The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-23-2022, 08:23 PM

Default Yamaha L-10 given to me, help

Hi,

New here but my uncle gave me a guitar years ago, he said there was a house fire and he found it in the dumpster. He never learned to play it and he had it many years. He gave it to me before he died. I've been playing it for years without knowing anything about it, (that was before I was a guitar person) but now I know its an L-10. It's in terrible shape, I always used it as just a take-everywhere guitar. Before that though it was still in bad shape. Its cracking and warped and all that. But anyways! I cant seem to find this same guitar anywhere. It has an "L" inlay on the headstock. It says L10 on the inside but I cannot find one like it. Does anyone know anything about these?

I am going to take it in and see if it can be at least somewhat restored. More just because it is important to me than I care about what it's worth.

Thank you!
Old 03-23-2022, 09:09 PM

This is a really rare guitar! And very nice! The original L series, which you have, were made in a small shop in rural Japan. They were all hand made, very few machines in the shop. This guitar is the equal of a nice Martin and well worth getting fixed.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 03-24-2022, 11:29 AM

Have you seen the other post about the L-10 Yamaha. I found an old thread on the guitar and brought it up for you to see.
Old 03-25-2022, 12:50 PM

Default worth it!!

Definitely worth restoring!!! These are real fine quality guitars. I had an L-15a and an L-20a years ago and wish I'd kept them.
Yamaha still makes the L series, and they are great value. The 6 and 16's are made in China and the 26-36-56 are made in Japan. They have modified the line several times since the 1980's, which is where your L-10a (the original L series, 5a, 10a, 15a, 20a, and 25a, made in Taiwan)) is from. Does yours have electronics? I believe the L-10's from then were acoustic electric.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion