The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-05-2021, 09:21 PM

Default Calling on all Yairi experts

I am seriously considering a 2005 or 2006 Masterworks Yairi OM 12 fret. One is branded with AY (2005) logo on headstock but with blue K Yairi label, signed. The other is branded K Yairi (2006) on the headstock with blue signed K Yairi label. Is one considered made better than the other? Both are the same model number and made in Kani, Gifu.

The K Yairi is about 1K more and new/unused and pristine. The AY logo one is in good shape but been played quite a bit.

Thoughts?
Old 08-06-2021, 03:56 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

As far as construction, they should be of equal quality. As I'm sure you know, the AY is just the indicator that the guitar was made for Alvarez to be sold through St Louis Music. The process for construction is/was not different between the guitars sold as Alvarez Yairi and K Yairi.

As for the thousand dollar price difference... if you can't play them first then there's really no way to tell if one is worth more. A few minor scuffs on a guitar that's almost 20 years old does not bother me, so I would likely try the less expensive one first.

I am a bargain hunter, though. My first Yairi I purchased from a local pawn shop and talked them down to $1100. The second one I got for $700 from a very small local music store. They both play and sound amazing.

Let us know what you decide... and post some pictures!
Old 08-06-2021, 10:04 AM

K. Yairi built AY guitars for the US market and K. Yairi brand for the Japanese market primarily. They were not for export at least to the US. Sometimes you'll see K. Yairi guitars with AY branded head stocks but you'll never see AY guitars with K. Yairi head stocks. I think they just grabbed AY necks if they ran out of K. Yairi ones. Quality should be the same.
Old 08-06-2021, 10:10 AM

Is that K coming from Japan, that would make a difference to me you might get unexpected customs charges
Old 08-06-2021, 10:21 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

This video demonstrates the guitar-making process for K Yairi guitars. I found it absolutely fascinating when I first saw it. After playing my first Yairi, I fell in love with them and always keep my eyes out for any 'deals too good to pass up'.

Old 08-07-2021, 04:28 PM

Gotta love all the knowledge on this forum! Thank you for all the information.

So the AY (2005) is here in the states and must have been an import as it does not have a Alvarez label but the blue K. Yairi label. The K. Yairi (2006) is in Europe and new/unplayed. It does not help that both sellers are beyond nice and not at all pushy.

I am leaning towards the new unplayed 2006 K. Yairi in Europe regardless of being 1 K more + import fees, as I feel this may be a little more collectible and the guitar looks and sounds absolutely gorgeous (from afar). Torn!
Old 08-09-2021, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
After playing my first Yairi, I fell in love with them and always keep my eyes out for any 'deals too good to pass up'.
Same here. Just snagged a DY91 in excellent condition few days ago. On vacation right now but might write a NGD when i get back.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion