The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-04-2018, 07:42 PM

Default NGD Gibson B-25 and ?

I just got a vintage 1963 Gibson B-25 in fantastic all original shape. Great, resonant sound. It was really thuddy in the shop but new strings have cured that. All in all an amazing guitar. Sitka top, Brazilian fingerboard, Mahogany B & S, 1 3/4 nut, no cracks, looks like original frets, neck ange is perfect. She’s so sweet.

My questions are these:
1. What tonal differences can I expect from replacing the original plastic bridge with adj. ceramic saddle with a rosewood bridge and bone saddle?
2. I haven’t looked but my understanding is that the bridge plate is a laminate - is it worth it to have this changed to a solid maple bridge plate and is this a risky procedure that could cause cracks?
3. Tuners are original kluson 3 on a plate- each has a tiny hole that I assume is for lubricant- what type of lube should I use?

I’ll try to figure out how to post pics shortly

Thanks to the experts here ������

Last edited by OjaiAndrew; 02-04-2018 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:15 PM

Congratulations on the new guitar.

I have not heard of anyone changing their bridge plate. It would be tough to get off. If the bridge plate is worn significantly from the string balls there are other solutions, such as a metal plate with pin holes over the original plate, that can be used.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:19 PM

While many don't care for those plastic adj. bridges, they do impart their own unique tone, a tone I respect. If you like the B-25's sound now why not stay with it a while and see if it grows on you. If not there are plenty of luthiers who can replace the bridge/saddle and even do the bridgeplate for you.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:22 PM

Default Sounds good

Thanks Cameleye.
I really do like the tone right now so I think you're right that I should live with it a while. I still do wonder though what tone change I could expect from rosewood/bone as opposed to plastic/ceramic - would it be warmer, richer, darker, brighter, etc....?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion