The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-25-2024, 03:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Opinions about a Taylor

This one caught my eye. I realize it has a solid top w/"layered" back and sides but even at that, the price seems very reasonable. I would really appreciate input from anyone who owns one or has played one, while understanding that describing the sound of any guitar is totally subjective. Thanks!

Taylor 50th-anniversary 217e-SB Plus
Old 03-25-2024, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

I like the Grand Pacific Taylor bodies. I personally wouldn't have any qualms about the layered back and sides, but the 1 11/16" nut would be a non-starter for me...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-25-2024, 09:55 PM

I'd direct you to these recent and very long threads chock-full of opinions on Taylor.

* What's the draw of Taylor guitars? https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=683426
* Thoughts on Taylor's new 50th anniversary line? https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=680777

Of Taylor's current lineup, I do think the xx7 Grand Pacific body is their best one. That said, I wouldn't be interested in a laminate back and sides guitar, especially considering how much Taylor charges for it. I'd rather get a used Taylor 310 or 317 instead. Solid wood, 1.75" nut and made in USA.
Old 03-26-2024, 03:32 AM

One positive for Taylor guitars is the bolt on neck, especially if you aint got the $600 for a Martin neck reset. I think (in general) you can get the action/playability in a better spot more easily than a glued neck. I did mine last summer and didn't touch the saddle height, only readjusted the neck angle. I like this, as I dont lose any height from the saddle or lessen the break angle over the saddle, but the action is perfect.
Old 03-26-2024, 05:24 AM

I have the A17 1st gen... Its the guitar that stopped the hunt and it's my only acoustic, no need for another one
Old 03-26-2024, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
This one caught my eye. I realize it has a solid top w/"layered" back and sides but even at that, the price seems very reasonable. I would really appreciate input from anyone who owns one or has played one, while understanding that describing the sound of any guitar is totally subjective. Thanks!

Taylor 50th-anniversary 217e-SB Plus
1. The NT neck is fabulous and has made me a Taylor die-hard over decades. Not merely to avoid the "neck reset" headache, but to maintain utterly perfect geometry, and thus action/playability, at every junction as the guitar ages with minimal cost and zero intrusion to the guitar by design. No other maker can claim that, none. This ain't fan-boy hyperbole; the design and execution is baked into the Taylor formula and is fact.

2. The GP bodies are cool dreds: big tone and arguably more comfortable than a trad dred shape.

3. The layered approach is not mere laminate. Do not confuse this with a cheap build: Taylor uses poplar for the bulk of the material, then uses a super-thin veneer of whatever species for the model as an aesthetic move. And the back is arched for strength and tone and has no bracing whatsoever. This ain't no "plywood" guitar.

4. The 100/200 series are one of their best "value" guitar lines IME. 100% Taylor DNA and craftsmanship with fewer doo-dads to keep the cost down. It's a fabulous guitar line that requires no explanation or excuses.

5. None of the above matters a whit if you do't like the tone. If I didn't already own a stellar dred, the GP would be right on my list as it's a great build that Taylor does well with.

Edward

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion