The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-08-2021, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Hmmm. I'm a habitual "behind the headstock" guy. Since I take it off after tuning (another habit, but then I do switch guitars a lot) there's no reason for my behind habit.
Ha, I’m a habitual ‘in front of the headstock’ guy (for the reason I stated), and I also remove my tuner after tuning!

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 08-08-2021, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richnrbq View Post
Jayne,

I use the Polytune too but am finding that it really mars the headstock of my guitars. I have a new guitar and started to use the Polytune and already see some fine marks. Do you have that issue at all? I love the Polytune as a tuner but am wondering if the headstock damage piece is endemic to the Polytune or is true of all clip on tuners.

Rich
I was in a class taught by luthier Wayne Henderson and he said he uses the Planet Waves soundhole tuner because “it doesn’t cover my name on the headstock”

Martin D28 (1988)
Guild JF30
Voyage Air MD-02
Collings D1
Bourgeois vintage OM
Old 08-08-2021, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Usually this, from the 1930’s.

Sometime’s the Korg, from the 1990’s, I think.

Old 08-08-2021, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purfle Haze View Post
My favorite iPhone tuner is Airyware. It has a nice interface, and the guitar sounds just right when I use it. I also have the Peterson iStrobosoft on my phone, but prefer the Airyware. It's $5, worth a try.
Another vote for Airyware (works on Android too), when I'm in a quiet enough environment for a phone app.

If it's much louder (i.e., actual gig), I'm probably plugged in and prefer a pedal tuner or built-in. My gigging guitar for the past few years has one built in to the barn-door electronics (Fishman Aura) so I haven't needed a pedal for a while. Back in the day, I had a whole rack and used one of these:

There are plenty of good pedal tuners out there; I find them way easier to see and deal with than a little clip-on thing out on the headstock.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion