The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-24-2024, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I've gone all acoustic after decades of gigging electrics.
Me too, Murph.

I know this is the right place for such a statement: these days, I just find the acoustic guitar has more soul.
Old 04-24-2024, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBowman View Post
Me too, Murph.

I know this is the right place for such a statement: these days, I just find the acoustic guitar has more soul.
I got tired of the effects, distortion, noise, drums, drummers and clutter.

Pure acoustic music is much more enjoyable for me.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 04-24-2024, 06:44 AM

Last edited by Jaxon; 04-24-2024 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
A funny thing is happening to me these days. As I get older I am turning from the electric guitar and picking up my acoustic more and more. I've never been an acoustic guy because I always wanted to be the lead guy, and was always the electric player in the bands I've been in. But lately, I just am bored with electric and have really taken to acoustic.

I think part of this journey is that I never really owned a great acoustic until I bought my Taylor 414 last year. The sound is so inspiring and when I tune to DADGAD I just lose myself for hours....something that doesn't happen with electric anymore.

Anybody else experience this? Am I just taking a break or am I converting to an acoustic player? I haven't touched my electrics since October of last year and I just find the sound of an acoustic beautiful lately.
Me I go back and forth for different periods of time
Mostly or only acoustic for 3 to 6 months
then switch to mostly or only electric
It should be noted however I have never subscribed to the "the amp has to pushed into breakup" to get the "desired electric sound" just not my thing.
And thus I do not ever suffer from the possible ear fatigue that sustained listening to loud sound can bring on ...............

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-24-2024, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Quinn= View Post
This 100%
They are different animals, and I'll gladly stay in my lane and stay exclusively with Acoustic. I've owned a few electrics, and every one of them sounded better unplugged.
This thread you revived is over 8 years old and the person to whom you responded hasn't posted anywhere in this forum since 2016 so it's unlikely they're ever going to read your response.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 04-24-2024, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

I had planned all along to start playing more acoustics as I got into retirement and I am well into that transition. I am playing many more hours per week on my acoustics now. So far I have not sold any electrics, but I would not be opposed to thinning the herd down a bit. As it is now, I have some electrics that are getting very little play time.
Old 04-24-2024, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
This thread you revived is over 8 years old and the person to whom you responded hasn't posted anywhere in this forum since 2016 so it's unlikely they're ever going to read your response.
Ha ha dam date gottcha

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-24-2024, 08:30 AM

It's the other way for me. I find my danelectro far easier to play than my acoustic guitar. I like to play it clean through my little pignose amp. It's a poor man's rickenbacker. My next purchase might actually be a rick.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Smile Oh well…

But we are all reading it now.

Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post

I never played much electric guitar but I played the heck out of the drums starting at age 7! Gigs at 12. Usually singing too. This after church choir and much hated piano lessons! Hahaha. Too bad I was never introduced to boogie-woogie piano or any kind of blues or soul stuff back in my piano years.

18 years as a side man and other peoples bands, was followed by another 20 years of being a band leader, as a singing drummer. Eventually, I woke up one day and realized if I taught myself guitar I wouldn’t have to have the band!

A year and half later I was playing solo at the Alaska state fair. Fortunately, I was in the beer garden and expectations were low, And people just wanted to have fun.

It’s pretty easy to sell fun! Since most people would like to have some!

30 years later, I still find fun is just the way to go.

Hope everybody has a great day!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 04-24-2024, 09:14 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

For a while I was calling attention to threads that were being resurrected from the past, but quickly realized that it's really not important. Whether or not a thread is 'old' doesn't seem to matter. People contribute anyway and it can restart discussions on a topic, so I guess it's all good...

As for this topic, I started with acoustic and bounced back and forth with electrics, but always gravitated back to acoustic... I have a Les Paul and a Peavey I haven't played in years. They even have synth pickups installed for when I used to play through a Roland pedal board. At times, I've delved deep into electrics and electronic recording.

Today? I have a nice selection of acoustics... and if my house were on fire I'd save the acoustics and let the electrics burn...
Old 04-24-2024, 09:20 AM

I haven't had an electric gig since before the Cornoocaust. But it's just because that band broke up and everyone I've played with since have been acoustic players.

Luckily, I love playing folk as much as electric. It would be fun to pick up an electric again, but I don't see any opportunities on the horizon. Electric guitar is an ensemble instrument, I don't even know any drummers around here.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Can't say I've ever "gave up" on any of my guitars. Still have 5 electrics I play occasionally, but spend about 99% of my time playing acoustics these days.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman
Old 04-24-2024, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
. Electric guitar is an ensemble instrument.

This is the main reason I drifted over to acoustic playing, once I stopped playing in bands. I know there’s ambient guitar and other forms of electric playing one can do as a solo player, but acoustic is more rewarding for me.
Old 04-24-2024, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Personally, I do tend to lean much more heavily on acoustic guitar than electric. I'm currently recording a Halloween album and using quite a lot of electric guitar in that, but most of my recordings are acoustically driven music. I am selling off many of my electric guitars and downsizing my collection a bit. I have way more than I could ever need.
Old 04-24-2024, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
……started with acoustic and bounced back and forth with electrics, but always gravitated back to acoustic... I have a Les Paul and a Peavey I haven't played in years…..

Today? I have a nice selection of acoustics... and if my house were on fire I'd save the acoustics and let the electrics burn...
This is me as well, still have Les Paul and Peavey (and Strat) but stopped before the OP posted 8 years ago

I can hardly move the amp now and find it hard to believe that I stood for hours with the LP over my shoulder….

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion