The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-08-2022, 10:54 AM

Default Belated NGD

A recent post about bearclaw reminded me that I need to post about a recent impulse purchase. This popped up on Chicago Music Exchange’s used listings and the top grabbed my attention. I love bearclaw and this top looked cool with both the bearclaw and varied grain width. It was like new and priced right so I jumped on it. Came in with not a mark on it and the plastic still on the pickguard.

It’s the newer Martin Dreadnaught Junior. Set up was perfect and the tone and volume very satisfying. I did pull the stock Retro .12 strings and went with some DR Rare pbs I had in .13 gauge. Big improvement! I am really enjoying this little guy. I’m finding that I gravitate towards my smaller guitars 90% of the time. This one may share travel time with my GS Mini.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Can't go wrong with those Jr's...I have an older one and it has a pretty big "bear claw" "imperfection" or what ever you want to call it on the top. I like that it has it's special mark on it. I wonder if they use wood that is not quite perfect enough for their upper end guitars? Which is fine by me. It sounds great. Congrats on your Jr.
Old 02-08-2022, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Congrats emtsteve! Nice Dred JR, enjoy!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 02-08-2022, 08:24 PM

Great catch! That top really is nice. These are pretty cool Martins. Enjoy playing!

Best,

Mac
Old 02-08-2022, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

I love tops with Bearclaw in them. Looks great. How does it compare in size with your Mini?
Old 02-08-2022, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

That’s gonna be a lot of fun to play, Steve!

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 02-09-2022, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

The first thing I'd do is swap that saddle for a real bone one. I think that's corian or possibly tusq. You should notice a big difference. That and the 13 gauge strings are perfect.
Old 02-09-2022, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Very nice guitar, Steve! Congratulations!

I like the top!

- Glenn
Old 02-09-2022, 11:47 AM

Congrats on the JR. That's a nice looking top!

I bought the Sapele version in December and I'm a huge fan of these little guys. Best of luck with it!

I'm getting ready to swap out the strings and I'm thinking about some DRs also. Possibly Sunbeams.
Old 02-09-2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
The first thing I'd do is swap that saddle for a real bone one. I think that's corian or possibly tusq. You should notice a big difference. That and the 13 gauge strings are perfect.
I have the all Sapele version.

Bone saddle made a difference but it really popped when the plastic pins were replaced with Waverly Ivoroid pins. Mids and trebles are clearer but the biggest difference was an increase in sustain.

The plain ones were $9 but I splurged for the $14 abalone inlay version. Either way, it was money well spent.

Always do the easy and cheap thing first.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:40 AM

One thing I forgot to mention is when I changed strings I noticed the saddle wasn't perfectly flat, it would rock a bit the long ways. So I sanded it down just a touch to get it true. Sounds pretty darn good with whatever saddle that it has now. I may or may not try the bone saddle and pins, we'll see.

When it arrived I A/B'd it with my GS Mini and it definitely feels bigger, of course the nut width is noticeable (1 3/4 vs 1 11/16) and Mini's body is noticeably smaller too. Since someone asked, and I'm curious too, I took some measurements (first number is Mini, 2nd is D Jr):

OAL: 37" 37 3/4"
Scale: 23 5/8 24 1/8
Width lower bout 14 1/4" 14 1/4"
Body length: 17 3/4" 18 1/4"
Body depth: 3 3/4" 3 7/8"

I took a couple photos that I'll attach in another post from my phone (I'm on my laptop now). So the DJr is a bit larger all the way around but only by 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch and the depth is real close. Sure can feel it when playing though and I think the biggest factor in that is the scale. The sound from the D Jr is bigger too, although the GS Mini is plenty loud. The Martin sounds like a Martin and the Taylor sounds like a Taylor (go figure!). For plane travel the GS Mini is the winner for the slightly smaller size and awesome bag. Travel by car and the DJr is the winner. Around the house I hardly ever play my Mini but the DJr I am really enjoying. My Mini has a K&K and sound real nice amped and the DJr is acoustic only. I have upgraded the saddle and pins in the Mini.

All in all, the biggest differences are the neck width and the crappy bag with the Martin. I have a spare hard case that fits and another Martin gig bag (the nice blue one) that I'll use instead. Some folks have to have 1 3/4 but I get along OK with the narrower nut.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:43 AM

Old 02-10-2022, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTiimm View Post
I have the all Sapele version.

Bone saddle made a difference but it really popped when the plastic pins were replaced with Waverly Ivoroid pins. Mids and trebles are clearer but the biggest difference was an increase in sustain.

The plain ones were $9 but I splurged for the $14 abalone inlay version. Either way, it was money well spent.

Always do the easy and cheap thing first.
I reamed and slotted the bridge on mine and used unslotted ivoroid pins the day I got it.
Old 02-10-2022, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! Love that top.
Old 02-10-2022, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Very nice! Enjoy in good health!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion