The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-08-2021, 01:39 AM
Guest 02022022

Default Question about negative things about standing up

deleted account

Last edited by Guest 02022022; 02-02-2022 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-08-2021, 01:50 AM

ok, 3 or 4 things come to mind here:

1) your body is good at muscle memory and sitting with correct posture will not take much concentration after a while

2) Most people that perform for others do so standing up. As you've probably noticed, things feel a little different standing up, so people who perform for others often practice standing up - you practice what you perform, so there is nothing weird about standing to play. If you look at people who spend a LOT of time performing, ie professional bands, you'll see they play standing by default, even to record an album in a studio sometimes.

3) many of the worlds greatest guitarists have weird quirks in the way they play. Brian May plays with a coin for a pick. James Hetfield holds his pick all wrong. Slash rarely uses his little finger (pinky for US folks). John Mayer fingerpicks with only thumb and index finger. The list is endless and all these guys are doing it "all wrong" if you ask the arm chair experts...

4) And the most important.... You only get one body. Do what you need to do to help it and screw what anyone else tells you is the "right" way to do anything... unless it is someone with enough experience to be telling you how to do something without damaging your body. If you need to play standing on your head to keep from long-term harm and discomfort, then do it.

Last edited by RalphH; 08-08-2021 at 02:22 AM.
Old 08-08-2021, 04:35 AM
Charter Member

I find it’s less strain on the back, shoulders and arms to stand while playing. Of course your hips can take a beating if you don’t watch your posture.

Whatever is more comfortable and causes less stress is the correct way to play.
Old 08-08-2021, 05:32 AM

I have pretty much only ever played standing up, I basically only ever sit down if I'm way into a marathon session and I'm getting tired. Sitting down feels weird enough to me that it usually only lasts a couple minuets.

So no, I personally have never noticed a downside.
Old 08-08-2021, 05:33 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Contrarian here. I've adjusted my guitar height on a strap so that there is little difference between my standing and sitting positions. The upper bout sits right below my sternum. I also got an ergo chair (a SoundSeat) because I was having pain problems playing seated for extended times.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-08-2021, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Contrarian here. I've adjusted my guitar height on a strap so that there is little difference between my standing and sitting positions. The upper bout sits right below my sternum. I also got an ergo chair (a SoundSeat) because I was having pain problems playing seated for extended times.

Bob
I think that a big part of the reason I find sitting weird is that I'm more comfortable with the guitar much lower than it is on my lap. Not talking Curt Cobain low or anything, just noticeably lower than a seated position. Too I like the neck angled out in front of me a fair bit, which feels weird when seated but very natural when standing.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

I also have adjusted my guitar strap so that my guitar is at the same position whether I sit or stand. I found (again) that I don't like to sit and perform when performing live. In doing this I have found that I hold the guitar in a better playing position with a strap even when I am sitting. I am supprised at how often I move the guitar around while playing once I focused on it. I do stand while prcticing at times. Especially a couple of days before a show.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 08-08-2021, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

I almost always play standing up - practicing, performing, noodling - everything. On the rare occasion I do play sitting, it's for about 5 minutes and I can't stand it. I don't see any issues with playing standing up. Since it sounds like you're used to playing sitting, it will take some time to get used to it, but for me I find standing to be way more comfortable. It also opens up comfortable playing to larger guitars.
Old 08-08-2021, 11:02 AM

If you're more comfortable and you play better or enjoy playing more (sounds like all three here) than your question answers itself.

I can only think of a single reason that sitting is required for a guitar player: and that is when you have foot-operated devices that require both feet. Classical guitarist are sort of expected to sit, but it doesn't seem like that's your field. So, you're giving up nothing you need to learn.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-08-2021, 11:17 AM

Standing is a better posture for singing.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Standing is a better posture for singing.
Forgot to mention that but yes, 100% correct.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:06 PM

I've never performed seated. I can play seated, but I rarely do. Standing is better for singing, and I spend enough time sitting the rest of the day.

I can't think of a single reason not to play standing.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 08-08-2021, 07:55 PM

As with any standing for periods of time, some folks can have lower back issues.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
I've never performed seated. I can play seated, but I rarely do. Standing is better for singing, and I spend enough time sitting the rest of the day.

I can't think of a single reason not to play standing.
Maybe when you get old you'll be able to think of a reason or two...

I'm in the same camp as Bob Womack, and I usually leave the strap on. My playing position doesn't change much from leaning forward, leaning back while seated, or standing. After years of singing I can do it comfortably either standing or sitting. It's not gonna improve any by standing...

I scaled back a lot on doing any gigs, and the ones I do take on I use a chair or tall stool. It's a refreshing change from YEARS of playing in bands and standing the whole time. What WAS I thinking?
Old 08-08-2021, 08:57 PM

I stand for 4 hours a week with our band - no acoustics in that band. I've never performed sitting down in any band. All my playing at home, acoustic or electric, is sitting down. It's easier to reach all my stuff - iPad, music, lyric sheets, etc - when sitting, and by adjusting your strap like these other guys have mentioned, you can make it feel pretty comfy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion