The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-20-2017, 12:03 AM

Default How high can the nylon hi E tune too before breaking

I've gotton one up to B flat. Nylon strings are very stretchy. Has anyone tuned the nylon hi e until it popped? If so what note did you reach?

Last edited by guitar344; 02-20-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar344 View Post
I've gotten one up to B flat.
Use a capo instead...
Seriously though, and no disrespect intended, but what you are experimenting with doesn't seem to have any music or guitar related value. You may also damage your guitar in the process. I would avoid it.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 02-20-2017, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

In all seriousness, what is the point of this? The tensile strength (I think that's the right term) of any piece of nylon line is a matter of physics, with no connection or relevance to music...as already stated.

Dave
Old 02-20-2017, 05:23 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Every string will probably reach a different max tension before failing. But I can't see why anyone would want to do this, and I'd be afraid of causing guitar damage (as already mentioned). I also suspect a nylon string tuned up well past its intended pitch would lose its uniform thickness (theoretical) and get a bit bluesy for my personal taste.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:25 PM

How many pairs of safety glasses do you own?
Old 02-20-2017, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

The string, after passing through the e# to f range, will no longer intonate properly. The strings will only be accurate within a couple of steps of the designed open string note. If you want a higher note on the first string I would suggest a string designed for the note you want. Also, after stretching the string a full step or two beyond it's designed note, it will no longer intonate correctly at any note, most likely. The are stretchy, but do not like to be stretched beyond their designed specification.

I know, I know, I'm just no fun at all!
Old 02-26-2017, 01:14 AM

When I was young and inexperienced I attempted to tune the Low E on my bass guitar an octave higher than it was designed for, Given my inexperience I had no idea why I kept breaking them. I went through several strings before I worked out my problem.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical