The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-27-2024, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Default Time of year matters

From November to May is pretty much a slower time of the year for sales. There are holidays and Christmas expenses followed by tax time. I rarely list during this time.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 03-27-2024, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifivic View Post
Best post this year award!!! They also get top dollar. In my many years on the guitar/amp merry go round EVERY BRAND of boutique product takes an absolute beating on the used market. Santa Cruz, Lowden, Bourgeous and Collings, I've taken a beating on all of them. In the electric world Fender and Gibson always hold their value because of the name just like Martin and Gibson.
I've taken beatings on Victoria amps, Tone King, Carr, Dr Z, Suhr, Boogie however a Fender amp or guitar holds top dollar.
Boutique bicycles and watches share the same demise unfortunately. Both Trek and Rolex make quite average goods but command the big resell dollars.
I have no plans to sell my Gibsons, but yes, they will always command premium prices.

I don’t own a Rolex. I don’t even wear a watch, but I just bought my 10 year old son and I a couple of Treks to ride. They are a good brand, and a good value. We are simple trail riders. I didn’t need anything too serious for MTB. I have no plans to ever sell them, but while looking at used listings, I did notice they hold their value fairly well…That’s why I bought new.
Old 03-27-2024, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

I live in Canada, buy/sell a fair bit. 6 months of the year are local sales only for acoustics (my thing) The cold makes shipping a non starter. I consigned 5 mid level guitars, and an amp thru a local guitar shop over winter, so funds are ready come spring for something special!
Old 03-27-2024, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
The Candy Store is open for biz. I believe this makes sense!
Want to downsize your collection? Not destitute yet? Trade two for one, or three for one…

Not sure why more folks don’t sell here? Complete specs, and description and clear well lit pics aren’t that difficult. Dealing with AGFers is usually easy. Try to talk on the phone!!!
Shipping is NOT that much hassle once you figure it out. INSURANCE, great packing, and prayer have worked for me! Haha

Want my list of shipping tips? PM me. Hope to help!

Play on

Paul
I’m honestly a bit timid about trying to sell here, and my reason is because one guy’s “great condition” and mine may not be the same. Describing condition to someone who may put the guitar under a microscope is something I don’t know how to deal with. I realize most guys here are pretty normal, or seem to be, and I’m guessing they are realistic, but I have never listed a guitar for sale here for that very reason. I don’t know every single spec of every guitar I own, and I don’t have gauges or any of that stuff to tell a potential buyer what the exact height of the low E at the 12th fret…Stuff like that makes it more painful for me.

Of course, I have nothing for sale as of now so it doesn’t really matter at this point in time.
Old 03-27-2024, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickcity View Post
I’m honestly a bit timid about trying to sell here, and my reason is because one guy’s “great condition” and mine may not be the same. Describing condition to someone who may put the guitar under a microscope is something I don’t know how to deal with. I realize most guys here are pretty normal, or seem to be, and I’m guessing they are realistic, but I have never listed a guitar for sale here for that very reason. I don’t know every single spec of every guitar I own, and I don’t have gauges or any of that stuff to tell a potential buyer what the exact height of the low E at the 12th fret…Stuff like that makes it more painful for me.

Of course, I have nothing for sale as of now so it doesn’t really matter at this point in time.
Pictures. Lots and lots of pictures from different angles and distances.
Old 03-27-2024, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Smile Measurement tools

Hey pickcity

Your concerns make sense. One reason I always try to talk with the potential buyer on the phone. You get a much better sense of folks when talking than typing.

You can snag inexpensive calipers and steel rules on Amazon and they will be there next time you go to sell one…

Or you can consign, if selling is too much stress. I don’t usually mind selling but I am NOT NORMAL. Hahah

Be well and play pretty

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-27-2024, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickcity View Post
I’m honestly a bit timid about trying to sell here
Not just for the issues you listed (which are all valid). I also don't sell on here (or other online forums) because guitars are pretty easy to move on Craigslist and you deal face to face. They can see the guitars in person and I get cash. Once the transaction is done, it's done. (Plus, I meet many fine and interesting buyers.)
Old 03-27-2024, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post
Pictures. Lots and lots of pictures from different angles and distances.
This makes sense. If only I were a better photographer. LOL…I’m not the worst, but I need more practice. Don’t we all..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1 View Post
Not just for the issues you listed (which are all valid). I also don't sell on here (or other online forums) because guitars are pretty easy to move on Craigslist and you deal face to face. They can see the guitars in person and I get cash. Once the transaction is done, it's done. (Plus, I meet many fine and interesting buyers.)
This is usually how I do it as well, or marketplace. Heck, marketplace is one of the only reasons I get on FB.

Like you, I would much prefer to sell face to face.
Old 03-27-2024, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1 View Post
I have the same successful experience as you with local sales. I have met some amazing people and very talented players face-to-face while selling and buying guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion