The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-23-2021, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Default I have to say - I am impressed with you all

I was a lurker for years on this site and finally joined about 5 years ago. I still don't post a bunch - but I have been doing so more during the scourge. What I really found fascinating is the amount of tremendously talented players that post here. I assume most of us here are not making a living playing but it is obviously a passion for the majority here - including myself. I have been playing for about 40 years and I would play all day if I could - so much to learn. It has been really cool to discover the depth of talent hidden in posts and links to audio/youtube, etc., so keep it up. I can also say very few forums are as congenial as this - I really appreciate that this group seems to treat each other with respect and kindness. Give yourself a pat on the back.
Old 08-23-2021, 08:39 PM

That’s very kind of you to say, Tempo. It is mostly a cordial group of people on this forum, and the moderators work their hardest to keep it that way - they’re really the unsung heroes on here!

whm
Old 08-23-2021, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Nice post ! I've seen a few disagreements, but never a personal insult or anything over the line. As it should be I guess. I think most of us enjoy the info and different opinions. At least I do.
Old 08-23-2021, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Glad that you decided to come out of lurker land, Tempo. We do pretty well her considering how passionate and opinionated most of us are. As Wade already cited, big kudos to our mods for their help in keeping it nice and respectful. Welcome to the fray. :-)
Best,
Jayne
Old 08-23-2021, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

The AGF is a good place. I probably spend way too much time here, but it always feels so comfortable! Glad you are here, Tempo!

- Glenn
Old 08-23-2021, 10:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempotantrum View Post
I was a lurker for years on this site and finally joined about 5 years ago. I still don't post a bunch - but I have been doing so more during the scourge. What I really found fascinating is the amount of tremendously talented players that post here. I assume most of us here are not making a living playing but it is obviously a passion for the majority here - including myself. I have been playing for about 40 years and I would play all day if I could - so much to learn. It has been really cool to discover the depth of talent hidden in posts and links to audio/youtube, etc., so keep it up. I can also say very few forums are as congenial as this - I really appreciate that this group seems to treat each other with respect and kindness. Give yourself a pat on the back.
I've pretty much become a rabid fan ever since 2014, when I first discovered this place.

So many people who know so much about guitars. I learn something new almost every time I'm on here.

Tempo: Lurk less, post more.

sm
Old 08-24-2021, 03:07 AM

This is a great forum with a large number of decent people who actively contribute to the high level of friendliness and professionalism. Ive learned a lot from people here for which I’m very grateful!

I’ve lurked occasionally on other forums and there are one or two where I didn’t stay long…

So, warm welcome! Glad you’ve decided to stay and become more active:
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 08-24-2021, 03:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempotantrum View Post
I can also say very few forums are as congenial as this - I really appreciate that this group seems to treat each other with respect and kindness. Give yourself a pat on the back.
^^^
THIS!

One of the main reasons I spend so much time here is because of the friendly, respectful attitudes of members here - so very different to some of the other dog-eat-dog, bearpit music forums I’ve made the mistake of participating in.

And even when we disagree, things generally remain civil. Strong rules, and firm-but-fair, even-handed moderation are the key, IMHO. I believe we all owe a debt of gratitude to our Moderation team - they’re doing a great job.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 08-24-2021, 03:27 AM

Tempo - I couldn’t agree more. AGF has changed me for the better also. Over the years I have become a much better self-editor. I have found that ‘snarkiness rarely elevates the argument and that we should all think twice before speaking. The population at large could learn a lot from this group.

Making music should be a joyous pursuit… there’s really very little to argue about, except perhaps, whether the tonal qualities of round core strings are truly superior to hex core strings…. and then, is one guitar really all you need to make music?

Kudos to JR for establishing the forum, and my compliments to the moderators. They work quietly in the background and take their job very seriously. Keep playin’

Best,

Rick

PS — to all, please consider contributing to the cause and become a charter member. Server and storage space costs $$$.
PPS - I have it on good authority that the moderators are doing such a good job that their pay will be doubled!

Last edited by srick; 08-24-2021 at 05:34 AM.
Old 08-24-2021, 03:44 AM

Have to agree, the folks here are very knowledgeable and willing to share that knowledge. I learn something almost daily.

Most of all they are good people. Thanks to everyone.

I have been on forums that have gotten down right nasty. That's one reason I left them. The mods here won't allow that to happen. Thanks to all the mods, it's a thankless task.

I have not meet anyone here in person, that I know of. But you can consider everyone a friend.

So quit lurking and post more.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 08-24-2021, 05:33 AM
Charter Member

An AGF thank you to you T.T.

Glad you've decided to join the cook-out more often instead of just peeking over the fence.
Old 08-24-2021, 05:34 AM
Charter Member

It is a wonderful group of people here - welcome to the club, Tempo.

I come here on most days for a break from the daily grind. I have made many good friends here - some are only in the virtual sense, and others I have met in person when one of us has travelled. Pretty cool!

Again, welcome! I hope your experience here just gets better with time!
Old 08-24-2021, 05:44 AM
Charter Member

I agree with all of the above. AGF is a great forum...there's been a lot of things Ive learned. Ive been helped by a few members thru private messages who answered questions for me. Ive even had a couple of pickups lent to me to try out. Ive had great transactions thru the classifieds. All of this with real friendly and guitar passionate people.

My favorite place to hang out...

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 08-24-2021, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

It really is a great place, Tempo. We're glad to have you. Looks like you need to post more though...
Old 08-24-2021, 06:20 AM

I am doing things a bit differently than you. I jumped in and put both front feet in the trough, but I share your opinion of the group, writ large. I come here daily and share my experiences over the last 15 months or so since I decided to fill my boring quarantine time with learning bluegrass flatpicking. Being here encourages me and really stimulates my desire to get better. I firmly believe that this forum and the generous people that populate it have helped me immensely. Thanks to all of you!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion