The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-05-2022, 03:41 AM
Charter Member

Since the seventies I've used a cloth diaper I keep in the case with isopropyl alcohol. I like the squeak you get when the gunk has come off. And someone commented about bronze oxidizing and turning green. Alcohol takes care of that, too.

However, I think I've recently gone in the opposite direction, and I don't know if it's good or not. I'm using the Music Nomad string care applicator. It definitely makes the strings more slippery, but I wonder if it leads to gunk buildup. It's too soon to tell. Maybe I can keep using the string care before I play, and wipe down with alcohol afterwards?
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC

Last edited by b1j; 02-05-2022 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-05-2022, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I've never used anything on my strings other than wiping them down with a cloth after playing (and washing my hands beforehand)....
My answer as well...
Old 02-05-2022, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

I'm a changer. If I had a gig tomorrow, I'd change em today.

I refuse to use a coated string.

Coated strings to me, sound like a string that needs to me changed, right off the bat.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Essentially, all you need is a soft, damp cloth and a dry cloth to care for your guitar. Why spend time and money chasing down unneeded products made of harmful chemicals in plastic containers that will end up in landfills or need to be recycled?
Old 02-05-2022, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I've never used anything on my strings other than wiping them down with a cloth after playing (and washing my hands beforehand). Looking forward to responses in this thread on string cleaners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
My answer as well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
Essentially, all you need is a soft, damp cloth and a dry cloth to care for your guitar. Why spend time and money chasing down unneeded products made of harmful chemicals in plastic containers that will end up in landfills or need to be recycled?
Amen, Amen, AMEN to all of those!

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 02-05-2022, 11:34 AM

I'm a six-of-one-a-half-dozen-of-the-other guy. I have some of Stringjoy's Natural String Conditioner and will, on occasion, rub down my strings. Whether it extends string life or not is something I can't determine. I do know that at times it seems to make the strings feel easier to play. Sometimes I put away my guitar without wiping it down. Still other times, I change the strings. I'm not sure there's any benefit or drawback. It's just a thing.
Old 02-05-2022, 11:37 AM
Musical minimalist

Never add anything to your strings, you want to remove organics.

Best thing for that is wool.

Wrap a small piece around the whole string, pinch it on both sides (the underside builds up too) and wipe up and down the entire length.

Old 02-07-2022, 08:35 AM

Im very anal about keeping my eyeglasses clean. I purchase from Walmart these alcohol based towelettes made by a company called Zeiss. After a quick wipe of my glasses I use the still damp towelette on my guitar strings. Does a great job on my non coated strings but not sure how they would work on coated strings.
Old 02-07-2022, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Smile This

Kiser KDS100 string cleaner

Oh-oh…. Just read an online review saying they have changed the formula and it now contains silicone. Dang! CAUTION….

Kyser just told me on the phone it contains a trace of silicon, but they are no longer making it…. Good thing I still have about 10 years worth left! Sheesh

https://store.banjobenclark.com/prod...string-cleaner

I have used the original stuff religiously for over 20 years, and it has never harmed any finish on any guitar. It used to be called Dr. Stringfellow.

Leaves strings a bit slick, which I like. Easy on your fingers.

Good for cleaning fretboards and back of necks, too.

I detest a sticky neck, and this stuff takes care of that great.

Just use a clean cotton, wool, or microfiber cleaning cloth, to remove any excess after cleaning with the product.

One or two spritz on a clean cloth and then wipe away gunk like magic! Hahahaha

Usual disclaimers apply… YMMV, etc.

Do NOT put the pump bottle in your case pocket. Leaks are always possible…

Play on and slide easy!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

Last edited by Guitars44me; 02-07-2022 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-07-2022, 03:06 PM

Some seem to have strong opinions about using or not using strings cleaners. People who use string cleaners tend to be less evangelical and without their heels dug in.

The interesting thing to me is I've yet to hear an argument as to why it's a problem using them. I hear things like "it's all you need" and "never put anything like that on your strings, or fretboard".

People's chemistry varies. Some salts and acids are more aggressive. Some live in more humid and warmer climates, etc. and I doubt there's a one size fits all generalization. I wipe down the fretboard and strings after I use Fast Fret. I'm guessing the regular cleaning and wiping down reduces gunk and I find my guitars are very clean.

