The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-20-2021, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
It's not the string.

Bend an angle at the ball, so the pin misses the ball when you install it.

The ball should be next to the pin, not beneath it.
I have no experience with these particular strings but just floating a question. Could it be that the winding is getting wedged in the slot of the pin itself and doing what the ball end sometimes does when it pushes out the pin? If this is the case then bending the string at the ball would have no effect, changing the pins for something with a bigger slot would.

Just pushing the pin back in might also work in this case but I'd be wary of pushing too hard.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
It's not the string.

Bend an angle at the ball, so the pin misses the ball when you install it.

The ball should be next to the pin, not beneath it.
The ball is seated properly next to the pin, not beneath it. The wrapped portion of this string is just too thick to allow the non-slotted pin to fully seat.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 06-21-2021, 12:42 PM

After using these strings a little bit more, I think I like them. I'll probably use these three sets, and maybe buy more when those are done. But, if I could have a set of Martin monell's done the same way, I would seriously pay 30 to $40 a set. I'm extremely pleased to be rid of string squeak for the first time in my 20+ years of playing, but these strings get so dirty so quickly. I used some Fast Fret and a Terry cloth yesterday to clean them, and that section of the rag was completely filthy afterwards. I never had that using the Martin Monel's. I also have grown really fond of the silver string look on My guitar, and do not like the looks of these at all.

Martin, if you are listening, I'll be the first in line for a set of flat ground Monels!!!!!
Old 06-21-2021, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Could it be that the winding is getting wedged in the slot of the pin itself and doing what the ball end sometimes does when it pushes out the pin? If this is the case then bending the string at the ball would have no effect, changing the pins for something with a bigger slot would.
The winding is too thick for the slot in the bridge. Even though the ball-end is fully seated at the bridge plate, the unslotted pin will not fully seat. IMO it's more an issue of esthetics than anything else.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 06-21-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Woody View Post
After using these strings a little bit more, I think I like them. I'll probably use these three sets, and maybe buy more when those are done. But, if I could have a set of Martin monell's done the same way, I would seriously pay 30 to $40 a set. I'm extremely pleased to be rid of string squeak for the first time in my 20+ years of playing, but these strings get so dirty so quickly. I used some Fast Fret and a Terry cloth yesterday to clean them, and that section of the rag was completely filthy afterwards. I never had that using the Martin Monel's. I also have grown really fond of the silver string look on My guitar, and do not like the looks of these at all.

Martin, if you are listening, I'll be the first in line for a set of flat ground Monels!!!!!

It's good to see another guitar player who likes the Magma Flat PB strings.
I've been using the Magma Flat GA120PBF on two of my acoustics since 09 March 2021 and on my Jumbo acoustic since 07 June 2021. I still very happy with them.

It's interesting your Magma strings get dirty so quickly, I haven't seen that on the Magma GA120PBF string sets that are presently installed on my 3 acoustic guitars. I have had dirty string issues on certain string sets in the past, (dark smudges on finger tips) but no dark smudged finger tips so far with these Magma .010 - .048 strings.
I don't wipe down the strings after playing and my acoustics are always sitting out on guitar stands never in their cases.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 08-08-2021, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quick question on break in time: I have just (like 10 mins ago) put a set of magma flat pb 10s on my Emerald X30 (a mighty sounding CF jumbo that I usually have 11s on) and it sounds like it has been emasculated. Any ideas how long I should leave them on before deciding if they are going to work?
I went for 10s as I heard these run to a higher tension than usual. Recently I have been running optima vintageflex on it.
Old 08-08-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
Quick question on break in time: I have just (like 10 mins ago) put a set of magma flat pb 10s on my Emerald X30 (a mighty sounding CF jumbo that I usually have 11s on) and it sounds like it has been emasculated. Any ideas how long I should leave them on before deciding if they are going to work?
I went for 10s as I heard these run to a higher tension than usual. Recently I have been running optima vintageflex on it.
I think they will not work, then. Mine sound pretty much the same now as they did when I put them on.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion