The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-08-2021, 07:35 AM

Default Looking for a 'catch all' guitar

Hey from the UK,

I am very lucky to own some high end luthier made guitars, Taran, Fylde ect and for a while now, i have almost exclusivley played in CGCGCD tuning.

Recently, as live music starts again in the UK, i have been playing around with different tunings both for covers and writing my own music again. I took a break for several years from performing but am going to get out their again and so i want a catch all guitar.

I don't want to spend more than £1k ($1.5k) as it will be a guitar than can be knocked around a little.

I want to play in Standard, DADGAD, CGCGCD ect so longer scale length, i will probably upgrade tuners to closed back gotoh regardless of whats fitted.

I will probably run 2 x 1/4 outputs to have double pickups (Mag-Mic and maybe K&K) so i don't need ready built in electronics.

I had thought that a D-28 copy, maybe an Eastman E8D-TC or similar would work, it worked for John Martyn and others but thought i would pick the collective brains of you guys and girls.

Always prefered Spruce and Rosewood as a combination

Regards
Old 08-08-2021, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Dshevy, I haven't been playing long so should leave the recommendations to the experts but 2 months ago, picked up a Larrivee OM 40 R. Came with D'Addario lights and the sound didn't thrill me.

Restrung with John Pearse PB meds and then with Martin Retros Bluegrass meds and for the price, competes with a D-35.

Had a smudge on the back so dealer gave me a good price but used should easily fit your budget.

john
Old 08-08-2021, 10:10 AM

Man, I know you said longer scale, but my Eastman E8-OM TC is a MONSTER in CGCGCD. I initially ran mediums on it but now I’m running lights, and I have zero issues whatsoever. Also, I initially felt it wasn’t as good a strummer as a fingerstyle guitar, but with either the guitar has opened up or my playing has adjusted, because it’s great with a flatpick as well. Don’t sleep on short scale for alt tunings. I enjoy it more than my larrivee for them now.
Old 08-08-2021, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dshevy View Post
Hey from the UK,

I am very lucky to own some high end luthier made guitars, Taran, Fylde ect and for a while now, i have almost exclusivley played in CGCGCD tuning.

Recently, as live music starts again in the UK, i have been playing around with different tunings both for covers and writing my own music again. I took a break for several years from performing but am going to get out their again and so i want a catch all guitar.

I don't want to spend more than £1k ($1.5k) as it will be a guitar than can be knocked around a little.

I want to play in Standard, DADGAD, CGCGCD ect so longer scale length, i will probably upgrade tuners to closed back gotoh regardless of whats fitted.

I will probably run 2 x 1/4 outputs to have double pickups (Mag-Mic and maybe K&K) so i don't need ready built in electronics.

I had thought that a D-28 copy, maybe an Eastman E8D-TC or similar would work, it worked for John Martyn and others but thought i would pick the collective brains of you guys and girls.

Always prefered Spruce and Rosewood as a combination

Regards

Well, what would I know, not shopping a lot of current models myself. I think OM style instruments are ideal all-rounders, and your rosewood/spruce preference is not rare in that style of instrument historically. However, your price range will restrict new options a bit, and rosewood B&S is under-represented in that price range in my experience. If as you shop you also find that rosewood is harder to find, you may want to examine that preference. While I have enjoyed rosewood B&S guitars I sometimes think that other B&S woods are more of a blank slate. Mahogany is going to be by far the most common wood in your price range, and it might be more suitable in the right instrument than you think.

Also guitar voicing isn't just a matter of wood specifications, another reason that you may not want to limit yourself to only rosewood B&S.

I too might think I should prefer standard (more than 25") scale instruments for lowered tunings, and so like you spec my shopping choices accordingly. However I do lowered tunings often enough on some of my guitars with sub 25" scale lengths and things work.

Good luck on your search!

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-09-2021, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnidoh View Post
Dshevy, I haven't been playing long so should leave the recommendations to the experts but 2 months ago, picked up a Larrivee OM 40 R. Came with D'Addario lights and the sound didn't thrill me.

Restrung with John Pearse PB meds and then with Martin Retros Bluegrass meds and for the price, competes with a D-35.

Had a smudge on the back so dealer gave me a good price but used should easily fit your budget.

john
For some reason, maybe import and tax, Larrivee guitars cost a lot more in the UK than the exchagne rate in US or CAN.
I might see if there are any second hand avaliable over here
Fylde Small Falstaff- Engleman/Bog Oak
Fylde Small Falstaff- Engleman/ Madagascan Rosewood
Sobell Martin Simpson MK2- German/ Brazilian Rosewood
Old 08-09-2021, 02:57 AM

Some of the Godin lines might be worth looking at.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion