The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-21-2017, 08:19 PM

I'm happy with my Peavey eCoustic 208. That's just 20 watts, but 2 8"speakers ... That and a amp stand and I'm good for small rooms. They have a 100w version with a 12 and a 5" speaker too.

It has inputs for guitar and mic, reverb, chorus, and basic eq

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
If I were starting again (I have all the PA gear I can possibly use) I'd get a nice small passive mixer with FX, and a good quality powered speaker. Better than most acoustic amps with vocals, great for guitars, and more flexible.
I agree. I like the sound of my Yamaha MSR400S through my MG8CX mixer. I get so many compliments on my sound for vocals and guitar.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:38 PM

Still torn on the merits of an amp vs a powered speaker and mixer. The Alto Trouper is looking nice, but then I'll want some kind of reverb for vocals and a DI/EQ for guitar. The amp route still seems more simple and complete... But then I can't really expand or support a duo... Oh the delima lol!!!
Old 02-22-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
If I were starting again (I have all the PA gear I can possibly use) I'd get a nice small passive mixer with FX, and a good quality powered speaker. Better than most acoustic amps with vocals, great for guitars, and more flexible.
I agree with RustyAxe.

I have a nice acoustic amp, but quit using it gigging when I got a Yamaha DBR10.

I'd buy a quality PA with 8-10" driver and a small passive mixer with effects or an fx unit designed for guitar and vocals.

The system may be a little over your budget after you work some discounts, but more capable, flexible, and less expensive than an amp with the same capability.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattymagoo View Post
Still torn on the merits of an amp vs a powered speaker and mixer. The Alto Trouper is looking nice, but then I'll want some kind of reverb for vocals and a DI/EQ for guitar. The amp route still seems more simple and complete... But then I can't really expand or support a duo... Oh the delima lol!!!
You answered your own question.

If you need to be able to support a duo in the future, look into the compact PA options. There are a number of those out there. The most cost effective options are as previously stated, a passive mixer and some powered speakers. A used Yamaha Stagepass system, JBL EON, or Samson i system would fit the bill. They also have their drawbacks, but not many.

If you want to be adventurous, you can also check out my thread on the Carvin S600B. Or, the recent thread on the Harbinger MLS800. I also highly recommend the Line 6 L2t, which you can't find used because no one who buys one wants to sell it. It's well over your budget but it sounds amazing, and would not require any additional mixer or pedals until you add your duo partner. You can purchase a used Fishman SA220 for around $600. I saw a used JBL EON ONE for $750.

The issue you have is that your budget, your present and future needs are not congruent. For $300, you're either going to buy a crippled PA system, or a simple amp with no upgrade path. If the budget is firm, you're probably better off buying the amp and worrying about the duo issue in the future. Otherwise, increase your budget to $700 or $1,000 and buy once. Most of us who have been through this will tell you that you spend less money buying once, but we ALL learn that lesson the hard way. You probably will too. C'est la vie!
Old 02-22-2017, 05:08 PM

I with Rev. Tim T, I like my Fender Acoustasonic 150. Its light and loud and the mic side of the amp has its own channel and controls. There are several reviews on the net which are helpful. If you had more money, I'd go with a used SWR California Blonde. It is very heavy, that's the reason I sold mine. But, it has a natural sound and is loud. I'd buy used from GC, purchase their insurance for peace of mind. I still have my Strawberry Blonde but the reverb section has failed. Hope this helps.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 02-23-2017, 11:22 AM

Are line arrays like the bose L1 good for small rooms where the is no real stage and your playing right up and next to the audience or would a small point source speaker like the DXR10 or Q10 be a better solution?
Old 02-23-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
...Budget is around $300...Thanks for any suggestions.
Score a good older used keyboard amp with independent channel EQ/FX like the Peavey KB4/KB5 or Fender KXR200: loads of power/headroom, true full-range response (you're not rolling off the bottom octave, nor are you dealing with the nails-on-a-blackboard treble typical of many dedicated acoustic amps), and they'll handle more than one instrument at a time - think of them as a budget (and much heavier - you'll definitely need a dolly/handtruck/casters) alternative to the well-respected Carvin AG300. Used to rent the Fender regularly during the mid/late-90's - handled guitar/bass/banjo/mandolin with equal facility (4-band EQ on each channel) and tons of reserve power, and I'm sorry I didn't buy one at the time...
Old 02-23-2017, 06:26 PM

Thank you everyone for all of the advice. I just ordered on Alto Trouper from musicians friend with a 20% off coupon. That leaves room in my budget for a mixer, and hopefully I can find the EV ND76 that I believe is floating around my house somewhere LOL. If not, I will have to try to get my SM58 back from a guy that borrowed it three years ago. That will be awkward!
Old 02-23-2017, 07:01 PM

Very nice. That seems like a good solution, and leaves you a little room for the mixer. Well done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Here, here. Got the Yamaha MG 10 XU and two powered Alto speakers for our duet. Versatile, easy to transport and sounds great.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-24-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotValid View Post
Are line arrays like the bose L1 good for small rooms where the is no real stage and your playing right up and next to the audience or would a small point source speaker like the DXR10 or Q10 be a better solution?
The line arrays sound good and natural, close and at distance, in my experience. They offer better sound dispersion than most powered speakers.

Quote:
Thank you everyone for all of the advice. I just ordered on Alto Trouper from musicians friend with a 20% off coupon. That leaves room in my budget for a mixer, and hopefully I can find the EV ND76 that I believe is floating around my house somewhere LOL. If not, I will have to try to get my SM58 back from a guy that borrowed it three years ago. That will be awkward!
The Alto speakers I read about good very good reviews. Good luck on the rest of your equipment building and getting your mics back.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification