The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-22-2024, 04:38 PM

Wink Acoustic effects ? Anybody use em?

I use a few things on my acoustic pedal board reverb chorus delay etc but when im heading out for simple gigs i use a multi effect pedal.....currently a zoom A1Xfour pedal . I like it a lot . It gives you a pedal board within a pedal . For example I can construct a patch that has a comp an eq a chorus and trem and i can assign the foot pedal to control the volume . It lets you toggle thru all your virtual pedals and turn them off and on in real time just like a physical pedal board . It has tons of really usable effects and the guitarlab software lets you swap out and add even more great effects like modulation and even overdrives .....it's really cool ! . While obviously not nearly as good as the different effects it purports to emulate , it does give reasonable facsimiles of fishman , LR Baggs eqs and loads of other famous kinds of compressions and chorus and reverbs and overdrives and also tons of emulations of famous guitar body sounds d18 . j45 ovations etc..... it's pretty dang good for the price . .....it's a swiss army knife that fits into a gig bag ......id love to hear about other peoples rigs that they use for live acoustic work .
Old 04-22-2024, 06:48 PM

My dedicated acoustic-electric pedalboard has...
1) LR Baggs Voiceprint DI
Effects loop out to...
2) Korg Pitch-black tuner to
3) Ernie Ball VP Jr
4) Electro-Harmonix Canyon Delay
5) TC Electronic Corona Chorus
6) Strymon Bluesky Reverb
7) TC Electronic Ditto looper
Back into the effects loop in of the Voiceprint and out via XLR

All power is supplied by a Onespot CS6

Usually I only use the Strymon and the Corona.

I run my IR on the Voiceprint at about 75% of the "voice"

I am fortunate to own a Yamaha AG Stomp.

I also have a Trace Elliot acoustic multi-effects preamp (Transit A) that a bandmate uses.
Old 04-22-2024, 07:38 PM

My pedal board consists of:
1. Mic and guitar into TC Helicon Voicetone for vocal harmony used sparingly
2. LR Baggs Align Series Equalizer...always on
3. Blues Driver BD-2...used sparingly for thicker sound
4. TC Electronics Mimic(doubler) for bigger guitar sound...always on
5. Walrus Audio SLO for ambient sounds
6. Keeley Bubletron for Phase and Flange

This is a simple way to get good sound with options for a variety of effects. All this goes into a Rivera Acoustic Amp and/or two Bose S1 Pro's on poles.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 04-22-2024, 08:08 PM

those that want that sort of sound do
Old 04-22-2024, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

I like my Acoustic FlyRig. I mostly use the eq and delay. Need that slap delay for my Stray Cats covers I also an EHX 720 Looper.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

Last edited by jricc; 04-23-2024 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-22-2024, 09:21 PM

I have a Mooer Yellow compressor and a TC Hall of Fame 2 reverb in my preamp (Grace Alix) effects loop. I use the HoF "mash" feature occasionally to add a little swell or shimmer in certain parts of a few songs. I don't see the need for a lot of effects on my acoustic.

However, for my electric, I bring a Boss GT1000 Core to the party. Gotta have some country twang, some of that rockabilly slapback, a clean jazz tone, or a bit of crunch depending on the song.
Old 04-22-2024, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

The bottom board is my dedicated acoustic board. The bigger one above it does triple duty for electric or acoustic or doubling with bass.

The bottom board

Sonic tuner -> Ibanez mini chorus -> Jam Pedals Harmonious Monk -> Diamond Comp/EQ -> El Capistan -> Empress Para Eq dlx

The El Cap is always on, the harmonic trem is always on for dobro (along with the delay). Chorus gets used on a few songs on acoustic, and para eq is for dealing with weird rooms or balancing outputs of different pickups.

The bigger board has a couple of dirt options and critically an IR pedal so I can use the dirt into a PA or acoustic style amp (in my case, a Henriksen Bud 10).

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 04-22-2024, 09:43 PM

I love the true stereo reverb and chorus built in to my Cube EX. I normally use reverb 100% of the time when I'm using the amp and I use the chorus maybe 10% of the time.

Pedal-wise, only a EHX 1440 stereo looper.

Other "acoustic" players sound great with effects, though. I love Richard Thompson's live stage setup where he often uses a small amount of distortion and slap back echo where appropriate.

Another player who likes the acoustic guitar with effects (sometimes a LOT of effects...) is John Smith:

Last edited by Rudy4; 04-23-2024 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-23-2024, 12:50 AM
Charter Member

Default Performing clean....

I have to perform "clean" when I play solo spots at concerts locally each month with our towns Welsh MVC. Because the hotels/churches/village halls etc where we sing do not have pa systems.

So I have taken to doing the same for open mic's and other gigs with pa systems. I just use one lcd mic' or two dynamic mic's as sound reinforcement.

It's quite an exposing way to perform. I have to really think about creating arrangements that will work for bare voice and guitar. But I like to play that way. Truly "unplugged".

I have nothing against performers using effects for acoustic guitar and voice. And enjoy watching folks who do. But, for me, performing "clean" is a path that I want to explore. At least for the present.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 04-23-2024, 05:14 AM
Charter Member

I use the same device and have since it hit the market. Only one item on the floor in front of me, I don’t have to do a tap dance to get what I want. I only use a few effects so I set one effect per patch. I set the pedal on “volume” on all of the patches I use, which also serves as a great mute. I’m all about keeping it simple.
Old 04-23-2024, 06:48 AM

a player's gear (any instrument) speaks volumes about the player...with less, better yet none, there's nothing to hide behind, a clean acoustic is the cat's meow (perfect)

use to have to sub drummers occasionally and if one showed up with more than a 4-5 piece set a train wreck was in the makings

no pedals, no effects, acoustic or electric
Old 04-23-2024, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Fishman Tone DEQ and Boss RC-5 looper.

Typically use a little reverb and compression on the DEQ, and not much else.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 04-23-2024, 09:25 AM

I play solo acoustic gigs as follows:

K&K equipped Martin Dread > Pedals shown below > Fishman Performer amp.

While the amp has many of these effects built in, it's much faster to just stomp on a preset pedal vs having to spin dials on the amp.

The Mosaic pedal is used to mimic the sound of a 12 string.

Old 04-23-2024, 09:44 AM

Yes, of course. Lots of people do.

But except for EQ pedals (more on that below), I don't. Effects are good for electric guitar, but I spend too much money on acoustic instruments to want to kill their voices. Would Gary Davis or Doc Watson or John Hurt or Wille McTell or Norman Blake have sounded better through a chorus or flange or reverb or overdrive?

At acoustic gigs, which is all I have anymore, I play everything clean: flattop, roundneck reso, squareneck reso, mandolin, and blues harps. I do have to EQ them separately so I can switch from one to the other without adjusting anything, but at events where all I have is one flattop, I don't use an EQ.

On electric, I like overdrive, tremolo, and reverb. The guitars themselves are the smallest part of what makes the sound, and the amp is the biggest. It's already a distorted sound, so bringing in some effects doesn't hurt anything.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:19 AM

I do it one way and one way only:

Tube Screamer -> Tube Screamer -> Tube Screamer -> Tube Screamer.

(I use reverb+delay and compression)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification