The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-09-2015, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Default Popular Song Lyrics

http://theantimedia.org/how-popular-...erican-idiocy/

Interesting though not exactly an acoustic guitar story. I doubt that anyone that anyone at this forum will be surprised.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:52 AM

Its either the music or those darned video games!!
'99 HD28V
'99 Gibson WM-00
'75 Takamine "guild" Jumbo
'46 Harmony Silvertone H700
'12 GS-Mini
'?? Epiphone Dr-212
CSU Rams
Old 06-09-2015, 12:02 PM

No, not many will be surprised but it's nonetheless quite informative so thank you for posting.

As a songwriter this is why I'm drawn to current songwwriters such as Taylor Goldsmith of "Dawes". It's why Jackson Browne made me desire to write songs in the first place.

Not surprising, but not unexpected.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-09-2015, 12:22 PM

Good article - thanks for posting. I guess most of us intuitively knew this already, but the author articulated it perfectly. I wish he would have included some examples; I'm woefully (perhaps blissfully) ignorant of modern lyrics. I just know somethin' ain't right.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:32 PM

A) I don't think young people listen to radio that much
B) You can't force people to listen to the music you think is best for them
C) Levels of intellect are probably at an all time high
D) In my opinion, we're in a fantastic age of music where you don't need radio or labels. Hip hop, rock, country, folk, etc... are all fantastic right now. Probably at least as good as late 80s early 90s music. 15 years ago, if you wanted to listen to something like Jason Isbell or Aesop Rock then good luck finding their music. The less gatekeepers the better as far as I'm concerned. Anyone can make it 'big' at this point. Sure the top will make less but the money is spread out more.
'99 HD28V
'99 Gibson WM-00
'75 Takamine "guild" Jumbo
'46 Harmony Silvertone H700
'12 GS-Mini
'?? Epiphone Dr-212
CSU Rams
Old 06-09-2015, 02:17 PM

Goodness, gracious great balls of fire!

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 06-09-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_russell View Post
http://theantimedia.org/how-popular-...erican-idiocy/

Interesting though not exactly an acoustic guitar story. I doubt that anyone that anyone at this forum will be surprised.
This is done purposely by the gate keepers for the purpose of making the product (music) more marketable. There are publishers in both LA and Nashville who will refuse to publish or pitch a song if the lyrics are too complex. I've heard a publisher say "it's just not everyday language for our demographic" or even "it's too poetic". It's nothing new and they are right. Most of their audience would be lost on more complex lyrics. They want a simple message that fits in a proven template. That's a low risk investment for them. If a sign artist has built up a reputation and been a high earner and their contract allows they can get creative on a few album cuts, but even if their contract allows that then someone has to pitch those songs to radio and mainstream radio has a certain template for each genre.

If you want to hear contemporary artist going deeper lyrically you need to look at Indie artist and Folk musicians. I always pay close attention the lyrics and tend to listen mostly to artist that put a lot of work into the lyrics and I love when the lyrics actually have a message (Bob Dylan, Pete Seeger). American Folk music was born in a rebel spirit and has always been about the lyrics trying to say something. Going back to Woody Guthrie's This Land Is Your Land (1944). Guthrie was a working class man. He was on the streets and hitching rides on trains. He was offended that an upper class Broadway songwriter (Irving Berlin) had written what was becoming the patriotic anthem (God Bless America) of the United States during the great depression when so many Americans were struggling. When I was growing up we would sing This Land Is Your Land in school, but the controversial verse was always omitted.

Nobody living can ever stop me,
As I go walking that freedom highway;
Nobody living can ever make me turn back
This land was made for you and me.
In the squares of the city, In the shadow of a steeple;
By the relief office, I'd seen my people.
As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking,
Is this land made for you and me?

As I read these lyrics I picture Woodie Guthrie in his worn out overalls and beat up Gibson J-45 walking though the camps of the homeless playing this song for the people probably yelling out "Irving Berling wants you to sing about how much God has blessed America. Well I bet many of you aren't feeling very blessed right now. I have a song for you". The point is music that's trying to really say something goes deeper, but when it does it usual only find a niche audience and it also usually offends a certain group. You'll always have those looking at the musician thinking "it's just words and music, why don't you go actually do something". They don't get the power of music and how the musician is doing something by writing songs that resonate in the hearts of people who get together and collectively turn them into anthems as they go do something.

Here are a few modern songs that go more complex without going off the deep into into their own artistic wonderland. There are probably better examples, but here are a few I think find sweet spot.

Conor Orberst song for you

And as bonus here's a Wilco song

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine

Last edited by Rmz76; 06-09-2015 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:54 PM

Ah, the Dumbing Down of America... What would Marshall McLuhan say?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion