The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2011, 07:53 AM

Default SCGC model F on the way

I love the sound and playability of the SCGC Model F and have wanted one for a long time. Now, I am finally able to get one and it should arrive sometime later this week. In my search on the internet, I did not see many available. However, the F cutaway (FS) seems to be readily available. Just curious how many Model F owners are out there, and what your thoughts are on the instrument. Also, I wasn't able to play an FS and wonder if anyone has been able to compare. Thanks in advance for you input.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

You don't see too many FS around. If memory serves me the F is more of what you'd expect from a "typical" small jumbo while the FS is clearly a fingerstyle.
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 02-21-2011, 10:00 AM

Wow...just checked the F model out on the SC website. Stunning guitar! I'll bet it sounds as good as it looks too. Congrats and enjoy...you lucky dog.

Tom
Old 02-21-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbluegrass View Post
Wow...just checked the F model out on the SC website. Stunning guitar! I'll bet it sounds as good as it looks too. Congrats and enjoy...you lucky dog.
Tom
Thanks Tom. Yes, I am lucky (blessed) to be able to buy such a stunning guitar. With the economy as it is---who knows. If this goes well, and I am sure it will, I will have great faith in buying used. I would not have been able to afford it otherwise. I still wonder if anyone has played the F / FS and have input on tone, playability differences, etc. I am a fingerstylist primarily, but find the 1 11/16 " neck width opposed to the 1 3/4" of the Taylor to fit my hands better. Any other fingerstylists agree?
Old 02-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

I've owned three different F model Santa Cruz guitars. I've played a new FS but never owned one. Aside from the size and shape they are completely different models. The FS is completely designed for Fingerstyle guitar playing with the wider nut width and its voiced for a light touch. The F is voiced to be a balanced jack of all trades. I had a mid 90's Brazilian Rosewood and German Spruce F cutaway that was a force to be reconned with!!

Congrats on the purchase they are great guitars. The Santa Cruz guitar company builds great instruments. I prefer them over Collings personally just because of the sound.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 02-21-2011, 05:42 PM

I played this guitar - http://www.guitarrez.com/aginventory/scfz.html - at Guitar Rez in Austin, TX a few years ago, and might have bought it except it has the narrower 1 11/16 inch nut, which is too narrow for my fingerstyle playing. As I recall it had a very strong bass response.
2006 Seagull S6+CW Folk
2006 Goodall AKSC
2010 Charis SJC
Old 02-21-2011, 05:56 PM

My F and a Martin OM-18v.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-21-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorbs View Post
might have bought it except it has the narrower 1 11/16 inch nut, which is too narrow for my fingerstyle playing. As I recall it had a very strong bass response.

Thanks for the response---The narrower nut at first was one of my concerns too. But, when switch from my Taylor to my Martin D-35, I seem to adapt to the narrower width after a few minutes. Hopefully, I won't find that to be a problem with the F.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:13 PM

Thanks for the pix of two beautiful instruments Hankjojo. Works of art!
Old 02-21-2011, 06:38 PM

Before i ordered my F, i had sampled a few along with the FS and preferred the F for the most part. The FS seemed a little mellower and warmer. I went the custom route as i like a wider nut and saddle spacing.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

I used to own an F and now have an FS. The F was a real treat - German maple/German spruce cutaway with maple neck and Deco inlays. A wonderful instrument but the 1 11/16" width at the nut was too narrow. The FS is stock and magnificent.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:05 PM

As post 11 shows, an F with a cutaway is not an FS. Although the FS does have a cutaway.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Hi TG,

Congrats on the new guitar coming!

- Glenn
Old 02-23-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitom View Post
As post 11 shows, an F with a cutaway is not an FS. Although the FS does have a cutaway.
Thanks for that. I guess I thought the F cutaway was an FS. Now I know.

Thanks everyone for your good thoughts on my new guitar. I must admit to some extreme excitement brewing---there's a rumbling sound deep in my---well, it must be GAS.

I hate to ask this, but anyone that has owned a F model have any recommendations on strings? I don't want to start a whole new thread on strings, but some ideas could save me some money. I play a lot of fingerstyle.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion