The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-06-2021, 10:39 AM

+1 to unitune. Not much more expensive than snark nowadays, but much more accurate
Old 08-06-2021, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

I use a Snark tuner but I'm very careful to mute all of the strings except for the one I'm tuning. I also tune the low E string just slightly below normal, perhaps because I have a tendency to press down too hard on that string when fretting.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:02 AM

Awesome. A tuning education, and recommendations on tuners! I definitely think I've been tuning the low E incorrectly using the guitartuna app. I can see how the tune jumps around from when I first pluck the string to when it settles. I may try to tune it differently and see how that compares to the clip ons. Still, I'll try some other aps and clip ons to see how they do for me. Appreciate all the replies.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:04 AM

Tuning fork in the key of E. You strike it on a wooden object (not the guitar). And then hold the base of it of it near the guitar soundhole.
You then pluck an E and the two sounds oscillate together.
As you tune to pitch the two sounds stop oscillating and just become one note together. Hey presto. No batteries required.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shishigashira View Post
I generally use the GuitarTuna app on my phone. But I also have a cheap Snark tuner. I ended up putting the snark in a drawer and kept using the GuitarTuna app because I usually have my phone around and I'm taking it out to use UltimateGuitar anyways. Still, when my brother in law came over to jam he immediately said my guitar was out of tune, which I thought odd. I retuned with GuitarTuna and but no dice. So I used his clip on which was telling me I was off. I fished out my Snark and same thing. Now I'm wondering if my tuning has been off for a while. I have a pretty new Google Pixel phone and I thought the mic was working well, so I'm not sure why the app and the clip on tuners are telling me different things.

Anywho, long story short, what are others using and any issues with GuitarTuna?
Hi Shishigashira
Never got along with GuitarTuna.

For a phone tuner I prefer AiryWare (and I paid them for it because I want them to keep supporting it & updating/improving).

I also use the Peterson for iPhones and my iPads…especially good when setting intonation on electric guitars. Of course these are fine in the living room, but not on stage.

For clip ons, I still have a few Snarks (actually some unopened I give for gifts). But in every acoustic case I carry TC Electronics (I have both then cheap and the expensive versions) and for my electrics I use the Korg Sledgehammer.

With either the TC Electronics, or the Sledgehammer I can tune in the middle of a band in the middle of a song.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-06-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Peterson StroboClip or TC Unitune…
Me too. Unitune when playing with others, Stroboclip when alone or before I leave the house to go to a jam.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:26 AM

I have multiple Snark, and D'addario clip on tuners. My friend gave me a Kala rechargable clip on. It lasted a year on the charge. I now have 2 of those. I try to keep a tuner for every instrument, it is easier that way. Clip on works best for me.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:31 AM

I use TC UniTune clip-ons bought from Sweetwater. Very accurate, easy to use.

As a note: I also use Guitar Tuna for with my electrics. The times I've used the app for my acoustics, I've found it very accurate: though fiddly to get the exact tune dialed it.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:57 AM

Unitune or Polytune
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 08-06-2021, 12:02 PM

Super snarks. One per guitar.
Old 08-06-2021, 12:24 PM

TC polytune and unitune.
Snarks are fine, but TC preferred.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 08-06-2021, 01:10 PM

In an acoustic setting playing alone or with others the standard clip-ons work fine for me.

In a plugged-in gig I like my Korg tuner pedal as it also works as a mute.

In any kind of noisy environment pitch pipes or phone apps that require me to compare tones don't work very well.
Old 08-06-2021, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Here is my comparison video :

https://youtu.be/8jlDciZy71s

Irelied on the Planet Waves/D'addario mini clip tuners for years, but have changed to TC Unitunes.

Bought one, liked it, then they disappeared. Some of my lovely zoom clients sent some to me. I am replete.
Old 08-06-2021, 01:47 PM

I used to only use my D’Addario sound hole tuners but lately I’ve been using my iPhone app more and more. I like the fact that it can do alternate tunings.
Old 08-06-2021, 01:49 PM

Another satisfied Unitune and Polytune clip-on tuner user. I also have a Polytune 3 on my pedalboard.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion