The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-29-2024, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoldmoon View Post
You are 100% correct, I admit it is perhaps easier and likely better chance of end up with one that close to what I want if I keep try and pick from off the shelf or used items.

What I want is H13 with non-mahogany back, and 1 13/16 nut, round neck. Plus some cosmetic options like natural finish, minimal purfling rosette etc, brazilian fretboard. It is more of wanting to have few details just right, and hopefully they would pick and eq tonewoods to my sonic preference. How close end result would be to my request, I have no idea. We'll see in couple month!

Cheers!
Arnold
I'd say you need to special order as what you want is pretty atypical. Good luck. I think at this point, SCGC is far beyond being able to build a bad guitar. What do you figure you're going to spend?
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-29-2024, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I'd say you need to special order as what you want is pretty atypical. Good luck. I think at this point, SCGC is far beyond being able to build a bad guitar. What do you figure you're going to spend?
Thanks! missing few checkboxes on my list practically doesn't mean much, so I'd say still it's more about wanting to building one. Even non-mahogany back and 1-13/16 nut would come up eventually if I keep searching for one.

As of today on their online build chart (I hear there's price increase this year not yet reflected there) Walnut or cocobolo, round neck, brazillian overlay, fingerboard, bridge and 3 on plate tuner would come up to more or less 4k upgrade. I can let go brazillian, as to me that was added purely for cosmetic reason. Yeah,, 2.5k is more reasonable, but might as well stretch bit more and add brazillian, otherwise I think I would regret....

Initially I wanted ebony back, but looks that's no longer available.

Arnold
Old 03-31-2024, 12:07 AM

Arnold you are likely aware of this but just in case you aren't there is an H-13 tribute CD you can download from the Santa Cruz web site. It is a tribute to Paul Hostetter, the luthier that convinced Santa Cruz to make the H-13. Here is the page on the SC web site. There are 18 tracks and about 15 different H-13 wood combinations.

The Fret Board Journal did a podcast on the project as well. Here is a link.

The Hostetter family has kept his web site up and there are few pages that cover that story, along with some pictures.
Old 03-31-2024, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdavies View Post
Arnold you are likely aware of this but just in case you aren't there is an H-13 tribute CD you can download from the Santa Cruz web site. It is a tribute to Paul Hostetter, the luthier that convinced Santa Cruz to make the H-13. Here is the page on the SC web site. There are 18 tracks and about 15 different H-13 wood combinations.

The Fret Board Journal did a podcast on the project as well. Here is a link.

The Hostetter family has kept his web site up and there are few pages that cover that story, along with some pictures.
Oh wow thanks so much, I did not know, downloading now!!

Arnold
Old 03-31-2024, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

I'll tell you, I've seen some outstanding walnut Santa Cruz guitars.Beautiful wood that is figured like flame maple. You're going to have so much fun.They have some very old top wood too.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-31-2024, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I'll tell you, I've seen some outstanding walnut Santa Cruz guitars.Beautiful wood that is figured like flame maple. You're going to have so much fun.They have some very old top wood too.
Yup indeed first santa cruz guitar I've tried was redwood - walnut firefly, which sounded very similar to my preference. In terms of look, walnut is not my first pick tho, personally prefer darker brown and simple straight pattern, but yes walnut seem has beautiful flamed-like figuring.

Arnold
Old 04-01-2024, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organic Sounds Select Guitars View Post
Santa Cruz does not sell directly to customers, only through their dealer network. Having said that, the custom order process involves communication both with the dealer and the factory. The folks at Santa Cruz are wonderfully helpful, and sometimes Mr. Hoover himself gets involved. It's a fun process, folks, with the end goal being that the person ordering gets the guitar of their dreams, that fits them and their desires perfectly.
>>> This <<<<<

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion