The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-10-2024, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
My friend, I was sitting at my table performing my obligatory hot cereal breakfast ritual when I read your thoughtful response to my dilemma. Being a bit bleary-eyed, well, much of the time, I mis-read your word "fatalist." As in, "I did it by being being more fantastic...." And I thought, good on ya, mate. There's a man who walks with pride - the punch line to a joke that would ring the nanny-bell here. I will tell it to you sometime.

And you are so right about the need to vary one's repertoire for the sake of the audience. My wife and I went to a concert last week where a solo, singer-songwriter performed all original material for 90 minutes.

It was a courageous, yeoman effort for an audience of 10-12. Thematically, her lyrical style focused on deep, dense introspection in a musical structure that featured no relief typically provided by a chorus. More like poetry set to music than lyrics, I thought.

Conversely, her guitar accompaniment for the most part was a I, IV V structure in each song. Most of the variety was provided only by a capo. My mind wandered after a few doppelganger songs, and I found myself focusing on her fingers, watching for the move on the neck I predicted in advance.

Again, it was a strong effort on her part. I just did not relate to the music. And that made the sameness all the more challenging for me. I learned a lot that night, frankly about what to avoid in my own sets.

Best

David
Sounds painful but fruitful. I have plenty of originals, but you'll never catch me inflicting deep, dense introspection on anyone. Like counting your toes, that best confined to the bathtub, not unleashed on the stage.

Keep on pluckin'!
Old 03-10-2024, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
. . . do not assume you "have it down" until you can actually play it in the dark (not eyes closed) in the dark ,,,at least 3 times straight through with no mistakes or hesitations. and besides those three reps ---additionally at three different speeds = quite slow --your normal playing speed-- and quite fast so 6 times
Yikes! I've been at it since '68 and still can't do that!

Nothing wrong with ambitious goals, though.
Old 03-11-2024, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

So do not assume you "have it down" until you can actually play it in the dark (not eyes closed) in the dark ,,,at least 3 times straight through with no mistakes or hesitations.
My friend, seems like I am always playing "in the dark," at least figuratively. I will experiment with that.

What is unique to playing (presumably with eyes open) but in the dark. How does that imprint on the brain differently than with eyes closed, or even playing without peeking?

Thanks
David
Old 03-11-2024, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
My friend, seems like I am always playing "in the dark," at least figuratively. I will experiment with that.

What is unique to playing (presumably with eyes open) but in the dark. How does that imprint on the brain differently than with eyes closed, or even playing without peeking?

Thanks
David
I do not know if there is any (imprint) difference between playing in the dark or playing "without peeking" except in dark peeking does no good
It was simply a self induced test for me to know that I did indeed truly "have a song down cold "

BUT that was not the most important part of my post. The important part was my suggestion about the significant amount of practice time it takes to truly convert thinking to muscle memory

For me at least the one event that changed my guitar playing and singing more than anything was for a period of 18 months (in my early 50's) where I practiced for 2 to 4 hours a day 5-6 days a week for 18 months straight
My guitar playing advanced more in that 18 months than it had in the years between starting at 14 years old and age 50

AND That did two major things for me
#1 finally the chords changes and progressions for almost all the songs I play became ingrained muscle memory (which in turn allowed me to just play chords and focus making my vocal really fit with the music) Or If it was a new song I could look at chord diagrams just to know what they were but not have to think about how to navigate them or the fingering ..
#2 it also allowed me almost with out ever really trying to embellish hammer on and pulloff's and single note runs in between the chords
In full disclosure I seldom play songs with complex multi chord structures

And to be sure that does not mean I never look at the fretboard But for the most part any glance does not interrupt the flow

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-11-2024 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-11-2024, 11:54 AM

It is so hard not to let the emotion of the moment control your performance.

it takes a lot of rodeo's to be able to keep things calm.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-11-2024, 12:48 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I dealt with first song nerves for years. I play in bands, both electric and acoustic guitar, and usually lead. I discovered that it is better for me to play a popular song that seems complicated, but isn't, than to lead with something REALLY hard. With that in mind, in cover bands, I made it a practice to start with Joe Walsh's "Rocky Mountain Way." Now, you are asking yourself, "What does this have to do with me as a fingerstylist?" The main leads on Rocky Mountain Way are played on bottleneck slide. For some reason, playing slide well while stressed isn't nearly as hard for me as playing lead guitar with my fingers. Of course, the comedic nature of the song sucks the audience in as well, so they are instantly on your side.

If you can find a song that works like that for you, you will have done well. We always tend to want to but our best foot forward first, but sometimes that is putting your performer foot out ahead of your guitarist foot.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-12-2024, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Lots a great suggestions let my reiterate and add some thoughts

First 5 years is actually not all that long of time (especially if you have not spent that 5 years at -- 1 to 2 hours a day, at least 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year practicing) Because it is not the years having played, it is the hours of playing that matter .

Yes definitely make the first song very simple And as noted the stage is a far different nerves wise situation, than at home

So do not assume you "have it down" until you can actually play it in the dark (not eyes closed) in the dark ,,,at least 3 times straight through with no mistakes or hesitations. and besides those three reps ---additionally at three different speeds = quite slow --your normal playing speed-- and quite fast so 6 times
Kevin,

The last part of this post is very intriguing to me. I never would have thought of such an approach. I'm going to try it out!

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 03-14-2024, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Here's something that has yet to be mentioned in the replies I've read... I'm assuming that you KNOW the material, that you have it down-pat; certainly, you should do that if you haven't already.

The main thing - and this is important for every song, really, but especially the first in a three song set - you have to go out and GET IT! Have the mindset that you are absolutely going to nail that song, however you choose to play it... not "kind of sort of", but demonstrably NAIL IT!

A good friend and terrific singer was given some advice by a world-famous opera singer, who told him tp "go out on stage like a LION, not like a LAMB!"...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 03-14-2024, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Here's something that has yet to be mentioned in the replies I've read... I'm assuming that you KNOW the material, that you have it down-pat; certainly, you should do that if you haven't already.
OP here. Yes, I know the material, and would never put myself in a position of wondering otherwise.

Mental preparation is critical. Of course, it is all about attitude, once you have the material down. Your pal is right. You got to own it all - the material, your guitar and the crowd. I know that feeling from my other musical work. I will get there with the guitar. That is why I do the open mics. Just to skin my knees....

As always, obliged for the replies and wisdom.

David
Old 03-15-2024, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

As far as an aggressive mental state goes there is the fact that you are standing on a stage with the bright lights on you, mic'd up so you are louder than everyone and you are attempting to play your instrument and sing. All eyes are on you with expectation. In your minds eye you have a vision of what it could be. Do that loud and proud with no reservations or holding back. Be your "Heroic Self-Reflection." Stand and deliver. If it doesn't work figure out why not and try again and again. The only ones that fail are to ones that give up.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-15-2024, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Be your "Heroic Self-Reflection." Stand and deliver. If it doesn't work figure out why not and try again and again. The only ones that fail are to ones that give up.
Thank you Mr. J. A solid sentiment worth internalizing. And one that reminds me of the admonition allegedly given to her son, a Spartan warrior on his way to battle, to "come back with your shield or on it."

Should I be returned home, after an open mic, carried atop my Froggy Bottom H12, all will know that I did not "give up."

David

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write