What I have found is that phosphor bronze acoustic strings oxidize very quickly and not only cause roughness, but squeaks on the strings, black oxide sacrificing onto my fingers, and shorter string life. But hey, that's me

Last, now that I use Martin SPs and Monels on my acoustics the necessity of wiping and/or cleaning is greatly reduced along with massively increased string life. I still wipe down my electric strings however.
Old 02-07-2022, 03:12 PM

I don't put any chemical on mine, but do use this after every gig. Quickly cleans the topside, underneath the string and the fretboard. I have one in each guitar case.

https://www.amazon.com/The-String-Cl...77611844&psc=1

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 02-07-2022, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post

Kyser just told me on the phone it contains a trace of silicon, but they are no longer making it…. Good thing I still have about 10 years worth left! Sheesh

My favorite string cleaner. Guess I'll have to go a different route. I think the idea to use the Zeiss eyeglass cleaner wipes is a good one. May check that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotom1052 View Post
Im very anal about keeping my eyeglasses clean. I purchase from Walmart these alcohol based towelettes made by a company called Zeiss. After a quick wipe of my glasses I use the still damp towelette on my guitar strings. Does a great job on my non coated strings but not sure how they would work on coated strings.
Thanks for the tip. If you see it pulling gunk off your strings that means it is working, especially if there is no residue and no reaction with the strings.
Old 02-07-2022, 10:40 PM

I fall into the camp of not using cleaners and conditioners. I think regular string changes and regular set ups are part of owning a good sounding guitar. I think that lots of players view string changes and set ups as a "cost". To me they're not--they're an "expense" of routine maintenance.

For example, if our favorite guitar hero hands off his guitar at the end of a show and knows that when he plays it the next day it will likely have new strings and a slight adjustment to the setup, why would we think we can go months at a time without the same?
Old 02-07-2022, 11:32 PM
Charter Member

Best way to keep strings vibrant?
Don't get em dirty in the first place.
I wash my hands each and every time before I touch the strings.
I am big on Preventative medicine.
If I want my health to be better, I eat better foods(well I try). Can't stop your families heredity medical issues, but you can slow it down with proper nutrition.
I view string care in the same way. Just wash away the oils from your hand first.
Now in some cases, regardless, there are those who have acidic hands. And washing every single time may not solve the entire issue. I often stop and wash my hands after half hour or more of playing. If I stop...look at the computer and touch my face...I wash my hands before picking up the guitar again.
I did try John Pearse String wipes..I like very much John Pearse Strings..but did not find any real value in the strings wipes.
And then there is one more issue to consider. With thin Metal cores behind the wraps, the metal does fatigue from being under constant tension. Possibly the wrapping fatigues as well? This is a question that of course, could probably never be truly answered.
As someone who worked professionally with metals..I can tell you than in general the fatigue value of metal is super small....that is...until you thin it out and put it under stress. Basically what I am saying is yes, dirt, oils and grime make a difference but over time...so does the tension on a string. How much of a difference? Could not say. Just another factor
Solution? buy strings in bulk and get discounts.
Old 02-08-2022, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
With thin Metal cores behind the wraps, the metal does fatigue from being under constant tension. Possibly the wrapping fatigues as well? This is a question that of course, could probably never be truly answered. [/INDENT]
As someone who worked professionally with metals..I can tell you than in general the fatigue value of metal is super small....that is...until you thin it out and put it under stress. Basically what I am saying is yes, dirt, oils and grime make a difference but over time...so does the tension on a string. How much of a difference? Could not say. Just another factor
Absolutely. Just keep your hands clean. And metal fatigue? This is even more true for anyone who dabbles in alternate tunings. The more you move the pitch of a string around the faster that string loses life. So what good does it do such a player even if they use strings made from palladium and then dipped in unobtanium?

I'm not knocking expensive strings, but I've discovered that expensive doesn't make a lot of sense when I'm jumping around between Open G6, Open Dadd9, freaky Andy Mckee and Don Ross tunings, and then back to Standard. I've found a handful that are half the cost of the most expensive out there and sound better too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion