The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-24-2024, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Default Lookin for a cover for guitar case when flying

This may seem silly, but while a guitar case will protect the guitar just fine, I am looking for a neoprene or some kind of cover for over my guitar case when traveling ... to protect from scuffs. Thinking my Santa Cruz cases which are beautiful in and of themselves and I would like to keep them that way. Anyone seen anything around?
Old 04-24-2024, 10:24 AM

It seems that the two companies I knew of are no longer in business: Colorado Case Company and Small Dog.
Old 04-24-2024, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EhPhil View Post
This may seem silly, but while a guitar case will protect the guitar just fine, I am looking for a neoprene or some kind of cover for over my guitar case when traveling ... to protect from scuffs. Thinking my Santa Cruz cases which are beautiful in and of themselves and I would like to keep them that way. Anyone seen anything around?
Not silly at all: in fact, at least through the early-1970's (and possibly beyond) all the major top-shelf makers listed dedicated case covers for their flagship models, to not only keep the cases as pristine as the contents within (anyone else here remember when players actually took care of their instruments - before damage was relabeled "mojo" and became a badge of honor...?), but provided additional protection from the elements at a time when many in-the-trenches guitarists traveled by taxi or public transit and "radio and heater" were additional-cost options on your typical family sedan. IMO the widespread availability of dedicated military-grade roadcases (which would, at the price of extreme weight, protect your gear from everything short of Armageddon) and the same inverse thinking that sets a premium on beat-up guitars killed them off by the late-70's as I recall, and while I understand there are still case covers to be had from independent sources they're few and far enough between that I've yet to see one in person...
Old 04-24-2024, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Caseadillo makes covers for Calton flight cases, but they should work fine for most hard cases. You can either buy them from Dream Guitars:

https://www.dreamguitars.com/product...o-case-covers/

or from Reverb:

https://reverb.com/shop/sam-guidry-guitars
2021 Preston Thompson SL-CMA
2020 SCGC 1934 D12 Custom
2018 SCGC 1934D
2014 Martin D28
Old 04-24-2024, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

I got a Caseadillo case cover for a Calton case (which I have since sold). It’s a little big for a standard Geib-style case, but not bad. The Caseadillo folks were at the Artisan Guitar Show this past weekend l, so are definitely in business.
Old 04-24-2024, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Everyone! The Caseadillos are great, but I am going to try the crossrock at a fraction of the cost and see how it goes.

https://crossrockcase.com/product/ca...erglass-cases/

$50 worth a try!
Old 04-24-2024, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks Everyone! The Caseadillos are great, but I am going to try the crossrock at a fraction of the cost and see how it goes.

https://crossrockcase.com/product/ca...erglass-cases/

$50 worth a try!
Good find! I may try one as well.
Old 04-24-2024, 06:43 PM
Musical minimalist

If your Santa Cruz is recent - it's an Ameritage and you'd likely need to get a case cover from them to fit - they are pretty square and bulky compared to most cases.

What size guitars are you trying to fit?

Just checked Ameritage site and they don't show them any longer - might take a phone call.

Old 04-24-2024, 06:49 PM

And why do you want to protect your case from scuffs?

I don't get it. Will you want a case cover cover to protect your case cover from scuffs? This way lies madness.

=O.
Old 04-24-2024, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
And why do you want to protect your case from scuffs?

I don't get it. Will you want a case cover cover to protect your case cover from scuffs? This way lies madness.

=O.
Because I have a really nice Ameritage Paisley case that I don't want to damage while loading it in and out of my vehicle. It's okay to protect assets. Especially those you value.
Old 04-24-2024, 07:41 PM

Just be aware that putting a case cover on over an already heavy Ameritage case will add a significant, discernible amount of additional weight.

whm
Old 04-24-2024, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

The Caseadillo cover is pretty light, even though it has some light padding in it. The Calton case weighed 18 pounds, so the cover was barely noticeable.

It hadn’t occurred to me to get a cover for the case cover. Would that make it a case cover cover? It’s turtles all the way down.
Old 04-24-2024, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

Great points all. I get the scoffing at a cover on a case ... I pride myself in keeping my guitars and cases in top condition. A personal thing. Most of my cases are nice leather, and getting a scrape bothers my OCD!

Great comments all!

Phil
Old 04-25-2024, 01:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdrew22 View Post
Because I have a really nice Ameritage Paisley case that I don't want to damage while loading it in and out of my vehicle. It's okay to protect assets. Especially those you value.
I get it. My answer would be to buy a Hiscox case for travelling, and leave the ‘beautiful, work-of-art’ case at home. That’s what I did to preserve the beauty of my Lowden’s Ameritage case. The guitar lives in the Ameritage at home, but goes gigging, to sessions etc. in its Hiscox (which is much, much lighter than the Ameritage, and very rugged and strong).

Just an idea, in the apparent absence of readily-available case covers.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 04-25-2024 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections
Old 04-25-2024, 08:43 AM

Here’s a another custom case company:
http://coonhollowcanvas.com/musicali...entcases-html/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion