The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-01-2015, 08:47 AM

Getting back to the original question, I suspect you would need to produce a copy of the original purchase receipt for warranty work...
Old 12-01-2015, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

The warranty verbiage protects the manufacturer, and that makes sense. I am sure there are situations where a used guitar develops some kind of issues, possibly in shipping, and they'd have to invest resources in figuring this out, or the local authorized repair tech would have to argue the cause. The original purchaser is protected, which is part of the reason why some buy new vs. buying used.

As an aside, I seem to recall stories/threads of Martin and Taylor (and I am sure others do this) who extend warranty courtesy where a used guitar was serviced free of charge if it is clearly a defect in the product and not as a result of mishandling. That works out well and is good press for them, especially in forums like this. And it is their prerogative to do so, just not an obligation.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 12-01-2015, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
One thing I have heard but cannot confirm is that dealers frequently "register" instruments that have been purchased through them... as a part of their official capacity as a dealer for "X brand" when keeping their inventory current.

In any event, it's totally illegal and dishonest to attempt to "register" a guitar as the original owner when you are NOT the original owner... frankly, I would be hesitant to even buy a guitar from anyone who made the claim that I could register it and receive warranty benefits... yet I do see the statement made many times, even in our Classifieds, about having the warranty card included...
I know..I've never done it...but I see it said a lot when folks are selling a guitar..that's why I was confused. I've never done it...just didn't seem right to me..
Old 12-01-2015, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Default exactly..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacks Focus View Post
I think the fact that you felt compelled to ask others' opinions tells me you understand that it's inherently unethical.
Yea..I've never done...never even thought about it till I saw the warranty card in my Colling's case...
Old 12-01-2015, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Default I agree..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceMusik View Post
That, and also requesting or suggesting PayPal "gift"/"friends and family" option be used for a merchandise transaction. Some people seem to think dishonesty is not a big deal. I wouldn't even buy a pack of strings from such people, let alone a guitar (yeah, they could just be clueless, but I don't know for sure, and I'd still rather not buy from a clueless person )
I agree...I feel the same way about saying my Bank Card is a credit card too...it's not...our bank is actually paying you money the more you do that...it must same them money...
Old 12-01-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
Yea..I've never done...never even thought about it till I saw the warranty card in my Colling's case...

I've registered some used guitars online too, with no expectations of getting free warranty work. It's a good way to get on the manufacturers email list.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
Getting back to the original question <snip>
Why would we want to do that?
Old 12-01-2015, 10:04 PM

I have sold several guitars I bought new and I've always told the buyer if it's a legit warranty claim to call me and I will file as the original owner. It's my personal warranty.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasworker View Post
I have sold several guitars I bought new and I've always told the buyer if it's a legit warranty claim to call me and I will file as the original owner. It's my personal warranty.
But you no longer own the guitar. You can't honestly file as an owner for something you don't own.

I just don't get why people can't just accept the terms of the warranty instead of conjuring up ways to try to get around them...
Old 12-02-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceMusik View Post
But you no longer own the guitar. You can't honestly file as an owner for something you don't own.

I just don't get why people can't just accept the terms of the warranty instead of conjuring up ways to try to get around them...
I am running a scam Jon but in all my years I have yet to consummate the crime. It's just a good deed that hasn't gone bad yet.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:21 PM

What's more interesting is that this question come's up at least once a year - so it can easily be searched as there are many, many threads just like this. Cheating is cheating and attempting to defraud the manufacturer when one has no legitimate claim to a warrenty, or it's provisions, simply shows one's character.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion