The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-29-2014, 12:45 PM

Default OnSong

I felt I was possibly distracting from the OP's question in the other thread so...

I think I found the solution to one my questions. I asked what the lock step instructions are wrt to rules for making a text file work with OnSong

I found this link

http://mykeclements.tumblr.com/post/...using-chordpro

which gave excellent instructions. I downloaded the Komodo editor and attempted to create a song for upload into DropBox and download into OnSong.

As far as I can tell, it worked exactly as advertised. Here is the song I created for OnSong, with all of the formatting from the website. Chord placement may need some tweaking but when going into OnSong, the chords are above the word

{title:Hold Watcha Got}

{subtitle: Jimmy Martin}

{key: D}

Chorus:

H[D]old whatcha got, I'm a coming home baby
H[G]old whatcha got, and I don't mean maybe
I've been thi[D]nking about you, and I'm on my w[A]ay.
Don't s[D]ell the house, don't wreck the car
st[G]ay there honey right where you are
If ya h[D]old whatcha got, I'm a c[A]oming home to st[D]ay.

Verse 1:
Well... in my mind I can see
That's a pretty good sign that I need you
That's why I can't wait to get back home
So squeeze yourself real good and tight
I'll be there before daylight
If you hold whatcha got, I'm a coming home to stay

Verse 2:
Well... when I get back, honey I aint leaving
I been too lonely, little to much grieving
when I get back, honey this time I'm gonna stay.
Well we won't fuss and we won't fight
and this time things is going to be alright
if ya hold whatcha got, I'm a coming home to stay.

[D] [A] [G]
Old 03-29-2014, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsusean View Post
I felt I was possibly distracting from the OP's question in the other thread so...
…I think I found the solution to one my questions. I asked what the lock step instructions are wrt to rules for making a text file work with OnSong
Hi mtsusean...

Here's the direct link to OnSong's instructions for formatting metadata…

Writing/editing Songs in OnSong - ClicK

Your example looks good.

What is frustrating is importing songs which have not followed the protocol strictly so you cannot format (or transpose) them without first, opening, editing and diagnosing them, correcting and testing them. It's just time consuming.

It's not so much an issue if all the music is available in text format on the internet. Where it fails is with self-written songs, or things which are so obscure that you end up typing charts on your own, in the app on the iPad.

I think OnSong is a great choice for teams of musicians who all must have access to the same music, but need to perform in different keys (or with capos) week to week. Not all instruments are key of C (Brass are Bb, Saxes Eb or Ab), so the transpose feature is handy for them too.

It has potential to be more flexible and useful, and a companion formatting app that is computer based and linked to our iPad/iOS devices would be most handy because of slow typing/editing on the iPad issues.

Also, if someone else doesn't have the app ($13 purchase) then beaming is moot. And once they iron out the issues with Planning Center (for worship teams) it will be even more useful.

Hope they keep developing it and listening to the end user feedback.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion