The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-29-2021, 09:40 AM

Default String question.

Looking for strings that fall in a happy middle ground in terms of brightness. Got a guitar where it feels like strings like the phosphor Daddario regular and Elixer coated strings sound too bright for much of their lives, detracting from the guitars nice warm midrange, then transition through the tonal sweet spot rather quickly. In the same breath I'm finding that the phosphor EB Earthwound and Daddario coated strings dont seem to retain quite enough "Sparkle" for any length of time. Hope that sort of makes sense, I'd like to find something in between to use on this particular guitar.

Obviously more experimenting is in order, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions to point me in the right direction.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

IMO DR rare’s fit the category you’re describing. Certainly worth a shot.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 07-29-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
IMO DR rare’s fit the category you’re describing. Certainly worth a shot.
I really like DR Rare lights and second the suggestion to give them a try. For me they seem to settle in nicely after about an hour of play.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:28 AM

Another DR suggestion but I preferred round-core DR Sunbeams over the hex-core Rares.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 07-29-2021, 04:12 PM

I’d suggest that you try the John Pearse phosphor bronze.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-07-2021, 06:58 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys, my local guitar shop didnt have any DR strings, so I ended up trying D'Addario 80/20 coated strings... so far they seem sound just about perfect. Not bright enough to kill the overtones but with enough sparkle to still give me a more aggressive attack when I want it. Might try 80/20 Earthwound next just for the heck of it.

Funny, I'd been told by a few people that walnut backed guitars generally dont like 80/20 strings, just goes to show that you really do need to try things for yourself rather than just go on conventional wisdom.
Old 08-07-2021, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Funny, I'd been told by a few people that walnut backed guitars generally dont like 80/20 strings, just goes to show that you really do need to try things for yourself rather than just go on conventional wisdom.
Yeah, accepting online advice as Gospel is not the way to go. It all has to do with the individual top on the individual guitar, and there’s really no way around testing different sets of strings on a guitar if you really want to find the best set for it.

whm
Old 08-07-2021, 09:34 PM

There has been a recent large test of many strings on here, and a lot of commentary. Based on that I suggest trying Martin and DR brands as I am doing.

However I find the D'Addario phosphor bronze exp (coated) as the gold standard and hard to beat. - Stevo
Old 08-08-2021, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssynhorst View Post
There has been a recent large test of many strings on here, and a lot of commentary. Based on that I suggest trying Martin and DR brands as I am doing.

However I find the D'Addario phosphor bronze exp (coated) as the gold standard and hard to beat. - Stevo
Yeah the PB D'addario coated strings sound good when new on that guitar, but quickly transition to being a bit more mellow than I want. The 80-20's were a bit bright for a few hours but have settled in nicely, hoping they stay where they are for a decent amount of time.
Old 08-08-2021, 09:28 AM

I like the sound of DR Rare and Sunbeam strings. When I put them on my instruments they give a warm, lush, even tone with plenty of volume and sustain.

A little over a year ago I tried some Curt Mangan phosphor bronze strings ("fusion matched", whatever that means) on my 10 string mandola. Absolutely sounded better than ever - better tone, more volume, longer sustain. So I tried a similar set for a mandolin and another for my 10 string mandocello. Again, each sounded way better than ever before.

Of course I bought a set for my Martin HD-28 (.013 or medium gage). Same effect - the best tone, volume and sustain ever. In my continuing string experiment I bought some Mapes medium phosphor bronze strings for my Martin. Sounds good, but not as good as Curt Mangan's. Not quite as good as DR either.
Old 08-08-2021, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Yeah, accepting online advice as Gospel is not the way to go. It all has to do with the individual top on the individual guitar, and there’s really no way around testing different sets of strings on a guitar if you really want to find the best set for it.

whm
Yes, I agree, there is no accounting for individual taste. That said, I've tried strings recommended by others here just to see and over time I've identified certain people here who have similar tastes to mine. So when I see one of them post something I give it much more credence than a lot of others. Strings aren't the only thing. But it is my way of winnowing out the chaff when I want to try something different and I don't quite know which way to go.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

Last edited by rllink; 08-08-2021 at 09:49 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion