The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-20-2024, 09:31 AM

Default Software to change pitch/key and speed of recording?

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, and this might not even be the right sub-forum, but I'm not sure where else to ask.

Trying to learn songs from recordings, I often want to transpose them into a different key to match my vocal range. Can anyone recommend software that can transpose and slow down recordings?
Old 03-20-2024, 09:37 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I use Transcribe!

It loads music and video (video requires gstream, a free add on)

It allows you to slow down, loop and even add or subtract capo positions.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-20-2024, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Audacity...

Free software and quite versatile. Many YouTube lessons on how to use it available.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 03-20-2024, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

I use a software called the Amazing Slowdowner, which slows down music and then pitch-corrects it. It works very well.

The free version is limited to a duration of like 10% of the song. The purchased version has no limit. You can work around the limit by opening your target song into a longer MP3 container file then it will not time out on you.

The software works very well but I only used one feature in it and asked the developer if he had a "light" version that was less expensive with fewer features that I don't need. He was a total jerk and totally indignant that I would dare to ask for something other than what he developed. He basically told me to "F off", so I feel no guilt in figuring out the workaround to get his trial software to work for free fully and forever. I even told him I didnt need to buy *ANYTHING* form him I was simply making him an offer instead of nothing.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-20-2024, 11:03 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Another tool which I use is 4K Downloader for downloading YouTube videos so I can use them in Transcribe!.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-20-2024, 05:47 PM

Transcribe does it really easily. (I have Audacity too, but Transcribe is quicker and easier.)
https://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/screenshots.html
The tuning tab has a cents slider as well as semitones, so you can get any track exactly in concert.
Speed is variable just as easily.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:09 AM

I'll add Reaper to the list. It costs $60 last I checked. You can try it for free.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:30 AM

Here are two free ideas; In fact one I just used to learn a song because the folks I was playing with did a song in a different key.

I use the old dinosaur Winamp and then I use a free plug-in called Pacemaker. You can slow down the song and change the tempo, speed and key.

I've also used the free version of Fender's Riffstation. It originally was sold then it was free ... then it was abandoned. But I think you can still find it somewhere online. It's a nifty tool. It also somewhat shows you the chords to songs.

But Winamp/Pacemaker works fine for me.

And I did say it was free? Yes, of course I did.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 03-21-2024, 08:16 AM

I'll just add that Transcribe is free for the first month - and then stupidly cheap after that. Currently $39 - one-off forever. You get all updates free.
I've been using it for maybe 20 years, and I probably use it 3 or 4 times every day. Rarely for whole songs, mostly just bits and pieces I want to check.
I also have Reaper and Audacity - both excellent in their own way - but for the tasks you need for learning songs, or practising to backing tracks, Transcribe is quicker and easier. It's the best interface of any software I've ever used - not very pretty in modern terms - no fancy skins pretending to be hardware! - but transparent. (And I wish I got paid every time I recommend it...)

And it works with video too (to confirm what TBman says) - you have to download youtubes and convert them to MP4, which requires other (free) software, but it's much easier to work with than slowing down youtube and trying to work out how to loop it...
Old 03-21-2024, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Another option is the Vidami pedal which is designed to slow down videos, reverse, fast forward and loop hands free. I have the older USB version, the newer version is a wireless setup using Bluetooth. I use mine almost everyday to learn things off You Tube. There is a cheaper pedal out there which does basically same thing the name of which escapes me at the moment but you can easily find it with a little research.
Old 03-22-2024, 06:43 AM

My musical life would not be possible without The Amazing Slowdowner. It effortlessly changes keys and speeds, and it costs essentially nothing. It houses nearly my entire collection of educational material and backing tracks. I use it at least 2 hours every day and have for many years.
Old 03-22-2024, 10:23 PM

I've used Transcribe for years. I love it. I can EQ in it, easily save multiple loops of whatever section of the song I want to concentrate on... It has note identification if you are trying to work something out although I rarely need to use it... and of course you can easily slow down to whatever percentage you like. It'll also easily import a video with audio and you can watch the video slowed down as well.
Old 03-23-2024, 05:08 AM

If you are willing to drop about $70, the Airstep Play is a foot pedal array that does all of this with a plug in and Bluetooth connection. It is primarily designed to work with a browser.

Also, the Vidami pedal is similar, but more expensive. It works with a browser and several other programs.

The convenience of keeping your hands on the guitar while you stop, start, loop, etc. using a footswitch creates a splendid learning experience.
Old 03-23-2024, 06:11 AM

On footpedals, btw, the Vidami sounds tempting, at least for working with youtube.

You can use a pedal with Transcribe - I have an old 3-pedal USB one (VEC Infinity) and also a 2-pedal bluetooth one. Both much cheaper than Vidami. You can program (up to a point) what each of the pedals does (and the VEC is obviously more useful), but it's still not fully hands off. And of course you have to get the video into a suitable format for Transcribe in the first place.

Here's info on Transcribe's pedal functionality - and the latest version will work with the new Vidami: https://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/pedals.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write