The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-08-2021, 10:24 AM

Long time 12-string player. For much of that time I used a thinner pick than I would typically use on a 6 string acoustic. Often a yellow Dunlop Tortex (isn't that 60 mm?). I would go to nylon picks sometimes, even thin nylon picks which are quite floppy. As noted up thread a pick that thin and flexy imparts a distinct sound, which I liked sometimes, and still do.

But I don't want that sound all the time.

I cross-pick most of the time, but strum some too.

I often must note on these threads that I'm nutty about picks and often try 2 or 3 different ones before recording a piece. The ones I pick up first, that I think will work, or were working on the piece I played before often get replaced by choice #2 or #3. Recently I've started experimenting with thick picks (like I'd use on 6-string 1 to 1.5 mm) or even thicker than that (2 mm and even thicker). Sometimes I like what I get. Sometimes not. My observation is that a thin, flexy pick is more forgiving when my attack on the paired strings is off a bit, and when strumming that's sometimes a key benefit. But when cross picking or when my touch is working well, the thicker pick seems to do something distinctively nice with dual course instruments. I'm under the impression that most mandolin players use heavier picks.

So no recommendation for me, other than a report that one should try a few and see what works, and permission to use a different pick than you'd use on a 6 string.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-08-2021, 11:21 AM

Middle of the road thickness-wise for me. I've used Dunlop Ultex .73s for well over a decade. I pick with one of the rounded corners - it provides me with more picking control.

My Smile Makers:

Guild OM-120
Guild F-2512E Deluxe 12-string
Eastman E3DE
2013 Ibanez AFJ-95

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion