The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-22-2017, 11:42 PM

No
Get the Gretsch 5420 hollowbody and spend the other $3300 on something else.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:42 AM

I used to sell Gretschs and more importantly, I've owned more than a few vintage and modern Pro series Gretschs, and my favorite was a modern Pro Series Country Gent. Here is a recording of it, check out the Filtertron tone....

The Electromatics are nice but they are not on the same level as the Pro Series. The Alnico Filtertron pickups in the Pro Series are the real deal, not so in the Electromatics. The quality of the woods are also better in the Pro Series especially the fingerboard. If you can't hear the difference or feel the difference between an Electromatic and a Pro Series you don't deserve the Pro Series. The are so many differences in the model that you bought, as in Lacquer finish, Ebony fingerboard, Rocking Bar Bridge, Upper tier Bigsby (not licensed by), TV Jones Filtertrons(which sound incredible), Paper and Oil Caps, Gretsch Imperial tuners, and all of these differences will get you closer to the true vintage Gretsch tones! The Electromatics use the top Blacktop Filtertrons which have more of a modern sound, rosewood fingerboard, poly finish, Licensed by Bigsby, ABR bridge, open back tuners, thicker laminates in the body (making it more feedback resistant, but less resonant in the tone dept)! As I said the Electromatics are nice, constructed and setup well, but they do not have the vintage like tone of the Pro Series, although they are definitely a good value for the money, and great sounding, fun guitars

Here's my latest Pro series Gretsch, a flametop duojet, although I just replaced the space control bridge with a titanium tru-arc bridge and that's not in the pic....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars