The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-02-2024, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwards View Post
“If you walk through a Guitar Center, you see an awful lot of $300 guitars. If I’m a serious musician, it doesn’t feel like the right place for me anymore”:

Article with new Guitar Center CEO

I have no take on this, we don't have Guitar Center in the UK so I have no experience. Just sharing.
Not sure they were ever considered the "right place" by high end buyers but his point is valid. When the "investors" got them and saddled them with all that debt, anything high end disappeared from the shelves. Vendors dropped them because they were not getting paid. If they fix their financials, they might have a shot. They have been trying to be Sweetwater of late calling be out of the blue to see if they can help... That's nice, but its out of order and was frankly poorly executed. They need to demonstrate they are worth my attention before calling people blindly with nothing substantive to talk about
Old 05-02-2024, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
Love it or not, GC is the place with the largest selection in my area. They don't have everything I'd like to sample, but they have a range of guitars from the top companies like Martin, Taylor, Gibson, and Guild. Again, not everything, but a decent selection. And I also keep an eye on the stuff they take in trade.

I went there yesterday hoping to find a Yamaha FG9 but no bueno. I did play a Martin 0012-28 that I freaking fell in love with...

I also tried out another dozen or so guitar ranging from $500 to $5000. There aren't any other places near me where I can do that.

I've gotten to know one of the guys there pretty well and we talked about this article. His biggest concern is managing the inventory if they bring in even more higher dollar guitars. As it is now, nothing is under lock and key. The 000-12 28 was hanging on the wall right above a Taylor 214ce and within reach of anyone who might want to try it. All it takes is a ding or chip and now it's technically damaged and that creates a whole process for the GC employee to deal with...

Anyway, I like the thought of GC finding better ways to service the customers searching for higher end guitars. But I think, in addition to getting better high end inventory, they also will need to do something to protect that inventory and do some kind of screening on who can pull them out and play them.

Man, that 0012-28 was amazing...
All of their competitors have managed to do it. Maybe they need to take a field trip...
Old 05-02-2024, 07:39 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiowonderland View Post
All of their competitors have managed to do it. Maybe they need to take a field trip...
There are no competitors in the KC area that have anywhere near the selection of Guitar Center. Not sure who competes with them on the national level, though.

As far as in-store management and execution, I don't have any idea how it should 'best be handled'... but I know that right now I can walk in and pick up anything from a sub-$200 Fender or Gretsch up to a $4500 limited edition Taylor 814ce. There are something like 20 or so acoustics in the $2000-$4000 range... and there are 2 more GC locations in the KC metro area that have slightly different selection... and that doesn't include the used guitars they've taken in on trades.

At my GC location the inventory is on the floor/wall and as far as I can tell, there isn't any locked away. I'm not sure about the other 2 KC locations, but since they are in more urban areas I suspect they have more security on their inventory. I keep meaning to visit them but haven't yet...

I also visit a local guitar store/dealer near my office that has fewer guitars but carries others you don't typically find at GC, like Dowina, Lowden, and Furch.

I like small, independently owned guitar stores, but there just aren't many left.
Old 05-02-2024, 02:53 PM

GC for used gear, big yes on that!

Decent prices, more or less, but if you find something you like it's a good deal. Especially since their return policy still applies if you end up not liking it ...where are you ever going to get that deal on used gear?!! Not only GC online but GC used on the floor is a good place to demo.

The only minor niggle here is that they don't budge on the used gear. I "heard" from an insider that the item has to be listed for like 90 days before they will even entertain an offer. Not deal killer imo.

Edward
Old 05-02-2024, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
I like small, independently owned guitar stores, but there just aren't many left.
Where I am (northwest Washington—no not Seattle). The music store in our town’s bread and butter is lessons, school band/orchestra rentals, and entry level instruments. Thus they have no acoustic guitars stocked over $600 (and only Fender, Alvarez, Ibanez, and Luna). Anything more is via prepaid and nonrefundable special order. Though, they’re the only store near me that stocks 80/20 bronze strings (everyone else only has phosphor bronze and nickel bronze). However, another locally owned store, about 30 minutes away is better stocked than a GC in about everything. We have a regional chain, Kennelly Keys, with a location about 90 minutes away closer to Seattle. They are well stocked and also stock Eastman and Godin products. The only problem is it involves getting close the metro area and it’s awful traffic. Our nearest Guitar Center (about 50 minutes away) is pretty weak. There’s another store not far from there, but it’s tiny and their acoustic selection is weak (electric everywhere, though).
Fender FA100
Yamaha LS16M
Old 05-02-2024, 09:06 PM

For guitars, all they carry is Fender, Ibanez, Luna, and Alvarez. I could order a Masterworks or Paramount if I wanted from them, but it has to be paid up front and there are no returns on special orders so it would be sight unseen.

I've special ordered electronics and guitars and never had an issue returning them. Even used equipment falls under the 45 day no questions asked return policy. What specific guitar did you order or want to?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion