The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 06:43 AM

Default Are "covers" at open mics being squeezed out?

I occasionally perform at an open mic at the nearest coffee shop. They recently asked that no covers be performed because they're being sued.

This is a sad state of affairs. The place is ridiculously small with an audience of ten max.

Is this happening elsewhere?
Old 08-19-2013, 07:03 AM

Probably they haven't paid ASCAP/BMI royalties. An age old situation that has been beaten to death in other threads here.

A great woman...
Two really nice guitars...
I am blessed.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:03 AM

We just heard the exact same thing. One of our customers hosts an open mic at a local coffee shop. He's been doing it for years. An official from ASCAP stopped by and told him he's required to purchase an ASCAP license or risk being sued / shut down. This just happened this past week.
One of our teachers also runs a " Garage Band " business on the side. ( think School of Rock ) He received notice that he is also required to purchase a license. I'm hesitant to play Stairway to Heaven any more.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:31 AM

Yes ... one of the small coffee shop open mics I frequent has had the same situation occur.

While I completely understand the principle involved, I do not agree with the enforcement, which appears capricious, arbitrary, and more than a little heavy handed.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 08-19-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Music View Post
hesitant to play Stairway to Heaven any more.
That's not really a bad thing.......
Old 08-19-2013, 07:48 AM

I imagine most actual artists/songwriters would be appalled by this. If I do a John Prine song, and announce that it's a Prine tune... Essentially I'm advertising for John.
"Prine, huh? Can I buy his records somewhere?".....That sort of thing.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:53 AM

Makes no sense. You have to pick your battles in life. Playing for free should not require a license, you are promoting the copyrighted music.

I understand establishments make good money with bands playing covers, and the artists who wrote the songs should get some payback. However, open mics do not fall into that category. Pisses me off really. I am an ASCAP member too.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:03 AM

I love it. Cutting of your nose to spite your face is always the best choice. Were I a coffee house I would hang up a nice laminated poster of the top 300 or so artists who’ve bought ASCAP/BMI muscle and after the announcement that performers must not play covers suggest that the audience might like to read a partial list of artists who’ve chosen this form of capitalism.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:04 AM

ridiculous. If this happened at the place I play open mics, I'd tell everyone to stop by my house every Wednesday evening instead...

2013 Martin Custom OM-18

2012 Martin 0-28vs
2012 Martin LX1
2012 Telecaster Ltd. Edition Ash Body
2003-ish Takamine Jasmine (first guitar I ever played/learned on)
Old 08-19-2013, 09:56 AM

Sometimes I actually hope that ASCAP wins all the battles. Then maybe we'll write our own music and sing / play it to each other. Then maybe we can develop our own culture and share it instead of having our values and culture sold to us by some amorphous power structure. Ah, my inner conspiracy theorist is back. I'd better go and take my medication now.... :-)

Clark
Old 08-19-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grachi View Post
ridiculous. If this happened at the place I play open mics, I'd tell everyone to stop by my house every Wednesday evening instead...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa3jpg View Post
Sometimes I actually hope that ASCAP wins all the battles. Then maybe we'll write our own music and sing / play it to each other. Then maybe we can develop our own culture and share it instead of having our values and culture sold to us by some amorphous power structure. Ah, my inner conspiracy theorist is back. I'd better go and take my medication now.... :-)

Clark
Starting to come around this way myself. Original music, shared among friends and family. We call it folk, but that's how it always was before there was an industry. Now that the industry is dying and clamoring for whatever they can while they still can, perhaps we will return to music as part of our lifestyle rather than as a commodity.

Taylor 512ce 12-fret (cedar/mahogany grand concert)
Seagull Artist Studio (spruce/rosewood dreadnought)
Old 08-19-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grachi View Post
Go right ahead, and feed everyone - your dime. Enjoy your freedom.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumstrummer View Post
Starting to come around this way myself. Original music, shared among friends and family. We call it folk, but that's how it always was before there was an industry. Now that the industry is dying and clamoring for whatever they can while they still can, perhaps we will return to music as part of our lifestyle rather than as a commodity.
Go right ahead and return music as a lifestyle - you're free to do so. You don't have to play anyone's songs, you can write and play your own, and give them away to all the people of Earth. Have fun!
Old 08-19-2013, 10:38 AM

Does this mean I have to stop covering "Smelly Cat"?
Old 08-19-2013, 10:50 AM

The threat of a lawsuit is real. Just ask Hard Rock Cafe who took on the lawsuit and LOST.

That said, we're talking a SMALL amount of money to comply with ASCAP/BMI.

San Francisco Open Mics took a heavy hit when ASCAP/BMI lawyers started with the lawsuit threats. Most still don't allow covers, but some (like the historic Sacred Grounds Cafe) have paid the dues and are now allowing covers. And, their business is BOOMING again.

Fact is, most people don't want to hear original songs. They are most often WAY too long, and just not very good. When San Francisco went "originals only", the music scene at those venues virtually died.

Bill
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion