The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-06-2021, 10:32 PM

Default Selling A Guitar As New

If I buy at retail a new guitar and don't register it with the manufacturer can I sell it as new with the original warranty available?
Old 08-06-2021, 11:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafonda View Post
If I buy at retail a new guitar and don't register it with the manufacturer can I sell it as new with the original warranty available?
I’d say no. I’ve registered a Martin and needed a proof of sale from dealer. I think you need the receipt to register a warranty.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 08-06-2021, 11:41 PM

No. You cannot. I was going to answer with the one word “no” but the rules said that post was too short.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 08-06-2021, 11:49 PM
Charter Member

Some people will list them that way, but it doesn't really work that way. For it to be "new," and for the warranty to be valid, it has to be from an authorized dealer.

Though, there's a difference between listing something as "new" as opposed to "as new." Listing the condition as "as new" just suggests that it's mint, and clean as it would be from the factory.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 08-07-2021, 07:45 AM

As mentioned, many warranties are non-transferrable. I've seen ads before with used guitars with unused warranty cards but it doesn't work that way.

A new guitar just purchased is usually like a new car just purchased - both are considered used and you lose x% when you try to sell.

List your guitar as being newly purchased and "like new" condition (if it applies) but don't call it "new".
Old 08-07-2021, 08:03 AM

Probably can sell it as “open box“?
Old 08-07-2021, 08:12 AM

You should sell it as used/barely played. It is not a new guitar.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:18 AM

Any thoughts on the % depreciation for a new guitar without a mfg warranty?
Old 08-07-2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryfly View Post
Any thoughts on the % depreciation for a new guitar without a mfg warranty?
Some Martin folks consider the value of the warranty to be the price of the inevitable neck reset or ~$400. but I've heard that they are not giving up free neck resets as easily as before, so I'd say the warranty is basically a gimmick now with not a lot of real value unless the guitar just explodes for no reason.
Old 08-07-2021, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafonda View Post
Technically not "new". But "mint" is very nearly as good. (Assuming it is.)
Old 08-07-2021, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Here are some of the condition designations that Reverb uses for listings (link):

Brand New:

Brand New condition is for products listed by authorized dealers that are in the same flawless condition as they were when they left the factory floor, and are covered under the manufacturer’s original limited warranty.

If you are not an authorized dealer, you cannot list brand new unless you handmade the item yourself. If you are reselling a piece of gear that you bought brand new from a retailer—even if it has never been used—it automatically falls under the Mint condition since it may no longer be covered by the manufacturer’s original warranty.

B-Stock:

B-Stock refers to items that were opened and returned, have a cosmetic blemish or imperfection (like a ding in the tolex of an amp or a scratch on the face of an effects pedal), or were used as demo units in a shop. These products are tested to manufacturer's specs and are guaranteed to function perfectly. Many B-Stock items come with a limited manufacturer’s warranty and ship direct from a brand or distributor who sells on Reverb.

Synonyms: Like New, Open Box, Closeout, Customer Return, Blemished, Resealed

Mint

For something to truly be mint, it needs to be just shy of Brand New. Mint items should include the original packaging in most cases. If there's any sort of imperfection, the item should be listed in Excellent condition at best.

Excellent

When something's been used a bit but is still close to new, you can file it under Excellent. For modern gear, Excellent items are almost entirely free of blemishes and other visual defects and have been played or used with the utmost care. For vintage items, there may be some marks here and there, but the item is still in the top echelon when compared to similar examples. All Excellent items should be 100% functional in every way.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
I’d say no. I’ve registered a Martin and needed a proof of sale from dealer. I think you need the receipt to register a warranty.
Do all receipts include the name of the original buyer? It usually includes the store name and address only as well as price. If the dealer receipt was included then registration should be possible. I also would not be surprised if online dealers sold returned guitars as new even when they were already used.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
Do all receipts include the name of the original buyer? It usually includes the store name and address only as well as price. If the dealer receipt was included then registration should be possible. I also would not be surprised if online dealers sold returned guitars as new even when they were already used.
I'm sure that more than a couple of people have registered and had warranty repair done on guitars that they bought from unauthorized dealers. But that's definitely not how it's supposed to work. Does that make it ethical, or legal, or right? I'm sure many others have tried and failed to do so.

Dealers regularly sell guitars as new that have been returned by customers. But they're still authorized dealers, and, as such, have the prerogative. It's not really any different than selling something as new that's been hanging on the wall and played by several shoppers in the shop.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 08-07-2021, 06:36 PM

There are lots of people who try to sell lightly used guitars with the warranty cards as being still eligible for warranty work, but it’s nonsense and it won’t work. If someone’s trying to sell you a guitar under that assumption, stay away. If you want to sell a guitar that way, it’s not legitimate and you shouldn’t attempt it.

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion