The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-04-2024, 02:45 PM

Default Brand new PRS model

Has anyone laid their hands on the new PRS? It’s the SE CE 24 Standard Satin, and it retails for $499.

Link to PRS SE CE 24 Standard Satin

It’s seems to be a lot of guitar for the money, but I have no electric guitar experience to base that on.
I think if PRS does the same treatment to a single cut body, and prices it that low, they’ll have sold me a guitar.
Old 03-08-2024, 04:51 AM

The SE's have really come on , the SE DGT is a winner too for those who can't justify a core or above.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:53 PM

In an era of rampant inflation and shrinkflation, this SE looks like a lot of guitar for that price! Kudos to PRS!

Edward
Old 03-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

As a very satisfied owner of the Core version of the CE 24 I can say it is a lot of guitar with a lot of tonal options

And while I would say it is it's own tonal character and does not exactly copy the sound of either an Gibson LP or a Fender Strat/Tele it definitely gives the flavor =esk sound and reasonable range of options from a Humbucker to a single coil

The only thing I have noticed (which is not a big deal or deal killer) it there is a slight drop in volume level when switching from humbucker to coil tap.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-21-2024, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarhog View Post
What a good looking and great sounding guitar! And that PRS amp sounds wonderful, too!

I don't know... Maybe a guy can't own them all, but holy cow! What a lovely combination of guitar and amp!

- Glenn
Old 03-21-2024, 02:18 PM

As I mentioned in an earlier thread I just happened upon a PRS Swamp Ash SE as I was shopping for strings. I just could not put the thing down and wound up playing it for over an hour. Couldn’t help it…purchased it later that day. The guitar simply plays great, feels great, looks great and above all there’s not a single pickup position that doesn’t crush it. It probable the only guitar I’ve played where the humbuckers are as jangly (in a humbucker kind of way) as the splits. It’s just a monster in almost every way.
Old 03-24-2024, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

I had the joy of playing a couple of these at the local GC this past weekend. I was quite surprised at how good they sound for a $500 guitar. Plenty of sustain and they looked nice too. I thought they sounded really good.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:21 AM

I've had the core CE 24 semi hollow for a few years. It has its own sound. I bought 4 of the SE's over the past 2 years, due to the increase in quality and the price reductions: a Hollowbody II, a Baritone, a DGT, and a Swamp ash special. I've had about 20 cores since 1997. The SE series is outstanding to me in every way. The pickups have greatly improved since the mid '90's, and I actually prefer the neck carves on the newer models much more than the old Core models. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:13 PM

SEs are Asian, so they're cheap. It's not a U.S. guitar, but it should be fine.
Old 03-26-2024, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
SEs are Asian, so they're cheap. It's not a U.S. guitar, but it should be fine.
Yikes! Maybe it's just me. It often comes down to that. But respectfully, I dunno if you could be more off-target here. Have you played one of these instruments? They are undeniably not cheap. Not on any build level. I have an original PRS Custom 24 and the difference in built quality is very close. Almost unbelievably close. Yes, the choice of woods is compromised (as you'd expect). Electronics, however, including the pickups are better, at least to my ears than my Custom 24. Playability is the same, neck shape and feel the same. Overall it's just a really solid all-around performer.

Inexpensive. Yes as the cost of entry here defies the norm for an instrument of this quality and price point. Cheap? By no measuring stick is my Swamp Ash cheap.

I dunno if I wanna touch the notion that "it's Asian so it's cheap" comment. A slippery slope comment if there ever was one.
Old 03-27-2024, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

I happened to be back in GC yesterday and one of the three had sold (the gray one) and what was left was the green(ish) colored one and a red one. I personally like the green color and would choose that if buying one. I sat down with these and compared them to some other PRS SE guitars in stock and there are plusses and minuses. I personally prefer the wide fat neck more than the wide thin neck, but I can live with either. My SE Hollowbody II has the wide fat neck and my SE Custom 22 Semi hollow (Santana Yellow) has the wide thin neck. I think the finish on these is quite nice and they look pretty good to me. Not much bling, but definitely nice guitars.

The sound is exactly what you would expect form these pickups. I like what they sound like, though I think on these particular guitars, a little more space between the strings and the pickup(s) works best. The hardware looked fine though of course the tuners are hard to assess. They are smooth enough, but no idea if they will stay in tune for long periods. The frets seemed fine. Not too rough and the edges were good.

Overall, I think these are nice guitars and would easily compete with any Squire or Epiphone I have seen in this price range.
Old 03-27-2024, 04:13 PM

I'd like to get one. $669 (+ 15% tax) at Long & McQuade Canada.

SEs are more than just "bang for the buck" guitars, overall high quality. SEs have been made in Indonesia by Cor-Tek for a few years now.
Old 03-28-2024, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I'd like to get one. $669 (+ 15% tax) at Long & McQuade Canada.

SEs are more than just "bang for the buck" guitars, overall high quality. SEs have been made in Indonesia by Cor-Tek for a few years now.
Long & McQuade kinda sounds like a couple of stuffy barristers

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-28-2024, 06:21 PM

Default PRS SE Custom 22 Semi-hollow

Not the same guitar, but I own a PRS SE Custom 22 Semi-hollow and absolutely love it. It's the perfect balance between a Strat and a Gibson Les Paul. I got it PLEK'd and it's as smooth as glass and a real joy to play. I'm a huge fan of PRS and I'm sure you're going to love yours.
Old 03-29-2024, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Long & McQuade kinda sounds like a couple of stuffy barristers
It does, doesn't it lol. I've bought guitars and gear from 3 different L&M locations (I was a regular at two stores) and the employees were always a class act, helpful, and knowledgeable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars