334-632352DAE82B.jpg (39.3 KB, 485 views)
File Type: jpg 3ADF2FC0-798C-4F9E-B9E8-B60AF7DAA086.jpg (39.3 KB, 482 views)

2020 Brad Goodman J185
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Last edited by sevenpalms; 02-07-2022 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-07-2022, 02:43 PM

My Foley is Adirondack/Pommele Saplele and the tone is unreal.
Old 02-07-2022, 02:48 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs9YPWPuIfQ

I have SCGC Bear Claw Sitka Quilted Sapele Dred instead of the OM on the video. This is one of my best sounding guitar that I have.
Old 02-07-2022, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

I'll add...one day when it's in short supply, the next generation(s) of players will pine over those lucky old timers who could get a Sapele guitar. LOL
Old 02-07-2022, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

I don't know what mojo Taylor put into the DN3 (Sapele b&s), but the two I owned rivaled the D18 I owned in every way. I've never thought of Sapele as inferior to Mahogany.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion