The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-07-2021, 05:44 PM

Default NGD ~ Alvarez 12-string with issues

I just received this guitar from eBay. It's an Alvarez 12-string guitar RD2012. Not sure how old it is. Judging by the shape of the bridge it's an older model.

I am going to keep it. As far as I can tune it, it does sound as if it will sound pretty good! But it came with some issues that were undisclosed.

Before I discuss that, if you look at the picture link to in my blog, the back look like it has a crack in it! The seller assured me that it is just the way the wood looked. He is right there is not a crack. However, when Alvarez built this guitar they used a piece of wood that looked like it had some type of crack in it!

https://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress....012-12-string/

Now what was not disclosed. Instead of a normal gauge g-string with its octave, I have 2 octive g-strings that are supposed to be tuned in unison I guess. The problem is both tuners for both g-strings are not working. No matter how much I turn them the note does not change pitch and cannot be tuned.

The other thing that was not disclosed was a crack in the nut where the low E string sits.

I will take this guitar into my local guitar tech who can perform miracles. I might have to replace all the tuners and not just the nut. I only paid $255 including taxes and shipping but I think with a little TLC it will be a nice little guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion