The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-28-2024, 06:42 PM

Default Relatively new PRS Model

PRS Se SA 22 (Swamp Ash)Very, very interesting guitar and guitar tones. It's really like nothing even close to traditional PRS sounds. Cool vibe. No sense in trying to describe it in words. Youtube might shed some light but safe to say it covers a ton of sonics without really trying to be a cheap emulation. It's its own thing. I played it today and couldn't put it down. I'm in big time. Play one if'n you can.
Old 02-29-2024, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Very cool If I did not already own a C 24
This would likely be the PRS I would choose
Interesting HSH configuration with the ability to use the 3 position toggle and the coil tap to get blends of single coil and bucker
My C 24 has the regular 85/15 pickups , this has the S version of the 85/15 and the bolt on neck (said to give it a bit more Fender like spank ? )
Looks to be a lot of guitar for $850

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-29-2024, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

What a cool guitar for a very reasonable price! I have noticed just what Joseph Hanna commented on in his OP. These guitars seem to have their own sound! They also look great! I keep getting tempted!

- Glenn
Old 03-05-2024, 08:16 PM

It's cool that they brought it back as an SE model. I picked one up in Dec when they had the big SE sale going on. I don't think I would have dropped 2K to get one of the older ones.
Old 03-08-2024, 04:50 AM

A reasonable alternative to the Special22 Semi.

Swamp ash has delightful tone, and the trans teal on the SES is sweet.
Old 03-08-2024, 08:24 AM

I broke down and bought this guitar.

For years and years, as a gigging musician, one of my goal was to accurately capture the tone and personality of certain guitars. I was obsessed (still am) with great Telecaster tones. But it (tone-wise) was singular. To have the best tele tone goin'. Not a Tele that served as a jack of all trades but a Tele that sounded like a Tele. BTW: a humbucker in the bridge of a Tele is a crime against humanity. I went through another phase with Strats. I wanted it to sound singularly like a great Strat and it needn't cover any more sonic territories than just that.

Somewhere along the road, I guess I got a tad lazy. I came across a 24-fret PRS, which to this day was the smoothest, best playing electric guitar I had ever encountered. But for sonic it was simply a compromise. It was that old thing that the PRS wasn't quite a Paul, it wasn't a Strat, it wasn't a Tele. It didn't sound like any of those signature tones. What it did do was cover a lot of ground for cover tunes. The Strat emulation was close enough that nobody listening would have possibly noticed.

So the Swamp Ash comes along and where the old mantra still applies it's just such a great-sounding guitar I find it hard to put down and a departure from the "attempt" at emulation.. The three-position old-school wiring humbuckers (front/combined/neck) are all bright crisp and usable in all positions. The push-pull setup is a series of wonderful single-coil sounds. All are usable to the nth degree but more unique and much less a feeble attempt at emulation. I dunno, maybe it's just this guitar, maybe it's the Swamp Ash but I didn't see a PRS in my future but honestly, this thing is a sonic beast. If ya get a chance play one, I'd love to know what you think.
Old 03-08-2024, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new PRS! I have not played this model so I can't really comment on how it sounds. I think several folks here at AGF have purchased these guitars though, and everything I have heard has been good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars