The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-06-2021, 07:03 AM

Default Amigo Guitar Shows - - -

https://www.amigoguitarshows.com

Never heard of them but one is coming to So Cal at the Hangar in the OC Fairgrounds.

Anyone been to one and if so, was it worth the effort and admission of $20.00?

Joe Bonamassa is suppposed to be attending with some of his collection - - -
2019 Ryan Nightingale Bearclaw Sitka/EIR

Old 08-06-2021, 07:17 AM

Those used to be billed under "4 Amigos". I used to go to them religiously when I lived in southern California.

If you want to see amazingly rare and vintage guitars, there's no place better. They get a a large number of vendors, and they're selling everything from guitars, amps, parts, records, t-shirts, memorabilia, etc.

If you're looking to buy a guitar, be prepared to pay top dollar. Most vendors will bargain with you, but some will not, and their prices are always marked at the top of the price range for a piece. If you're looking to get top dollar for a guitar you're selling, don't sell it to one of the vendors. I took a Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom to a guitar show in Orlando once, and I was asking $1,500, which was a fair price for the guitar. Now, I wouldn't expect a dealer to pay that, but I also didn't expect dealers to give me offers in the $400-$600 range, either.

When it comes to buying guitars, vendors just don't have very deep pockets.

But if you just want to go to see cool guitars, yeah, it could be worth the twenty bucks...
Old 08-07-2021, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

I've gone most every year for quite a few. The shows can be very hit-or-miss, especially with regard to acoustic guitars. There have been some dealers that I looked forward to seeing, but they were never there consistently. Some of the dealers that routinely come often have the same inventory from previous shows, with prices that don't really motivate one to buy. Walk in's can be good, but again hit and miss. There are dealers with big pockets waiting to pounce on the good stuff that walks in the door--I've even sold to some of them--sometimes you can buy walk in stuff (and I've even bought in the parking lot before something entered the show). It really just depends. The last few shows I've been pretty disappointed with the dealer turn out. And the admission price keeps going up. It used to be $5, and now it's $20--and I fundamentally have a problem with paying $20 to get into an event, which allows me the privilege to potentially buy something from a vendor, but I suppose that's the norm.
Not sure if I'm going this time, as I'm very particular with my purchases as I get older, but you never know what it will be like given the pandemic. BTW, the January show tends to be better, as it's held NAMM weekend, and it seems to attract more sellers.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:47 AM

Street glider is spot on, my experience has been essentially the same, although I did sell a 67 00-18 for $900, needed work. Last time I went to the Bay Area show (2years?) it was $21!
The exciting thing is obviously the really rare, expensive stuff but more so is the people coming in with cases, you never know what treasure may show.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

I’ve been and there are some nice guitars there that might be hard to find sometimes. Pricey? Maybe.

Selection? Go early the first day. Best deals? Sunday afternoon when they are thinking they’ll have to pack it up unsold. More willing to deal. Take cash. I’ve got a couple deals.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

I traded emails with the guy who runs it, and seems like a decent guy.

I believe he said that Norman's Rare Guitars will have a booth. We might display at one someday, but not till COVID is gone.

I went to one about five years ago -- also in Costa Mesa -- but it's so long ago that I don't remember much. There DID seem to be a lot of acoustics for sale, not just electrics.

scott memmer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion