The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Yesterday when I logged onto the forum I read a thread about James Taylor, Olson guitars and Adamas strings. Since there was some conflicting information from different posters on the thread about the brand of strings that JT currently prefers, I decided that before I posted any response, I would call both the Breezy Ridge/John Pearse strings office and the custom guitar builder Jim Olson himself.
...Jim Olson is a little vague on the exact time frame of when JT had those Adamas strings,
...Since at least 1995 JT has used John Pearse strings exclusively.
Hi Wade & others...
I'm the one who mentioned the Pearse connection (at least one of the first who did). I didn't make it up, or just pull it from a hat or online interview…it came from Jame's Olson's mouth to my ear when he was preparing to ship my Olson to me.

I think I can help you zero in on the time frame a bit...in March 1993 my Olson arrived, and Jim told me of the James Taylor/Pearse string connection and it arrived with them on my Olson Dreadnaught straight from the shop.

He didn't tell me the weights of Jame's strings, so it's interesting that I've evolved into slightly light strings myself with my Olson. It's strung with .011 with the top string switched out to a .012. Best balance with my guitar.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-17-2012, 06:48 PM

Thanks, Larry. I appreciate your input to the earlier thread.

The reason I stayed out of yesterday's thread was that I hadn't yet talked to Jim Olson myself. I already knew that the Pearse strings are what he uses on the guitars he builds, but I'd been reading on this forum that James Taylor had started with John Pearse strings and switched to Adamas.

That, of course, turned out to be exactly backwards. You knew that, but I didn't.

Thanks again,

Wade
Old 08-17-2012, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Thanks for posting this, Wade.

As you mentioned, no big deal, but good to have it straightened out.

I'll be playing an Olson with John Pearse strings very soon.

Joe
Yup, and you are going to love it Joe!!!
Old 08-17-2012, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringMeUp View Post
I'm guessing you are correct, sir...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-17-2012, 10:01 PM

So...just so I can be sure. Which strings should I buy so's I can sound (as close as possible) to JT.

I can tell you my favorite JT album was (is) Flag which I believe was recorded in 1980. Next comes Hour Glass, October Road and then Never Die Young . I like the songs and impact Flag had on my life at that moment in time. Kinda a frozen snapshot of some very good "on the road" travels. Also a realization I like acoustic guitar better than electric.

Good gravy Hourglass. I mean what can anyone say about Hourglass. A recording and songwriting masterpiece. Almost endless sonic bliss. Reverbs that reset the very idea of reverbs. I dunno where to begin on this one.

Anyway..I've always used Adamas strings cause that's what I thought JT used. Now I've learned that's not the case. I'm confused. You guys think I should invest in a mess of John Pearse strings or stay with the 53 pack's of Adamas strings I've already purchased???

Last edited by Joseph Hanna; 08-18-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:05 PM

Joseph, I think the best way to sound as close as possible to the way James Taylor sounds is to work on your right hand technique and practice, man, practice!

I sure wouldn't change string brands until you've used up the sets you've already got, and I'm not sure it'll make all that much difference even then. Most of it is going to be in the hands.

whm
Old 08-17-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
So...just so I can be sure. Which strings should I buy so's I can sound (as close as possible) to JT.
JT's sound is probably 80% his technique, 15% his pick-up, 4.9% his guitar and 0.1% his strings.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringMeUp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
I'm guessing you are correct, sir...

Gents, ideally my SJ would've been built with rosewood, just like JT's guitar -- but I couldn't resist the call of the Tree.

I'll find out soon enough whether that was a good call...
Old 08-17-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by random works View Post
Can anyone describe the difference between JP strings and say Martin or D'Addario of the same gauge, core shape, and wrapping alloy?

I have never tried them..
I haven't used Martin PBs regularly, so I won't comment on them, other than the Marquis PBs are good. Here's my take on D'Addario PB vs John Pearse PB, in addition to what Wade has already said.

Especially when newly strung, the D'Addarios have a more pronounced overtone resonance - very pleasing sounding on standalone chords, especially ones that don't involve rapid changes. The D'Addarios are a bit diffuse for ideal single note clarity, although the sound is luscious and pleasing. Their biggest drawback is in ensemble playing, where their overtone rich sound makes the guitar less identifiable. The Pearse PB sound is somewhere between the D'Addario PB and a good 80/20 string: more harmonic resonance than an 80/20, but still having excellent primary note clarity. For this reason, the John Pearse PBs are my favorite strings.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:14 AM

John Pearse "Bluegrass" strings for me. Out of all that I have tried, especially on my favorite guitar, I believe that the combination of these particular strings, a nice tortoise shell pick, and my Adirondack/EIR Collings dread give me the best sound I have personally ever been able to produce on a guitar. YMMV.

I hear --- a complex resonance when playing with the fingers, along with a relaxed feel of balanced resistance against either hand -- bending is comfortable, and occasionally, restraint is necessary to keep notes from becoming sharp, but that is almost entirely due to operator error. Keeping the touch light in the fretting hand creates the best tonality, regardless of how lightly (or sharply) the fingers (or pick) may strike.

With a moderately thick pick and a favored bevel, the level of depth and projection in the sound has to be heard to be truly experienced. Or experienced to be truly heard; pick your poison. There are lots of dynamic levels available with these strings, and the reason for this, (I like to speculate, even at the risk of being exposed as being mistaken on the 'Net ) is because the level of tension against the bridge and the top, at what is basically the factory action level, I "feel" to be pert near optimal.

Other strings, in comparison, mostly leave me wanting. I have used different brands/alloys that held my attention in the past, such as nickel strings for a few weeks in the winter every year, and there are some that I consider very acceptable for occasional use; to diverge from the norm just for the heck of it (D'addario strings come to mind as being pretty darned good, and Newtone Double-Wound are very interesting) -- but the JP strings have a wonderful take on the different colors I can find in the trebles; a shadow of rock and roll electrical grit in the solidly defined mids, and a woody bottom end, with definite echos of the reverb you might encounter in a D-42 with a few years on it - say, 50-60 percent.

You can get richly lyrical (even in higher registers) and then have a change of heart, and start rockin' out, with a few chicken-pickin', country thumpin', bluegrass runs. (If you can picture that, we might be kin.) Course, you may not want any of that, and if not, I respect your decision, but take my word for it; it makes people jump around while eating burgers at the truck stop. I saw it myself.

Finally, the strings are no slouch when strumming, give it a thumb nail or a pick, and you get note definition with no discernible mud, with plenty of power in the punch. Turn the pick for extra bottom end, or angle back for rock-a-billy, and you know you're home. Lay in deep with a complex finger pattern, dig in with the slight edge of buzz for sizzle, and watch heads turn at the surprising sweetness and warm, round clarity of the voice, like a baritone singer with a richly expressive higher range.

Okay, I'm done slopping it on. Give 'em a go, you might be pleasantly surprised ... it'll be educational, at the least.

... JT
Old 08-18-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
JT's sound is probably 80% his technique, 15% his pick-up, 4.9% his guitar and 0.1% his strings.
Oh gosh guys now I'm embarrassed. That was all tongue in cheek. Here you guys are tryin to answer me sincerely. That's thoughtful Joe and Wade and I appreciate the sentiment, but I was just kidding
Old 08-18-2012, 08:27 AM

Default Hi Wade

Well I guess JT used Adamas at one time. I still love them.

As you know my experience with Pearss phosphor bronze was not stellar - though the sets you had sent directly to me were OK. Ordering them from JustStrings brought me dead strings.

I have no egoic investment in what JT plays. He can play Curt Mangan strings (ha ha) for all I care.

I just happen to like Adamas strings. To me they sound the best of all.

Cheers
Old 08-18-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Oh gosh guys now I'm embarrassed. That was all tongue in cheek. Here you guys are tryin to answer me sincerely. That's thoughtful Joe and Wade and I appreciate the sentiment, but I was just kidding
In this case I'd suggest you put on a set of Elixir and forget about all this... LOL
Old 08-18-2012, 03:03 PM

Russ Mason wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMason View Post
Well I guess JT used Adamas at one time. I still love them.

As you know my experience with Pearss phosphor bronze was not stellar - though the sets you had sent directly to me were OK. Ordering them from JustStrings brought me dead strings.

I have no egoic investment in what JT plays. He can play Curt Mangan strings (ha ha) for all I care.

I just happen to like Adamas strings. To me they sound the best of all.

Cheers
And that's all that counts. Use the strings that work best for you. As it happens, my guitar builder friend Duane Waterman happens to like Adamas strings a lot, too, and uses them on the guitars he builds when he can find them for sale locally.

I was confused by the chronology of events as they were reported on this forum, so I just wanted to clear that up mainly to satisfy my own curiosity. So I did.

In any event, we're fortunate to have as many excellent choices for strings as we have. There really aren't any truly bad choices - there are simply some strings that will work better for me than for you, and vice versa.

Anyway, no harm done. Your post prompted me to dig a little deeper, and that was a good thing.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-18-2012, 03:17 PM

Great post, JT! Thanks!!

whm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTFoote View Post
John Pearse "Bluegrass" strings for me. Out of all that I have tried, especially on my favorite guitar, I believe that the combination of these particular strings, a nice tortoise shell pick, and my Adirondack/EIR Collings dread give me the best sound I have personally ever been able to produce on a guitar. YMMV.

I hear --- a complex resonance when playing with the fingers, along with a relaxed feel of balanced resistance against either hand -- bending is comfortable, and occasionally, restraint is necessary to keep notes from becoming sharp, but that is almost entirely due to operator error. Keeping the touch light in the fretting hand creates the best tonality, regardless of how lightly (or sharply) the fingers (or pick) may strike.

With a moderately thick pick and a favored bevel, the level of depth and projection in the sound has to be heard to be truly experienced. Or experienced to be truly heard; pick your poison. There are lots of dynamic levels available with these strings, and the reason for this, (I like to speculate, even at the risk of being exposed as being mistaken on the 'Net ) is because the level of tension against the bridge and the top, at what is basically the factory action level, I "feel" to be pert near optimal.

Other strings, in comparison, mostly leave me wanting. I have used different brands/alloys that held my attention in the past, such as nickel strings for a few weeks in the winter every year, and there are some that I consider very acceptable for occasional use; to diverge from the norm just for the heck of it (D'addario strings come to mind as being pretty darned good, and Newtone Double-Wound are very interesting) -- but the JP strings have a wonderful take on the different colors I can find in the trebles; a shadow of rock and roll electrical grit in the solidly defined mids, and a woody bottom end, with definite echos of the reverb you might encounter in a D-42 with a few years on it - say, 50-60 percent.

You can get richly lyrical (even in higher registers) and then have a change of heart, and start rockin' out, with a few chicken-pickin', country thumpin', bluegrass runs. (If you can picture that, we might be kin.) Course, you may not want any of that, and if not, I respect your decision, but take my word for it; it makes people jump around while eating burgers at the truck stop. I saw it myself.

Finally, the strings are no slouch when strumming, give it a thumb nail or a pick, and you get note definition with no discernible mud, with plenty of power in the punch. Turn the pick for extra bottom end, or angle back for rock-a-billy, and you know you're home. Lay in deep with a complex finger pattern, dig in with the slight edge of buzz for sizzle, and watch heads turn at the surprising sweetness and warm, round clarity of the voice, like a baritone singer with a richly expressive higher range.

Okay, I'm done slopping it on. Give 'em a go, you might be pleasantly surprised ... it'll be educational, at the least.

... JT

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion