The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2001, 11:01 AM

Cool BEST BANK FOR THE BUCK TAYLOR!

Just out of curiosity what do you think is the best bang for the buck taylor? Please dont tell me because thats what you own because I own a few and they cant all be the best bang for the buck. This is my opinion. I own a baby, big baby,310K,514ce,K14C, and a 910B. It was a hard chioce to make when it come to the best taylor for the dollars spent but here is my vote. It was almost a photo finish between the Big baby and the 310K. The 310K cost in real world prices about 2.5 times as much as the big baby but both are great guitars. The big baby is a great travel guitar but not something I would want to play the rest of my life. I think it is a great starter(best)or travel but for a lifetime guitar that you can play day in and day out the 310K is my favorite best bang for the buck. The 310 is almost neck and neck but I just like the KOA. The 310K will do anything a Martin D-28 will do at 1/3 the price. It sounds better than anything within an additional 1K price range. Not puttin down Martin at all as they build a fine guitar. I will be the first to admit that when you are the Guitar all others are compared too(Martin), you have to be good. So I give the 310K two thumbs up and my vote for best bang for the buck.(yes I own one but I sold the first and went back and bought another). JW
Old 02-21-2001, 12:04 PM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Thumbs up

Hi JW,
I think your correct about the 310 but I also believe that any 300 series is about the best guitar you can buy in their price range. They are not my favorite Taylor but they are GREAT guitars. I currently have a 355, which I am not sure I am keeping only because I just don't play it much. But it is an incredible 12 string for the price. I have tried much more expensive "other brand" 12s that just don't compare in sound and come no where close in playability.
Bill
Old 02-21-2001, 01:13 PM
Shea

Hey JW, I think the 300 series in general is the best bang for the buck. I was going to purchase a 314Kce until I had the chance to play a 514. The money to sound ratio (hehe) made me think for a little while. I most likely will purchase a 310 as my 2nd Taylor.

Shea
Old 02-21-2001, 02:51 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Thumbs up

Definitely, the 300 series offers the best bang for the buck in my opinion. They're great playing, great sounding, well-built guitars at a great price. Actually, I think the 3xxK series is the best value, but since those are limited editions...

Second would be a tie between the 500 and 700 series, which offer upper-end features at a decent price. Both series of guitars use traditional tonewoods (except cedar), and have the upgraded electronics (on "E" models).

But if I had to pick just one Taylor guitar to own, it would be the 614CE. While the guitar isn't exactly modestly priced, it offers a lot of features and options, as well as great looks for the money. The 600 series is a favorite of players who play live regularly, for a few reasons. First, these guitars look great on stage in their stunning colors and 3pc fretboard inlays, polished ebony headstock, etc. Second, maple offers better feedback resistance, which is a big plus on stage. Third, I've noticed that my 614CE seems less affected by temperature changes. (This might be a characteristic of the maple, or could be my imagination ). Plus, the 600 series comes with the upgraded electronics package with onboard preamp for ultimate control on stage. All of this doesn't mean that the 600 has poor unplugged tone. Exactly the opposite. The maple bodied guitars are loved by many, including myself, because of their excellent tone, and very even string-to-string response. I've played my 614CE live in front of small audiences on two occasions unplugged, and many people commented on how good the guitar sounded.

J.R.
Old 02-21-2001, 04:50 PM

I'd have to say the 414c. Once again I played through all of the Taylors in the acoustic room at the Atlanta GC keep coming back to the 414c. This happens almost everywhere I try them out. I'd own one of these except I took myself out of the market for another 6 when I bought my Lowden F25.

The other Taylor I really like although I have only seen and played one is the Jewell model.
Old 02-21-2001, 05:05 PM

This does violate JW's request for not praising what you own (a little), but I would have to give it to the 300K's. Not mine exactly, I think that the 314k or the 310k without the ce is probably the absolute best value out there in Taylorland. Wish I had the means to grab a 310k just for the heck of it.

Old 02-21-2001, 05:37 PM

Cool

Its ok to praise what you own because those that have one taylor have made that choice already. I had a 310K that I sold to Chuck but ended up missing it so much I bought another before they all got gone. There were only 360 made and Ive played at least ten of them and owned two. Selling of one and buying another is not very profitable but I decided to swallow my pride and admit to being to fast to sell. I already knew it was a super guitar but it was it or my martin D-45. Sorry not a hard choice. But being such a great guitar I found a way to get another. This one is not for sale. So I do own what I consider the best bang for the buck guitar. I do consider My K14C as my favorite but it cost three time as much. I really like my 514ce also. My 910B at over 4 times the cost(special order) of the 310K doesnt sound much better and is not worth the differance. I hate to admit that I feel like I wasted that much money but I may change my mind over time. The 310K sounds better than anything that Ive played that cost twice as much. If I didnt think it such a great guitar I wouldnt have bought the second one. If the 310K wasnt there my vote would go 310 or 314C. Its bad when they are all great!! Or is it? JW
Old 02-21-2001, 06:11 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

I really wish Taylor would add the 300K series to their regular lineup. A modest priced Koa guitar would be a big hit and consistent seller in my opinion. Maybe to keep numbers down, they could only offer it in two models or something... like a 314KCE and a 310K or something. Either way, I think this is one of the best guitars they've ever made for the money.

J.R.
Old 02-21-2001, 06:26 PM

I would have to say any of the 300 series Taylors. I got a special deal on my 310K, (thanks JW! God will bless you richly for letting me have that guitar for a song, pardon the pun).

At the current time I can't think of any other Taylor that gives the same tone for the same money.

I will have to say though, that the Big Baby is an honorable mention in this category, amazing tone and playability!

------------------
Later,
Chuck
- Psalm 150
Old 02-21-2001, 07:41 PM

I agree that the 300ks are great guitars, they are a great value.

I would like to throw another into the conversation.

It's a 25th anniversary mahogany topped 310-mce that I bought last year. I am so surprized that these limited models have not generated more of a buzz. What do you all think of these? Has anyone tried one or seen one? I have only seen one 314mce and the 310-mce that I own.

The sapele back and sides are perfect in every way, the grain is tight and forms very nice lines throughout, the best sapele back I have ever seen. The African Mahogany top I have is intense, very cool looking and very well matched. I wish I had access to a digital camera, I will work on that. The headstock has a 25th anniversay logo that is done very nicely, and the binding is a nice cream color that works very well with the mahogany top.

The mahogany top really warms up the sapele and you get a nice full, rich tone but it keeps the sapele clarity.

This guitar really is a great instrument!!
Old 02-21-2001, 08:28 PM

I have a 414K, a '99 model essentially the same as the current 314K but without the back inlay. (despite being a 414 it has a black binding) I agree that these special edition Koas are real bargains. I might be persuaded to part with my 710 but never my 414K.

I don't think it can become a regular model because of how I was told Taylor generates these guitars. The get KOA in batches some is presentation quality, some is K series quality and some is just KOA. When they get enough of the latter saved up, the build a special edition 3xx or 4xx series.

To my taste, however, the 4xx guitars have the best sound/$ ratio in the standard series wood. My final decision was between a 414K, a 414 and a 410. The money difference between the 3xx and 4xx couldn't make up for the sound difference. The best sounding 3xx at the time I was buying was a 314MCE.

Since the 3xx and 4xx cover the major tone bases they really have to qualify as dual best buys.

------------------
George Wilson
Old 02-21-2001, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Erm:

It's a 25th anniversary mahogany topped 310-mce that I bought last year. I am so surprized that these limited models have not generated more of a buzz. What do you all think of these? Has anyone tried one or seen one? I have only seen one 314mce and the 310-mce that I own.

I have the 314mce and think it is also one of the best "bang-for-the-bucks" models they have made. I was excited when I heard they were making them and was anxious to play one. My roommate, on the other hand, didn't want a thing to do with a dark-topped guitar. Well, the dealer got one in. I played it. Oooooooo. My roommate didn't want to play it at all. I grabbed her, took her into the tryout room, and said, "PLAY!" Then I left. Ten minutes later, she sheepishly came out of the room, guitar in hand, and said, "I like it..." Then she bought it.

The three and four hundred series are definitely the best solid-wood guitar bargain out there. Case in point -- During a "garage sale" at one dealer, this older gentleman and a younger man were trying out guitars. The young man also sang to the older man's playing. Seeing if the guitar would be a good match for his voice. Then the young man sat down and played many of the Taylors and other brands that were there. He kept coming back to this one 414ce. Something magical about it. He decided to buy it. The cool thing was somehow the top got switched and this 414ce had an abalone rosette. But I know that wasn't the determining factor in his purchase -- the young man is blind.

[This message has been edited by trombone (edited 02-21-2001).]
Old 02-21-2001, 11:51 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Hey, the 3xxMCE is no slouch, either. The one 314MCE that I played sounded really nice and warm. It wasn't terribly punchy, but it really had a nice sound. Plus, they look great, in my opinion. I wish I had a picture of one of those in the gallery (wink, wink - nudge, nudge)

J.R.
Old 02-22-2001, 09:13 AM

Cool

It seems to be aparant that the 3xxk series is a big hit. I would love to find a 314K with no electronics. to go with my 310K. I dont like the electronics they put in these but I woulnt mind the blender system in the 314K. I saw a 314Kce back in Oct. 2000 that came with the blender but I didnt buy it. But I would be satisfied with just a plain old 314K. But right now I think Ive come to end of my TAS because Its real easy to deplete the funds with TAS. I hope Taylor continues the 3xxK line. As many guitars as I own(lost count)and as many really nice guitars I own. My 310K is the hands downs killer deal best bang for the buck of all of them. Yeah chuck you got it for a song but you bid the highest but the person that gets the next one will have to pay concert price . I am glad it found a great home and it made me learn a lesson. WHEN YOU KNOW ITS GREAT...KEEP IT!!! By the way the new one sounds great and was third in line after yours. They were born on the same day. probobly on the same bench together. How about that!!JW
Old 02-22-2001, 09:32 AM

Talking

JW, that is so cool about our 310K's.

I tell you what, I have 3 friends that own Taylors here in Wichita and we all play at church and each others houses.
I am constantly having to take my 310K back from them. One has and 810ce that he plays all the time, the other a 714ce and the other a 510e no c. They won't leave my 310K alone. I guess I need to see if they make an anti-theft device like "The Club" for a guitar. Maybe if I e-mail Bob, he'd add that to this years line.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion