The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-28-2018, 04:33 PM

Default Martin OM GC Custom?

Does anyone have any info or comments on these? The one I ran across looks good and played well, and was attractively priced. I was told it was a 2010 model, made to be sold at Guitar Center.

I'm not well-versed on Martin nomenclature. This one had the Martin headstock logo, and had the standard Martin/Nazareth stamp inside, if I recall. It was Spruce and solid rosewood, according to the seller. Body was bound, white, neck unbound. So, that makes it like an OM-28, maybe less well appointed?

Do they typically sound as good as a "regular" Martin. How does the market tend to value them?

Any compelling reasons to avoid one of these?

Thanks!

Just playing for my own amazement

Martin 000-15sm
Eastman E10SS
RainSong SMH
Blueridge BR-142
The Loar LH-250
Recording King RPS-9 (for slide)
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin
A Strat and a Tele
Les Paul and Jazzmaster copies
Old 08-28-2018, 04:49 PM

You need more information.........

GC has "customs" that are less expensive than standard Martins, and they have had Custom Shop runs that are very expensive. My GC CS OM-28 Madagascar was $6500 MSRP, and that was before Madagascar jumped a LOT. Another GC CS 00-42 was $8500 MSRP(Carpathian over Amazon, hot hide glue), so it depends.

Does the neck block say Custom or Custom Shop, in the past the difference was blurred but recently, including 2010, custom means non-standard (often downgrades in appointments), and Custom Shop "usually" means non-standard but upgrades (woods, appointments, hot hide glue, etc.).

Some Custom Shop runs can be basically the same guitar as a standard, but a nut/neck profile change, CS HD-28's and HD-28V's with a 1-3/4" nut (before Martin changes a lot of models to 1-3/4" nuts) were very popular with larger dealers.

Back to....you need more information...

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 08-28-2018, 05:07 PM

Sounds like a 000-MMV , if its older than those, its simply a custom 16 with some appointments from a 28 but will still have M/T neck and likely the same bracing the 000-16GT has. Now, if it has a nice 1-3/4 nut and 2-1/4 spacing t would designate as an OM but 16's are long scale anyway but typically have a 1-11/16 nut and 2-1/8 spacing. A picture is worth a thousand words.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripdotcom View Post
Sounds like a 000-MMV , if its older than those, its simply a custom 16 with some appointments from a 28 but will still have M/T neck and likely the same bracing the 000-16GT has. Now, if it has a nice 1-3/4 nut and 2-1/4 spacing t would designate as an OM but 16's are long scale anyway but typically have a 1-11/16 nut and 2-1/8 spacing. A picture is worth a thousand words.
Good points, it does sound like it might be an MMV....

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 08-28-2018, 05:26 PM

OP here. I will go back and check the scale length, nut and string spacing at the saddle. And the neck block for a Custom Shop stamp.

I'm guessing this isn't custom shop, but "custom" for Guitar Center to sell as a "less-well-appointed-but-still-a-Martin" type of thing.

If this were a OOO wouldn't it have the OOO body shape? This one definitely has that square-shouldered OM shape to it.

Martin 000-15sm
Eastman E10SS
RainSong SMH
Blueridge BR-142
The Loar LH-250
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin
A Strat and a Tele
Old 08-28-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJ View Post
OP here. I will go back and check the scale length, nut and string spacing at the saddle. And the neck block for a Custom Shop stamp.

I'm guessing this isn't custom shop, but "custom" for Guitar Center to sell as a "less-well-appointed-but-still-a-Martin" type of thing.

If this were a OOO wouldn't it have the OOO body shape? This one definitely has that square-shouldered OM shape to it.
I thought the 000 body was basically the same as the OM.. I'm not a Martin guy by any means but I was under the impression they shared the same 15"(?) body, the only thing differing being (typically) the scale length.... am I totally off kilter here?
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 08-28-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v32 finish View Post
I thought the 000 body was basically the same as the OM.. I'm not a Martin guy by any means but I was under the impression they shared the same 15"(?) body, the only thing differing being (typically) the scale length.... am I totally off kilter here?
000 and OM are the same size, the difference between 000 and OM is typically (but not always for those of you that argue like I do) 24.9" scale on 000 and 25.4" scale for OM (fun fact, Maton uses a longer long scal 25.7 I believe). 000 guitars like the 000 15, earlier 000-18, 000-16 are usually 1-11/16 nut, 2-1/8 at saddle while the OM is usually 1-3/4 and 2-1/4 respectively. One may consider the 15's and 16's OM due to the scale lenght but lack the proper spacing usually accociated with OM guitars. I have a long scale 00 with 1-3/4 and 2-1/4 but that doesnt make it an OM. Anyway, it is probably a good guitar regardless, I suspect it is either a 16 custom, MMV or if you are lucky I know they made a cool OM 28 custom for guitar center around that time and only the measurements will tell you, I also think it came with open gear tuners.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

You can usually tell the body type on a Martin by looking at the pickguard as well, as long as it's original. OM pickguards will be "cut off" at the soundhole, while 000's will be a "full" pickguard like you'd see on a dread.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:12 PM

I recently pickup up a GC exclusive 000-MMV. It's a great guitar, and I enjoy the hell out of it, but be aware it's value is well below the standard series Martins. It's probably worth doing a little extra digging to find out exactly what it is before buying.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:22 PM

12 fret 000's can be shaped MUCH different than an OM.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 08-29-2018, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
12 fret 000's can be shaped MUCH different than an OM.

yes, thats a completely different subject. We are discussing 14 fret guitars.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:18 AM

OP here. I think I confused things by stating my misconception that Martin OOO's and OM's had slightly different body shapes/sizes. I now know that's not the case.

Although my knowledge of Martins isn't very deep, I do understand all the issues around scale length, nut width, string spacing, etc. The guitar in question is an hour away, and I can't get pictures and measurements until I go back to see it in a couple of days.

Can someone please take a minute and tell me the characteristics of the MMV and 16 designated Martins?

I'm interested in finding an affordable (< $1,500) long scale, OOO/OM size, all solid Mahogany or Rosewood, 1 3/4 in nut with a spruce top. The guitar in question may fit the bill, I just need to know what it really is, if possible.

Any suggestions of other models/brands are welcome. Doesn't have to be a Martin.

Thanks for all the replies!

Martin 000-15sm
Eastman E10SS
RainSong SMH
Blueridge BR-142
The Loar LH-250
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin
A Strat and a Tele
Old 08-29-2018, 09:45 AM

there is a breedlove that matches everything you want and more in the classified section for $899
Old 08-29-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
OP here. I think I confused things by stating my misconception that Martin OOO's and OM's had slightly different body shapes/sizes. I now know that's not the case.

Although my knowledge of Martins isn't very deep, I do understand all the issues around scale length, nut width, string spacing, etc. The guitar in question is an hour away, and I can't get pictures and measurements until I go back to see it in a couple of days.

Can someone please take a minute and tell me the characteristics of the MMV and 16 designated Martins?

I'm interested in finding an affordable (< $1,500) long scale, OOO/OM size, all solid Mahogany or Rosewood, 1 3/4 in nut with a spruce top. The guitar in question may fit the bill, I just need to know what it really is, if possible.

Any suggestions of other models/brands are welcome. Doesn't have to be a Martin.

Thanks for all the replies!
I love the 000-MMV, but unfortunately, it is 1 11/16".
Old 08-29-2018, 05:13 PM

The best modern Martin I've played is a friends D-16 Rosewood. It's a stunning guitar. The owner has a large collection of vintage and recent Martins, including guitars costing over 50 times the price of the D-16 and it either beats or at least holds it own with anything in room. The first time I played it I offered to buy it on the spot and he wisely declined. I would not hesitate to check out a Rosewood Martin 16 series.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion