The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2013, 10:14 AM

Default Eastman e10ss V. Gibson J-45

I'm wondering if anyone has played both of these and can tell me if the sound is similar.

I'm on a quest for a good short scale guitar that still gives me some volume. I've played a few J-45's and haven't been blown away. I played one at a GC that was horrible and a second yesterday at a boutique dealer that sounded pretty good.

I've read that the Eastman is essentially a copy of the Gibson, but is the sound the same? If so, I may skip trying to find an Eastman to play (Few if any dealers in my neck of the woods)

Anybody who has played both have any thoughts?
Old 03-19-2013, 10:53 AM

Nothing but a Gibson is going to sound like a Gibson. I havent tried that particular Eastman but I have owned a couple and they are certainly nice for the money.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:17 AM

I have had the E10SS for a year now and had played several J45's both during my quest and after.

I can say without hesitation I prefer the Eastman. But I will also say it does not sound like a J45.

The E10SS has loads of volume and is a dream to play but it sounds like an Eastman. Clear balanced with good bottom end.

Every J45 I have played in the past year has been a disappointment. I have only ever played one that I liked the sound of. But if you are after a J45 sound...... buy a J45.

And a few others
Old 03-19-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmartin View Post
I have had the E10SS for a year now and had played several J45's both during my quest and after.

I can say without hesitation I prefer the Eastman. But I will also say it does not sound like a J45.

The E10SS has loads of volume and is a dream to play but it sounds like an Eastman. Clear balanced with good bottom end.

Every J45 I have played in the past year has been a disappointment. I have only ever played one that I liked the sound of. But if you are after a J45 sound...... buy a J45.
Actually I'm NOT after the J-45 sound. That's why I asked. I've also been a bit disappointed, so if the intent of Eastman was to build a J-45 replica, I wouldn't bother chasing one down. I'm curious how the Eastman compares to the Seagull you have?
Old 03-19-2013, 11:53 AM

Keep chasing down the E10ss. You will be bowled over by the quality, playability, and sound. Once you've had one in your hands (any Eastman, but mainly the E series) you'll be a convert.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:57 AM

Honestly .... only a J-45 sounds like a J-45, simple as that.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 03-19-2013, 11:59 AM

Wow!
So many posts and people rave about the consistent Gibson quality from Bozeman.
Gibson used to be seemingly one of the worst offenders for producing such a range of dogs and gems but since the Bozeman move I hear almost nothing but praise for their new QC and consistent high quality.

I was GASsing for a 45 too. I tried a few (new) ones in stores and I liked them as much or better than everything else in the store...I mean in an apples to apples comparison..they of course just dont and never really will sound like a Martin or Taylor. You know, the shorter scale and the Gibson thump are not probably for everyone but I really like both those Gibsonesque things. I CAN'T cozy-up to a Gibson's short scale in their electrics though.
I blame a good amount of my 45 GAS on that super sexy smokey looking burst they do. I think it is maybe my all time favorite burst on an acoustic..but I'm not really a burst guy for acoustics...except on the 45.

I just had a Custom built based on an Advanced Jumbo. Adi over eir but with a short-ish scale (25") and I guess the forward shifted scalloped X that an AJ has. To me it's KIND OF a J-45 vibe thing guitar going-on sort-of.
It does thump like an angry old-timer with a Gibson ballcap on. It DOES offer up some of the Gibson "smoke" but it does a lot ...uhhh..more? different? than a J45.

OK the Eastman...or any other faithful repro of a J45.
If it's the same woods and braced and scaled the same as the Gibson J45...ummm...well...it "should" sound pretty close shouldn't it?

I mean you dont have to look any further than here at the AGF to be told multiple times that woods done matter as much as construction. Construction doesnt matter as much as the builder. It's more than a sum of it's parts..blah blah blah..
Then you'll hear from others who say that there is no such thing as "mojo" or magic or ghosts or spirits and that two guitars built identically but in different factories or states will sound different is nonsense..or that somehow ONLY a Gibson sounds like a Gibson or ONLY a Martin sounds like a Martin etc etc is nonsense.

If the Eastman is built with the same woods as the Gibby...and is braced the same...and is the same scale and has the same type and thickness of finish on it (might be pretty important and I dont think they're the same..maybe the only thing that is different other than mayve the machines?)...well, there's no reason to think that the Eastman won't sound equally as crappy as the real J45.

Does having the G-word on the headstock or in the soundhole matter to you? Do you enjoy paying more than you have to for a product? Do you care if it says Made in the USA or Made in China on it's sticker?
If you answered NO to all of those...then I think you can probably get an Eastman that sounds just as bad as a USA made Gibson J45 for a lot less that will make you equally as happy or mad.
2019 Halcyon SJ Cutaway Lutz/Flame walnut JJB SBT
Several PRS electric guitars and good old tube amps.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:16 PM

I agree with newmartin that the E10ss does not sound like a J45. Owned that Eastman model for a short time. What I liked best about it was its scale and body size. And the burst, of course.

I don't know how standardized the Eastman neck shapes are, but mine was comparatively thin, and combined with the 1 11/16" nut, it was just too narrow for me to negotiate. So I traded it in.

I've only ever played two J45s, at GC, but if money weren't a factor, would have chosen either of the Gibsons over the Eastman any day of the week. And twice on Sunday. For one thing, the neck/nut combo was a better fit for me. And, unlike you I've been after the Gibson sound, which is why I bought the E 10 in the first place. People always say you have to play 10 Gibsons to find one good one. I don't know whether or not that's true. Those J45s sounded durned good to me.

But since you're not after a Gibson clone, the Eastman might be just right for you. Not sure how I'd describe the Eastman sound. I'm still working that one out. But I can state with authority that it's not the same as Gibson's.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:22 PM

Eastmans sound like Eastmans, which is a very good thing, IMO.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:07 PM

I have played the eastman, and it sounds very good but not like a J45. You really need to try for yourself.

Fwiw i like the gibson tone and own an AJ. The eastman is more "airy" and chimey. I think the slope dread shape does good things to the eastman tone, which to my ear is muddy in the smaller sized guitars.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhond View Post
I have played the eastman, and it sounds very good but not like a J45. You really need to try for yourself.

Fwiw i like the gibson tone and own an AJ. The eastman is more "airy" and chimey. I think the slope dread shape does good things to the eastman tone, which to my ear is muddy in the smaller sized guitars.
Finding these guys near me is a chore. I may have to drive to another state to play one. But if it's a different sound, it's probably worth it.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ish5 View Post
Actually I'm NOT after the J-45 sound. That's why I asked. I've also been a bit disappointed, so if the intent of Eastman was to build a J-45 replica, I wouldn't bother chasing one down. I'm curious how the Eastman compares to the Seagull you have?
Well my seagull is a RW, so it does not compare. I like the seagull but love the Eastman!

As for some of the comments on the build of the E10SS compared to J45. I may be wrong here but the J45 does not have the Adi top that the E10SS has. They do not sound the same and I am yet to play an E10SS or hear of anyone who was disappointed with the Eastman, and the bonus it is half the cost of a J45! I was heart set on a J45 till I got the Eastman, liked it so much I ended up buying an AC322 and of all the guitars I own (12ish) I play both the Eastmans the most!

And a few others
Old 04-10-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
I don't know how standardized the Eastman neck shapes are, but mine was comparatively thin, and combined with the 1 11/16" nut, it was just too narrow for me to negotiate. So I traded it in.
I still don't know how standardized Eastman neck shapes are, because the E10SS I bought yesterday COULD be an aberration. In any case I can say that it's considerably heftier and so, a lot more playable than the "comparatively thin" one on my previous E10SS. Don't know if I got lucky this time or unlucky last time, but I'll have more time now to figure out what "the Eastman sound" is.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:28 AM
Charter Member

I love my J50 and J45, and hear great things about the E10SS as well.

Just to confuse you, you must play the new J35. $1600 and sounds better than most J45's I have played.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:06 AM

I find the Gibson - Dogs thing quite funny... Loads of the 'dogs' posts are quite applicable if you're referring to their historical low point, ie, the Norlin era, for sure when avoiding warranty returns was a higher priority than producing decent sounding guitars that was quite applicable...

But to say the modern ones are dogs is and should be basically translated as 'Gibson does not sound like a Martin' ...and thankfully so, there are entire market segments already saturated with Martin clones & copies.

A Gibson sounds like a Gibson, there are many many posts trying to capture in words the 'Gibson sound' you either like it or you don't, however, the same can be said for many brands, most notably the one this forum was started because of, Taylor... Thin, bright & weedy to the haters, lush, balanced & perfect for fingerstyle tappy modern music etc etc...

Go out, try one, like it or don't like it, it's a fairly simple concept....

It's a passtime/hobby with no absolutes, it greatly adds to the value of posts if bias based absolutes are avoided... just sayin'

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion