The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-26-2024, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Default Martin D-CFM-50, made in Mexico, Why?

I just saw this;

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars...id=new-guitars

$5000, sapele back and sides, M/T neck joint.

Is this a $1500 guitar with $3500 inlay work?

Old 04-26-2024, 01:24 PM

It might be a $1500.00 guitar if it were simply spruce over Sapele, but this particular axe is a bear-claw spruce top over *quilted* Sapele...much more premium/expensive than garden variety woods, regardless of whether made in Mexico or USA.

At least, that's my take...
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 04-26-2024, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

The quilt sapele, flame maple bound, figured mahogany neck, Waverly tuning machines, and yes the inlay ... that's a pretty high spec guitar.

For comparison, -45 inlay runs $4-6000 from whatever builder / factory is producing it.
Old 04-26-2024, 01:37 PM

I think this is Martin's attempt to show that a top of the line, collector's edition type guitar can be made in their factory in Mexico in addition to the usual Nazareth PA facility.

I'll make two guesses here:

1. This is a fantastic guitar
2. Most of the folks who'd buy a blinged out 5k Martin will not buy this.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-26-2024, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

pure speculation, but this could be the beginning of their transition to building more , or most, of their guitars in Mexico. Fender did it, so why not them? Look, they now have a 15 series model that's MIM, so I'm sure the rest will follow at some point.
Old 04-26-2024, 01:55 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Looks like a real bargain compared to this 50th anniversary model:

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars...-Nazareth.html
Old 04-26-2024, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

I am not too particular where a guitar is made, so long as it is a ‘good’ guitar…meaning it looks pretty good and sounds real good. And I do appreciate pretty guitars, but on some guitars I get the feeling that museum-quality woodworking and ornamentation have become more important than the sounds produced by the guitar
Old 04-26-2024, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

M/T neck joint. Which bacing? M/T usually goes with A frame bracing.

Minimal or no purling

What finish?

I think this is a ''collector guitar, for none players''. And that they are only making 50 of them because there are only 50 suckers out there, who will wan to ''invest'' in this guitar.
Old 04-26-2024, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

It makes sense that Martin is trying to upgrade the perception of their Mexico facility. They realize moving some of their production makes more sense than a big expansion in Nazareth. They need an upgraded image to do this. I do think the two companies that made the Mexico move had the right idea. Mexico is well positioned to expand their manufacturing capabilities. Lots of young people for the workforce. Contrast that with China.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-26-2024, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Speaking of China; the first thing I thought of when I saw this was those Chinese Martin copies with all the inlay work;

Old 04-26-2024, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I just saw this...Is this a $1500 guitar with $3500 inlay work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
...the first thing I thought of when I saw this was those Chinese Martin copies with all the inlay work;

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
Pure speculation, but this could be the beginning of their transition to building more, or most, of their guitars in Mexico...they now have a 15 series model that's MIM, so I'm sure the rest will follow at some point...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
...I'll make two guesses here:

1. This is a fantastic guitar
2. Most of the folks who'd buy a blinged-out $5K Martin will not buy this.
I'll make a few more guesses:
  • You're definitely looking at the future of CFM IV & Co.: with the exception of Rickenbacker - and more power to them - every major "American" brand either has an offshore/outsourced manufacturing subsidiary or has shifted completely (or nearly so) to non-American production;
  • The Nazareth facility will eventually serve as US corporate offices, a regional visitors' center, an expanded museum, a central CS call center (Heaven help us all... ), a repair facility (ditto...) and a small-scale Custom Shop for the ever-decreasing number of players who understand - and can appreciate - what a "real" Martin is and can/should be, and are willing/able to pay the price;
  • The mystery of that massive warehouse will finally be solved as rank-&-file line personnel displaced by the move of production to Mexico (and, I strongly suspect, China as well) will be offered first option of continued employment in various aspects of warehousing/distribution (likely at lower, unskilled-labor wages) - historically a powerful incentive when you live in a one-industry town during difficult economic times;
  • Cheer up, you'll still be able to get an approachably (if not necessarily affordably) priced Martin made with traditional tonewoods - it's just not going to be made in Nazareth;
  • In the absence of an in-house "guitar person" with a strong presence a la Mike Longworth or Dick Boak, you're going to see some real oddballs rolling off the assembly line (the good Mr. Ripsam can call them whatever he wants - the current buzzword appears to be "radical change" ), and say what you might about Bob T. or Andy Powers, there was always a method to the madness that generally resulted in both a better product and a certain grudging respect from the competition - by contrast there hasn't been a significant, lasting Martin innovation since Prohibition;
  • With no family tradition of hands-on lutherie for nearly a century there's going to be increasing product-line diversification under an amorphous "music" umbrella (viz., the new limited-edition Martin turntable) and transition to a "lifestyle" brand - a strategy that failed miserably for certain competitors, which leads me to:
  • The Martin name is a highly-saleable commodity, a win-win situation for one (or more) with no vested personal interest in either the product itself or the heritage of the brand, and those who would jump at the opportunity to legally acquire the marque and "go legit" on the international market; funds derived therefrom, along with due ongoing compensation as President/COO of Western Hemisphere distribution (possibly a "legacy" position to be reserved for future descendants, to provide a public appearance of continuity), would provide the foundation of a comfortable lifestyle for generations to come, without the messy obligations of a true family-owned/directed business...
Old 04-27-2024, 04:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Martin D-CFM-50, made in Mexico, Why?
From the description of the guitar on the website:

Quote:
Introducing the D-CFM IV 50th Anniversary—a timeless tribute to half a century of dedication, and a special acknowledgement of the company’s 35th year of quality craftsmanship by its talented family of coworkers in Navojoa, Sonora, Mexico. To celebrate, each of these beautiful anniversary instruments proudly displays a signed, numbered label commemorating both Chris Martin IV’s 50 years of service, and the rich lineup of innovations originating in Navojoa. It’s a testament to the artistry and skill that have defined Chris’ tenure. Crafted at Martin’s factory in Navojoa, the guitar features a gloss finish, pommele sapele back and sides, a bearclaw spruce top, and classic "Tree of Life" inlays on the fingerboard and headplate with a matching rosette presented in beautiful Paua pearl. It’s an instrument that promises to inspire and captivate musicians for generations to come, as Martin continues its quest to make quality and innovation as approachable as possible. This guitar is a true collector’s item, with only 50 available.
There were two limited edition 50th anniversary guitars—one made in Nazareth that listed for $50k and one made in Navojoa that listed for $5k. I think (based on the description) the reason for the Navojoa guitar was to acknowledge and showcase the craftsmanship that the Navojoa factory is capable of.
Old 04-27-2024, 04:52 AM

Well, maybe.

Don’t forget they’ve been luthiers in Mexico building amazing guitars, along with the vast variety of fretted instruments, for longer than Martin has existed.

In Mexico, Martin is the “New Upstart.”
Old 04-27-2024, 05:00 AM
Charter Member

worth every penny of 5k imo

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 04-27-2024, 05:07 AM
Charter Member

I am not a bling guy, and I’d never ever buy this model at any price.

That said, I am just chiming in to say that the USA made D15 and the Mexican made D-15e sound identical.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion