The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-23-2024, 06:33 PM

Default My affordable complete Electric Rig!

For anyone else like me, who has played acoustic for 20+ years. And just picked up an electric guitar 6 months ago… I’m really happy with this setup that has everything I need to take my electric guitar and effects/amp modeler in a gig bag to plug right into a sound system. (Or practice at home.)
(*Sorry no pics, I can’t figure them out on this forum…you can google the guitar and effects unit)

MY RIG:
Squire AffinityTelecaster (Natural) -$250
Gig bag -$30
Strap -$15
¼” Cable -$20
Boss GT-1 Multi-affects unit (Used) -$100
Power supply - $30
Additional footswitch for GT-1 -$35.
Homemade pedalboard to hold unit. FREE
*Telecaster upgrades:
-Tonerider “Hot classics” pickups -$90
-920d pre-wired control plate with 4-way switch all new pots and wiring -$100
-copper sheilding tape -$15
-labor for above, plus feet end dressing and set-up -FREE
TOTAL: $685.
Early 2000’s Tradition B-100 Electric Bass
2023 Taylor 214ce dlx ziricote
(Boss GT-1 for all of them)
Old 04-24-2024, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyfreddy View Post
For anyone else like me, who has played acoustic for 20+ years. And just picked up an electric guitar 6 months ago… I’m really happy with this setup that has everything I need to take my electric guitar and effects/amp modeler in a gig bag to plug right into a sound system. (Or practice at home)...
Speaking as a fellow bargain hunter I agree 100% that it's convenient and cheap (FWIW several years ago I picked up a few stompbox amps myself, for similar reasons - and IME a well-built entry-level instrument makes an excellent mod platform) but as you get into electric more and develop the requisite touch/technique - I'm sure you're finding out that it takes a somewhat different approach - you're going to want to move some air and get into the "tone zone," just you and your fingers running guitar-cable-amp and letting the magic happen. If you haven't done so already visit your friendly local guitar shop, plug into a couple classic low-/mid-powered tube combo amps (Fender, Marshall, Vox, et al.) just for the heluvit, and see for yourself what the buzz is all about - you may just find out that old-school is still cool...

In the meantime use it well, often, and LOUD...
Old 04-24-2024, 07:16 AM

You could have bought a nice used CV Tele for less than you have into the Affinity. They used to come with Tonerider pickups in them...
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 04-24-2024, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

You did not mention that when home if you play entirely un-amplified or plug into an existing amp or PA (if the latter should probably factor that cost in as well)

Just a warning about Mr DeRosa-- be careful his siren song about electric guitars and amps can have you tempted into pulling out your wallet

After one of his posts about a Supro Sale at Sweetwater
I went from a perfectly good Orange Solid State RT 20 1X8 combo==

And now look how I ended up , thanks Steve .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-24-2024, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
...Just a warning about Mr DeRosa - be careful. His siren song about electric guitars and amps can have you tempted into pulling out your wallet

After one of his posts about a Supro sale at Sweetwater I went from a perfectly good Orange Solid State RT-20 1X8 combo==

And now look how I ended up - thanks Steve ...
As you say, Kev - enjoy the journey...

BTW, have you checked out the 50% off Guild rockabilly/jazzbox sale @ Sweetwater :

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tar-gold-coast
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ar-canyon-dusk

Just had my early-2K's Carlo Robelli ES-500 (Sam Ash house brand, made in Korea by Peerless) '53 ES-5 knockoff modded with "Mickey Baker" wiring and a Byrdland tailpiece, or I would have been all over the 3-PU X-350 Stratford while it was srtill available...
Old 04-24-2024, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

You have a nice setup. I went with a 60's vibe Squire tele and a Fender champ amp and am loving it. What gig bag did you get for you tele for $30 as this intrigues me!?
Old 04-24-2024, 12:38 PM

You don't need a modeler. You do need a tube amp.

Now you know!
Old 04-24-2024, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Speaking as a fellow bargain hunter I agree 100% that it's convenient and cheap (FWIW several years ago I picked up a few stompbox amps myself, for similar reasons - and IME a well-built entry-level instrument makes an excellent mod platform) but as you get into electric more and develop the requisite touch/technique - I'm sure you're finding out that it takes a somewhat different approach - you're going to want to move some air and get into the "tone zone," just you and your fingers running guitar-cable-amp and letting the magic happen. If you haven't done so already visit your friendly local guitar shop, plug into a couple classic low-/mid-powered tube combo amps (Fender, Marshall, Vox, et al.) just for the heluvit, and see for yourself what the buzz is all about - you may just find out that old-school is still cool...

In the meantime use it well, often, and LOUD...

I don’t doubt that tube amps sound better, However, I am at heart a minimalist, and the idea that I can carry everything in a gig bag is extremely appealing. Having done the work to get the guitar the way I like it, and settled on the GT1 as a perfectly usable platform for anything I want to play….and knowing my own history and desires…I could easily keep this setup for a decade or two…
Old 04-27-2024, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
You could have bought a nice used CV Tele for less than you have into the Affinity. They used to come with Tonerider pickups in them...
I said a lot of research and almost went that way…a few reasons I didn’t:
-I did not like the gloss neck on the CV.
-I did like the belly cut on the affinity.

Others I found out later:
-I like to tinker, and now have a good story, and the pots and wiring and 4 way switch are way better than a CV would have.
-I got the Hot Classic pickups, not the vintage ones.
-
Old 04-27-2024, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyfreddy View Post
For anyone else like me, who has played acoustic for 20+ years. And just picked up an electric guitar 6 months ago… I’m really happy with this setup that has everything I need to take my electric guitar and effects/amp modeler in a gig bag to plug right into a sound system. (Or practice at home.)
(*Sorry no pics, I can’t figure them out on this forum…you can google the guitar and effects unit)

MY RIG:
Squire AffinityTelecaster (Natural) -$250
Gig bag -$30
Strap -$15
¼” Cable -$20
Boss GT-1 Multi-affects unit (Used) -$100
Power supply - $30
Additional footswitch for GT-1 -$35.
Homemade pedalboard to hold unit. FREE
*Telecaster upgrades:
-Tonerider “Hot classics” pickups -$90
-920d pre-wired control plate with 4-way switch all new pots and wiring -$100
-copper sheilding tape -$15
-labor for above, plus feet end dressing and set-up -FREE
TOTAL: $685.
This is a great setup, and one that can keep you busy/happy for years to come. I just recently rebuilt my electric rig for about $1300, which, to me, is still quite a bit of money. But I'm very happy with it.

The trouble that I have discovered with the electric guitar world is the endless tinkering (e.g. - this pedal, that set of PUPs, these new strings to try, etc, etc.). I'm trying very hard to get out of that rut and just make music. YMMV. Best of luck in your electric journey!
Old 04-27-2024, 07:52 AM

At the moment I'm looking for a good Trem-Delay-Chorus pedal/pedals for my electric rig but here is mine:

Epiphone ES339PRO P90 Limited (Cherry)
or
Fender Affinity Squire Strat(Vintage burst) with a stew-mac custom Creme 2-P90 pickguard and two Mighty-Mite pickups and Trem Blocked

into a Vox Mini Super Beatle Stack

My Toys:
Taylor AD17e (Ovangkol)
Guild "Bob Marley"
Epiphone ES339Pro P90 Limited
Fender Affinity Strat Custom W/P90's

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars