The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-09-2022, 05:41 PM

Default Any Collings techs in Sydney

Hi.

I've got an a fabulous and newish C10-35 that I want set up to my precise specifications, particularly the action and relief.

The local dealers, The Gladesville Guitar Factory, had a go (twice!), but I'm not really happy with the results, so I'm looking for an alternative.

Obviously, there are not going to be many techs who have experience with Collings in Sydney, but if anyone with a Collings (or even without one) can recommend a top class acoustic guitar tech who is available and has time then I'd really appreciate it. If they are in or near the eastern suburbs that would be an advantage.
Old 03-09-2022, 11:27 PM

There isn’t anything different about setting up a Collings from Martin, Gibson or anyone else save Taylor and the Martin SC13e (any possibly some other shim-necked guitar I’m not aware of). My advice is that if you’ve paid a tech to set up the guitar and it’s not to your liking, tell them how you want it different and have it redone. That said, I always advise getting familiar with a great tech/luthier in your area, speak to them about what you want/like/need and have that person do all of your work.
Old 03-09-2022, 11:41 PM

Take it to Jeff Mallia in Concord. He did great work on my acoustics when I lived in Sydney.
Old 03-10-2022, 03:27 AM

Paul and the guys at Guitar Factory have been in business there for over 40 years and they are great people. If you aren't happy, I'd ask them to tweak it.
But, if they can't help I would suggest Gerard Gilet out at Mascot? he builds very nice guitars. He did some great repair and setup work for me albeit a long time ago.

Opps, just looked and Gerard has moved to Gulgong. Not quite Eastern Suburbs any more!!
Old 03-10-2022, 04:25 AM

I heard good things about Alan Rigg in Glebe - https://www.alanrigg.com.au/

Charles Cilia also comes highly recommended - https://ciliaguitars.com/

Darrell Wheeler - Wheeler Custom Lutherie - took over the Gilet's Botany's workshop I believe - he worked on my archtop

Lots of fantastic experience with Corcoran Custom Guitars and Repair Service in Petersham...
Old 03-10-2022, 08:07 PM

Thanks for the recommendations. I've spoken to Jeff Mallia a while back but he is now too busy to take much work. Building his own guitars now.

Agreed there is nothing special about Collings to require a 'Collings tech', but I was hoping someone with a Collings would chime in as each manufacturer does have its quirks which might require a bit of inside or prior knowledge.

Regarding, Gladesville Guitar Factory, I'm not out to criticise them. They are an excellent guitar shop. But they are pretty preoccupied and, quite frankly, I came to them with precise specs given to me by Mark Althans at Collings and they didn't/couldn't implement them. Maybe the guitar can't meet these specs. This is what I'd like to know and am seeking a second opinion.

Anyway, the guitar is great. I'm just trying to optimise it for my playing style and needs. I can't see why, in principle, it can't be as easy to play as my Martins which came to me already set up within my range of specification preferences. Maybe it can't be, and if so perhaps a tech could explain why this is must be the case. In principle though, the C10-35 has optimal dimension specs for me: especially the neck which is just a perfect shape and thickness. I'd just like to see if I can translate this 'in principle' to 'in fact'.
Old 03-10-2022, 08:10 PM

I own four.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion