The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-07-2021, 05:28 PM

Pretty familiar story. I think you will continue to congratulate yourself for your choice. The Collings OM2 is a great guitar.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:22 PM

Congratulations on the new Collings. Can’t say enough about the fit/finish of their guitars.

Cheers

George
Old 08-08-2021, 12:37 AM
Charter Member

Really nice looking Collings! They make some truly amazing guitars.
Old 08-08-2021, 01:03 AM

+1
Count me in on that same story. Collings OM's are amazing guitars. Mine is Koa (which I love). The wood grain on yours is particularly attractive. Congrats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
Congratulations on the new OM1T!

I have to chuckle every time I hear someone say about their first Collings, “I couldn’t get the sound out of my head, went back the next day and…..”. Know what, the exact same thing happened to me back in the ‘90’s in Austin, and I’m far from the only one who could recite the same words. It’s uncanny, really, a tale that gets told and retold among Collings players.

Yours is a real beauty, and as it continues to reveal itself to you I hope you come to cherish it. Oh yes, here’s the spot for the obligatory “it likely won’t be your last Collings”, and I mean that in the best possible way. Play on!
Old 08-08-2021, 02:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I went into my favorite LGS a few days ago and played some guitars. There was this one Collings OM2h with a baked top that just blew me away. I wasn't really looking for anything in particular, and generally speaking, I'm not a fan of cooked tops, but this one had some real magic going on. I played it for a bit and handed it back.

That evening, I just couldn't get the sound of that guitar out of my head, but for some reason, I started to question if the neck was too skinny for me. By the time I woke up, I had it in my head that it was. But I still couldn't stop thinking about it.

I went back yesterday and spent some quality time with it in a room alone. The more I played it, the more I began to realize it wasn't that skinny. Not like a Martin MLO, it had a little more heft than that. They left me alone for an hour with it. (Thanks Maple Street Guitars!) I really took my time with it and played a lot of different stuff, capod, different tunings, etc. I had to make sure.

Long story short, I know they are having a difficult time getting inventory, like everybody else, and I've got quite a few electric guitars that haven't been played in quite some time. I took 3 of them down there to see what they could do. Jeez, the price of used has skyrocketed! When the dust settled I walked out with my first Collings and a deal that I was really happy with!

I'm taking a break from playing for a bit. I've played it so much my fingers are killing me. Moral of the story - sometimes 1st impressions aren't always right. There is some real magic going on with this guitar and I'm thrilled to have it. I can't tell you the last time I was this excited about a NGD!

I've got to give a shout out to Maple Street Guitars. They are just a pleasure to do business with. I asked them to lower the action a bit. They cut me a new saddle so I could keep the original one intact and set it up perfectly for me with new strings. They are really a top notch shop.

I don't play OMs but a good friend has an OM3 and is is the most divine fingerpicker guitar that I have ever heard.

WARNINGS :
1. Your OM2H will not be your last Collings! (I have four, used to have five!

2. All you other guitars will now disappoint.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

I have 2 Collings OMs that I’ve owned for 7 or 8 years and they are fantastic! I think they are workhorse guitars that play well in a suit. Congratulations and best of luck with yours. It’s a beauty.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:34 AM

Thanks guys. I've been playing it all morning. It's so responsive, I'm lightening my attack a little which I'm finding is making me more accurate. What a great guitar!
Old 08-08-2021, 09:09 AM

Congrats!!

This is my third Collings and the first one I feel I'm going to keep! Yes, their OM's are fantastic.
Enjoy!
scott
Old 08-08-2021, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Congrats, James! Lovely looking guitar, which I'm sure sounds even better.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

My first Collings was an OM2H...great guitar which falls under the "Why did I let that one go?" category.

Beautiful guitar...enjoy her!

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 08-09-2021, 12:28 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on an amazing Collings. The ones you can't get out of your head are usually the special guitars. If you find one, don't let it get away. Very happy for you. Looks fantastic too!!
Collings D1 Traditional
Collings OM1C
Gibson EC Ebony Songwriter Custom
Emerald X20
Emerald X30
Martin OMC-28 Custom
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Fender 61 Wildwood 10 Strat
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC

www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion